Questions About Rebuilding Kit Car Engine After Sump Hole & Seizure

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, Ok, so I was driving the kit car last weekend, and unbeknownst to me, I developed a hole in the sump, lost all my oil, and the engine seized (ok by that time it was no longer unbeknownst). So, this weekend I went to collect a couple of spares. The first is a direct replacement, it's been stood for 10 years and has also seized but only from age. Apparently this engine was running well but using a bit of oil before it was removed. The second is a short block; also seized from age and very dirty, but has reinforced bearing caps. My initial plan was to swap my broken engine with the first one, free it up with some Diesel
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, so I was driving the kit car last weekend, and unbeknownst to me, I developed a hole in the sump, lost all my oil, and the engine seized (ok by that time it was no longer unbeknownst).

So, this weekend I went to collect a couple of spares. The first is a direct replacement, it's been stood for 10 years and has also seized but only from age. Apparently this engine was running well but using a bit of oil before it was removed.

The second is a short block; also seized from age and very dirty, but has reinforced bearing caps.

My initial plan was to swap my broken engine with the first one, free it up with some Diesel and persuasion, and run it for the summer, put up with the smokiness, and rebuild my broken engine with the short block into a decent, strong, mildly tuned engine over the winter.

Now, I've been offered a third engine by a bloke at work. It runs, it's a direct replacement, but with Hepolite pistons, a stage 3 head, a rally camshaft, big valves, and twin 45 Weber DCOEs. It's also got a competition clutch and a Quaife 5-speed straight cut gearbox.

ARRRGHHHH help me make the decision!

Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
Ok, so I was driving the kit car last weekend, and unbeknownst to me, I developed a hole in the sump, lost all my oil, and the engine seized (ok by that time it was no longer unbeknownst).

So, this weekend I went to collect a couple of spares. The first is a direct replacement, it's been stood for 10 years and has also seized but only from age. Apparently this engine was running well but using a bit of oil before it was removed.

The second is a short block; also seized from age and very dirty, but has reinforced bearing caps.

My initial plan was to swap my broken engine with the first one, free it up with some Diesel and persuasion, and run it for the summer, put up with the smokiness, and rebuild my broken engine with the short block into a decent, strong, mildly tuned engine over the winter.

Now, I've been offered a third engine by a bloke at work. It runs, it's a direct replacement, but with Hepolite pistons, a stage 3 head, a rally camshaft, big valves, and twin 45 Weber DCOEs. It's also got a competition clutch and a Quaife 5-speed straight cut gearbox.

ARRRGHHHH help me make the decision!

No dilema old chap, the last option is obvious choise.
and may be some bigger wheels so your sump does not drag on the ground
:smile:

wolram said:
No dilema old chap, the last option is obvious choise.
and may be some bigger wheels so your sump does not drag on the ground
:smile:

I think I'd have to look at a dry sump conversion. I like my 13" Minilites, and I'm sure you'll respect that! Am gradually talking myself into that beast of an engine though. Clutchless gearchanges! :!)

It's a no-brainer, Brewski... definitely the tweaked one. And might I suggest an oil-pressure cutoff switch? It also makes a good theft deterent, if no one knows where the bypass switch is.

1. What causes a sump hole and engine seizure in a kit car?

A sump hole and engine seizure in a kit car can be caused by various factors, such as low oil levels, poor maintenance, or mechanical issues. It is important to regularly check and maintain your kit car to prevent these issues.

2. How do I know if my kit car engine has been damaged by a sump hole and seizure?

If your kit car's engine has experienced a sump hole and seizure, you may notice symptoms such as unusual noises, decreased performance, or difficulty starting the engine. It is best to have a professional mechanic inspect and diagnose any potential damage.

3. Can a kit car engine be rebuilt after a sump hole and seizure?

Yes, a kit car engine can be rebuilt after a sump hole and seizure. However, the extent of the damage will determine the cost and feasibility of rebuilding. It is important to consult with a mechanic to assess the damage and determine the best course of action.

4. What is involved in rebuilding a kit car engine after a sump hole and seizure?

Rebuilding a kit car engine after a sump hole and seizure involves removing the damaged components, cleaning and inspecting the engine, replacing any damaged parts, and reassembling the engine. It is a complex and time-consuming process that should be done by a professional mechanic.

5. How can I prevent a sump hole and engine seizure in my kit car?

To prevent a sump hole and engine seizure in your kit car, it is important to regularly check and maintain your oil levels, perform routine maintenance, and address any mechanical issues promptly. It is also recommended to use high-quality oil and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your specific kit car model.