Questions about Robotics - Universities, Pre-requisites, Opinions, Career, etc.

In summary: Japan?)In summary, there are many options for pursuing a career in robotics, such as research, development, and various specializations. Some relevant courses include computer engineering, computer science, and electrical engineering, with a focus on IT being a common choice. Robotics is an interdisciplinary field with applications in various industries, and specialization is often necessary. Carnegie Mellon University has a highly regarded program in robotics, and computer vision is a fundamental part of this field. However, it can also be taught as an independent subject. Mechanical and electrical engineering are often seen as more suitable for a career in robotics, as robotics involves constructing machines that can perform tasks repeatedly and reliably. There are also opportunities in the service industry, particularly with the aging population in countries like Japan
TheSuu
Hello,

I would like to pursue a career in Robotics. I am aware of the various options in this but have not yet decided which path to follow(i.e. Research, Development, etc). Some of my favorite subjects in school include Maths & IT. I am also quite comfortable with Physics but absolutely cannot stand Chemistry. I will be entering university in a short while and would like to ask your opinions on the following:

1) For my Bachelors Degree, which course do you recommend? I am looking at Computer Engineering, Computer Science. I would like to tend towards IT as that is where my main interest lies. That is the reason I am not looking at Electrical Engineering(which is apparently included in CE). Also, are there any other relevant courses?

2) From my research, I have noticed that Robotics is a specialization. Is this true? If so, are there any courses which are compulsory in order to complete my Masters in Robotics? (I am looking at universities in USA).

3) Lastly looking at jobs, is there a demand for such a qualification? I have a sinking feeling that there is not much scope for this qualification, but I really want someone to prove me wrong.

I am extremely passionate about a career in Robotics and I am doing everything possible to understand all aspects of it. I thank you for reading this post and eagerly await your replies. Finally, I would appreciate any tips/tricks :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A few years ago I had the same interest in robotics and I found a few schools that actually have robotics as a major, but if I were you I would go through the engineering route, and with that in mind it would probably be Electrical Engineering, and then probably in grad school you can become even more specific in what you want to do if you still want to go into robotics. The most useful application for robots that I can think of is with the military if you know what I mean. Having robotic vehicles and things of that nature can be extremely beneficial on the front lines and in the future maybe have some terminators fighting our battles. I know there are more uses for this field but that is the only one that comes to mind right now. Hope that helps a bit.

Robotics is an interdesciplinary field, using techniques ranging from electrical to mechanical engineering, as well as math and computer science. It also has many field of applications, such as manufacturing, space exploration, medical, etc. Depends on what you find interesting, you would have to what to specialize.
CMU seems to have a very good program in robotics, with many experts from different fields. take a look at their website: http://www.ri.cmu.edu/

All about Robotics

chingkui said:
CMU seems to have a very good program in robotics, with many experts from different fields. take a look at their website: http://www.ri.cmu.edu/

Thank you for the link chingkui. I had a look at it and it has given me some excellent information. I am especially interested in space exploration(Mars Exploration Rovers, etc), obviously all from the Robotics/Computer Science side.

On a side note, after looking at the "Computer Science" article in wikipedia. I have a burning question. After looking at the various graduate courses, I was satisfied to see Robotics listed there. However, the choice of "Computer Vision" confused me as I thought that Computer Vision was a part of Robotics. It seems that I am wrong.

The reason for my confusion is to me, computer vision should be a fundamental part of Robotics. Is it taught at a higher level when chosen by itself?

Thx again,
Suu

No one interested in robotics? What tosh! Just look:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobs/CK045/16_Erasmus-Mundus_Studentships/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same exact question as you, for better chances of ending up in the robotics industry, which is a wiser decision: computer science or computer engineering?

If you are really interested in a career in robotics, you may want to pursue mechanical and/or electrical engineering. Specialized degrees in Robotics or Mechatronics are available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and if you really want to have a career in this field this is the way to go. However, since this does not seem to be an option, ME or EE is probably better for undergrad. Why do I say this?

I am not a robotics engineer, but I do spec out and buy industrial robots from other companies. When I need help on a robot, I have a team of a design engineer with a mechanical background and a controls engineer with an electrial background. I do have a coworker whose degree is in mechatronics, but she is a process engineer. The basic tasks for most robots are probably industrial in nature at this point in time. I think space exploration is very cool, but be aware that there are probably more positions supplying robots for manufacturing processes.

What you would find if you look closely at specialized programs such as the one at Carnegie Mellon linked above is they draw heavily from ME and EE. There are lots of other fun subjects that are studied, such as AI and machine vision, but neither computer science nor computer engineering are the best preparation for robotics. There probably are tricky programming problems to be solved, but the basic problems to be solved involve actually constructing a machhine that has the required number of axes, can reach as far as you need it to, and will do its assigned tasks X thousand times without breaking.

As for computer or machine vision, it is often taught as applied statistics, because Bayesian inference techniques are very valuable in this field.

^ But surely you're referring to industrial/manufacturing robotics, no? What about service-providing ones which they predict that by 2020, will become prevalent in countries where the demographics are skewing toward old age?

(such as Korea)

I'm not holding my breath.

1. What universities offer degree programs in Robotics?

Some universities that offer degree programs in Robotics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pennsylvania, Georgia Institute of Technology, and University of Michigan.

2. What are the pre-requisites for studying Robotics at the university level?

Pre-requisites may vary depending on the university and program, but some common requirements may include a strong background in math and physics, programming skills, and experience with mechanical or electrical engineering.

3. What are some opinions on the future of Robotics?

Opinions on the future of Robotics vary, but many experts believe that robotics will continue to advance and play a significant role in industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, and transportation. Some also have concerns about the potential impact on the workforce and ethical considerations.

4. What career opportunities are available in Robotics?

Career opportunities in Robotics include roles such as Robotics Engineer, Software Developer, Automation Engineer, Research Scientist, and Technical Support Engineer. These roles can be found in various industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, aerospace, and defense.

5. Is studying Robotics a good career choice?

Studying Robotics can be a good career choice for individuals who have a passion for technology and innovation, and enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking. With the continued advancement of technology, there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in Robotics, making it a promising career path.