In summary, Jedishrfu suggests taking some free online courses in mechatronics, robotics, and programming in order to get started in the robotics field, and to have a better chance of landing a job in the field. Other mentors with more ME/Robotics experience will likely have more insight to offer.
Alma
Hello Everyone,

I posted in Physics Forums back in 2011 trying to figure out what undergraduate Major to choose based off my interests. I had received very positive feedback then and am seeking more advice now that I am further along in my career.

I am a recent undergrad graduate with a major in Engineering Physics; this major is a multi-disciplinary major including Advanced Physics, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Programming. I have just completed an internship at NASA (which was not in the area of Robotics but in Aeronautics, another interest of mine that I would like to ultimately combine with Robotics) and would like to move further into the area of robotics. With that said, my biggest struggle is this:

1. Do I try and get a job / internship in the area of robotics and go back to school later?
2. OR do I immediately get into a Masters Degree program in Robotics and find a job later? If so, should I try and pick a school near a bunch of robotic companies? I ask this because my hometown has a robotics program but does not have robotics companies near by, which would require me to relocate and pay out of state tuition.
3. I am ultimately looking to work on robotics involved in exoskeleton suits, would you know of any places offering internships in this area?

I am struggling with the order to which I should do things. From what I understand, to work with/on Robots, I need more education. If you have any insight on this topic or have experienced this yourself, I would appreciate the advice.

Thank you all so much, your advice is priceless!

Physics news on Phys.org
Companies often hire based on the skills you have shown on your resume so not having robotics listed means they won't consider you for such positions.

My suggestion is to take some mechatronics, robotics and programming courses get your masters and/or PhD and then seek out companies doing research in robotics which is the current state of affairs in most robotics today.

Other mentors with more ME/Robotics experience should comment on your post shortly.

jedishrfu said:
Companies often hire based on the skills you have shown on your resume so not having robotics listed means they won't consider you for such positions.

My suggestion is to take some mechatronics, robotics and programming courses get your masters and/or PhD and then seek out companies doing research in robotics which is the current state of affairs in most robotics today.

Other mentors with more ME/Robotics experience should comment on your post shortly.

Thank you jedishrfu.

Are you saying to take a few (free?) online courses in mechatronics, robotics and programming to start the ball rolling, then later dive into a masters program? And in general, would you know if a Masters program in Robotics is enough to get a job in the field, or do most companies prefer to hire those that have also completed there phD in Robotics?

Sometimes serious hobbies listed on a resume can get your foot in the door. When I've interviewed students I'm more interested in the ones who have hobbies related to the job they've applied to. Hobbies show me that they have more than just an academic interest in the job.

For your case. It wouldn't hurt to develop a hobby in doing a robotic project that featured homework and sw components.

Also if you have the chance take some paid courses in programming micro controllers and mechatronics having academic credit lends credibility to your resume.

Last edited:
Alma said:
Hello Everyone,

I posted in Physics Forums back in 2011 trying to figure out what undergraduate Major to choose based off my interests. I had received very positive feedback then and am seeking more advice now that I am further along in my career.

I am a recent undergrad graduate with a major in Engineering Physics; this major is a multi-disciplinary major including Advanced Physics, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Programming. I have just completed an internship at NASA (which was not in the area of Robotics but in Aeronautics, another interest of mine that I would like to ultimately combine with Robotics) and would like to move further into the area of robotics. With that said, my biggest struggle is this:

1. Do I try and get a job / internship in the area of robotics and go back to school later?
2. OR do I immediately get into a Masters Degree program in Robotics and find a job later? If so, should I try and pick a school near a bunch of robotic companies? I ask this because my hometown has a robotics program but does not have robotics companies near by, which would require me to relocate and pay out of state tuition.
3. I am ultimately looking to work on robotics involved in exoskeleton suits, would you know of any places offering internships in this area?

I am struggling with the order to which I should do things. From what I understand, to work with/on Robots, I need more education. If you have any insight on this topic or have experienced this yourself, I would appreciate the advice.

Thank you all so much, your advice is priceless!
My two cents.

If you want to do advanced development and/or research get your masters first. While you might consider yourself qualified for advanced jobs, some employers might not. You might be able to land a robotics job with just an undergrad degree, but chances are more likely that it is a support role where you implement code and do "grunt work" (even if it is analysis) as opposed to the "interesting stuff."

jedishrfu said:
Sometimes serious hobbies listed on a resume can get your foot in the door. When I've interviewed students I'm more interested in the ones who have hobbies related to the job they've applied to. Hobbies show me that they have more than just an academic interest in the job.

For your case. It wouldn't hurt to develop a hobby in doing a robotic project that featured homework and sw components.

Also if you have the chance take some paid courses in programming micro controllers and mechatronics having academic credit lends credibility to your resume.

Thanks for the advice. A little background on myself, I do work on projects with some homework and sw components, but my trouble is receiving replies from companies because I do not have a Masters in Robotics; I feel that I am not looked at as seriously. This is what is prompted me to maybe continue school first. With that said, I do like your idea of taking a few elective courses in my area of interest to potentially get a job.

donpacino said:
My two cents.

If you want to do advanced development and/or research get your masters first. While you might consider yourself qualified for advanced jobs, some employers might not. You might be able to land a robotics job with just an undergrad degree, but chances are more likely that it is a support role where you implement code and do "grunt work" (even if it is analysis) as opposed to the "interesting stuff."

Thanks for the reply. I understand that I'm not as qualified as someone with a Masters and,from the sound of it, will have to get my degree first. With that said, do you think there is an advantage to landing a job as an undergraduate, getting the experience, then going back to school? Or if the goal is to do the "interesting stuff" longterm, just go straight for the Masters then the job?

Alma said:
Thanks for the reply. I understand that I'm not as qualified as someone with a Masters and,from the sound of it, will have to get my degree first. With that said, do you think there is an advantage to landing a job as an undergraduate, getting the experience, then going back to school? Or if the goal is to do the "interesting stuff" longterm, just go straight for the Masters then the job?
SO I got a job and got my masters at the same time. Its a lot of work but worth it to get the masters
It was nice having the money, but sometimes I wish I went straight for the masters. I had to try a lot harder to prove I was capable of doing higher level work.

Alma said:
Thanks for the advice. A little background on myself, I do work on projects with some homework and sw components, but my trouble is receiving replies from companies because I do not have a Masters in Robotics; I feel that I am not looked at as seriously. This is what is prompted me to maybe continue school first. With that said, I do like your idea of taking a few elective courses in my area of interest to potentially get a job.

This is the reality of hiring. Companies select people based on proven experience as shown on your resume. They figure that the right candidate will come along with that experience and so they wait. Showing an interest isn't enough unless you have someone on the inside that can pull you in because they know your skills and drive. However, sometimes the hobby approach may get you a chance at an interview and from there its your ability to convince the interviewer that you can do the job and do it heads above any other candidate which is a pretty tough sell that saves the day. (Even then sometimes you might get lucky if they are desperate for a viable candidate usually small startups think this way).

1. What educational background is necessary to pursue a career in robotics?

The most common educational background for a career in robotics is a degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering. However, other fields such as mathematics, physics, and even biology can also provide a strong foundation for a career in robotics. Additionally, many universities offer specialized programs in robotics, which can provide a more focused education in this field.

2. What skills are needed to succeed in the field of robotics?

Some essential skills for a career in robotics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages such as C++ and Python, and a strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems. Additionally, having a creative and innovative mindset, as well as excellent communication and teamwork skills, can also be beneficial in this field.

3. Is a graduate degree necessary to work in the robotics industry?

While a graduate degree may not be required for all positions in the robotics industry, it can provide a significant advantage. Many companies prefer candidates with a graduate degree, especially for more advanced and research-oriented roles. Additionally, a graduate degree can also provide a more in-depth understanding of robotics and its applications, which can be valuable in this field.

4. What are some common job opportunities in the field of robotics?

Some common job opportunities in the field of robotics include robotics engineer, software engineer, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, research scientist, and data scientist. Other roles such as project manager, systems analyst, and technical sales engineer may also be available in the robotics industry.

5. How can I gain practical experience in robotics?

To gain practical experience in robotics, you can participate in robotics-related internships, research projects, or competitions. You can also join robotics clubs or organizations at your university or attend workshops and conferences related to robotics. Additionally, working on personal projects and creating a portfolio of your work can also help you gain practical experience and stand out to potential employers.