Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the basic properties of Integers

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    I am starting Number Theory this semester. My professor hands out notes but there is no textbook for the class. So hopefully you guys can help me with these seemingly easy problems.

Z = {...,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5,...}
    Z is used to denote the set of integers

1) Show that if a is an element of Z and 0< a, then 1<=a

2) Let a and b be integers. Let us say that a divides b if there is an integer c such that b = ac. Show that if b>0 and a divides b then a<=b.

All we have learned so far are basic arithmetic properties, the Well-Ordering Principle, and the Induction Principle.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    I am not sure what you are allowed to use but it seems like you have some ordering on the integers that gives you an idea 0f < and <=. What is that?

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Hey sorry I don't understand. In class, some students attempted solutions but the solutions didn't satisfy the professor.

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4
    what definition of < are you using?

The reason I ask is that I don't see what allows you to say that any number is greater or less than any other. Why is 3 < 12?

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    I don't know what kind of definitions there are. But since this was the first day, and the professor didn't say anything, I suppose we use the general definitions? I guess that's too vauge.

7. Jan 21, 2010 #6
    What wofsy wants is the answer to the question
    If a<b how does a-b relate to 0? The general definition of "<" will do fine.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook