1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions bout the Chloride Shift in R.B.cell

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    Hi, i have a question bout the chloride shift that occurs in the red blood cell. After the carbon dioxide has dissociated into the Red Blood Cell's plasma and became H+ and HCO3- i would like to know why must the HCO3- must go out and combine with the Sodium ions and since the H+ ions have combined with Hemoglobin, Hb. Why is Cl- still needed and shifted into the Red Blood Cell? Doesn't H.Hb is already neutralized?

Sorry if you think this is a very easy question, but my book just told me there is a chloride shift, there is no explanation given on the mechanism. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    A wild guess:
    Maybe there's not much space for all that HCO3- in the RBC, its m.wt. being 61 and for Cl- it is 35 ?

A better guess I think would be the altered pH of the RBC cytosol due to HCO3- accumulating in it causes it to become more basic?
    Maybe the HCO3- may try to displace the H+ from H.Hb hence it has to be transported out?

Cl- is anyway needed for the maintainance of the osmolarity
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?