Questions of Self-studies in Maths

• Thread starter Shing
  • Start date
In summary: Evelyn:In summary, the person is considering which fields of mathematics to study at the same time and recommends that the person start with calculus and then move onto linear algebra and vector calculus. They also suggest looking for books on the topic.
Shing
Presently,
I am following three paths of studies in Maths at the same time.

1. elementary Set theory. (College year 1 level) ( I just started.)

2. Calculus (High school level) ( I am almost finished 2/3)

3. 3-D vectors ,Matrices and linear algebra, complex number. (high school level) ( I just started)

May I have your suggestions, please?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that's a great site, especially for the calculus part. About a year ago I used it a lot while in High School, trying to study by myself out of interest for the subject. It did pay off when I got into university and didn't have to study calculus and differential equations for an entire year. What really surprised me was my Math prof puting the same link on his website.

Thanks!
That is so good!
I found out how to download it!

Last edited:
daniel_i_l said:
You should take a look at this site:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
for the calculus and linear algebra.

Seems more application based than true exploration of mathematical theory, as I see no proofs being presented.

I think the link was meant as auxiliary tool, as in integration techniques, but Werg is right depending on what is your interest focused on: pure or applied. You should definitely concentrate on books. I'm sure mathematicians here will give you great advice regarding this.

I am interested in pure more,
but I think applied is also important.

So I will focus on pure more than applied, But I still will study some applied.

One is inclusive of the other: if you learn pure, you'll have no problem with applied. Take a look at the book recommendation board on this forum, you'll find a great deal of suggestions. But I noticed: why focus on three branches, especially when you're at a different level in each? I suggest you focus on calculus first, as it's the best way to sharpen your understanding of mathematics. I personally learned calculus through Courant, whom I recommend, but there are many other books for you to chose.

Last edited:
Werg22 said:
One is inclusive of the other: if you learn pure, you'll have no problem with applied. Take a look at the book recommendation board on this forum, you'll find a great deal of suggestions. But I noticed: why focus on three branches, especially when you're at a different level in each? I suggest you focus on calculus first, as it's the best way to sharpen your understanding of mathematics. I personally learned calculus through Courant, whom I recommend, but there are many other books for you to chose.

While it's true that if you understand the pure you'll have no trouble with the applied, I also have noticed that if you first parcatice the practical part ie: knowing how to solve problems, then when you start reading up on the pure part you can understand it much faster as you're already familier with the material.
And about what to learn first. I can see why you recommend calculus, but there're also reasons to start with LA. For one, it's easier that cal, but it's logic is very intutitive and it let's you get familier with mathamatical proofs.

May I know what LA is?
So is that you mean I should learn LA and logic , set theory first and then calculus then 3-D vectors ,Matrices and linear algebra, complex number?
But I think deeper calculus required knowledge in complex number, Matrices... right?

LA=Linear Algebra

Linear algebra is much better for learning how to write proofs, so it should suit your pure math interests. You might have proofs in a calc course, but not as many (unless it's actually an analysis course, which would probably be too advanced at your stage).

FAQ: Questions of Self-studies in Maths

1. What is the importance of self-studies in maths?

Self-studies in maths are important because they allow individuals to take ownership of their learning and progress at their own pace. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and self-discipline.

2. How can I effectively study maths on my own?

To effectively study maths on your own, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts and principles involved. Practice regularly, use resources such as textbooks and online tutorials, and seek help from teachers or peers when needed.

3. What are some techniques for self-assessment in maths?

Some techniques for self-assessment in maths include solving practice problems, taking self-tests, creating flashcards, and explaining the concepts to someone else. Reflecting on mistakes and understanding areas of weakness can also aid in self-assessment.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying maths on my own?

To stay motivated while studying maths on your own, set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. Break up studying into smaller chunks and take breaks when needed. Also, remind yourself of the benefits of self-study and the progress you have made so far.

5. What are some common challenges faced during self-studies in maths?

Some common challenges faced during self-studies in maths include lack of motivation, difficulty understanding complex concepts, and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of material. It is important to address these challenges by seeking help, breaking down tasks into smaller parts, and utilizing effective study techniques.