Questions on classical mechanics

1. Hi
    Question 1
    i was wondering if there is any method to find the point from which the angular momentum is a conserved quantity. let me e.g. choose the case of a planet moving in an orbit around the sun. In this case, the angular momentum measured from the center of mass as the point of reference is conserved. But if i choose a different point, that is not exactly on the line connecting the planet and the sun, then the angular momentum is varying with time. so how do i found out how to choose this point, if the system is more complex?

Question 2
    if F is a conservative force field, then the energy is conserved. is the converse, the energy is conserved, therefore we have a conservative force field also true?

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,274
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To be more precise: the sun and the planet each orbit their common center of mass.
    But it is still conserved.
    You mean you want to find a reference frame in which a particular bodies angular momentum is a constant?

Is it not always the center of mass for gravitating systems?

Kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision: is the collision an example of a conservative force field?

4. Thank you for your answer, but is this a question or an answer?

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,274
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's up to you :) Both - I hope.

It can be hard to tell if a statement followed by a question mark is an actual question or a rhetorical question.
    All the questions in post #2 can be safely treated as actual questions. I am posing them as a way to help you clarify your thinking and so find the answers you seek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted