Questions on keeping a house cool

In summary, the group discussed strategies for cooling a house during a heatwave. Opening more windows can increase air flow, but it is important to consider the direction of drafts and wind. Using a fan to force circulation can also help. Some members also mentioned the importance of insulation for keeping a house cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Cats869
Hi guys,

I have a question on cooling the house. So at night, I usually open windows to let all of the cold air come in and open the 2nd floor windows to let the hot air out. The 2nd floor is a large open area and has windows in the front and windows in the back.

Now, I normally open all the windows on the first floor but am wondering if it necessary to open more than 1 window on the 2nd floor. The reason why I am wondering is because my goal is to have the first floor cool as I do not care too much about the temperature of the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor is also a big open area so air can freely flow around without much obstruction. I just need to know if opening 1 window will let all the heat out for the night and is adequate enough to cool down the 1st floor or will opening a few more windows on the 2nd floor will greatly benefit the first floor temperature?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Open more windows. Depending on the direction of drafts and wind, having more windows open can increase air flow.

Dr. Courtney said:
Open more windows. Depending on the direction of drafts and wind, having more windows open can increase air flow.

Right, and will that mean more hot air will be sucked out from the first floor and travel into the 2nd floor since more windows are open?

Cats869 said:
Right, and will that mean more hot air will be sucked out from the first floor and travel into the 2nd floor since more windows are open?

On average, yes.

Ok, thanks a lot! :) I had a feeling that would happen but just wanted to make sure with others.

I agree with what other have said but..

Wind can over power convection..so depending on the layout of your house some combinations of open and shut windows might be better or worse than others. A reasonably statergy might be to open "up wind windows" on the 1st floor and "down wind windows" on the 2nd floor as that should reinforce convection.

Likes billy_joule, Dr. Courtney and russ_watters
CWatters said:
I agree with what other have said but..

Wind can over power convection..so depending on the layout of your house some combinations of open and shut windows might be better or worse than others. A reasonably statergy might be to open "up wind windows" on the 1st floor and "down wind windows" on the 2nd floor as that should reinforce convection.
My AC was out at the beginning of the cooling season and this is exactly what I was doing. I opened the lower floor windows on the windward side and the upper windows on the leeward side. I also mounted a fan in the upper floor to help force the circulation. It wasn't as good as having AC but it did the job.

Borg said:
My AC was out at the beginning of the cooling season and this is exactly what I was doing. I opened the lower floor windows on the windward side and the upper windows on the leeward side. I also mounted a fan in the upper floor to help force the circulation. It wasn't as good as having AC but it did the job.
Saved a bit if money, too, I expect. AC is one of those things that we can start to regard as a necessity and it is very easy to have it on more than necessary and also set to a lower temperature than appropriate. A bit of a dilemma, actually, because it can be very pleasant.

Borg said:

Sounds similar to my situation. My AC unit went out on the 2nd weekend of July.
I have two squirrel cage fans running right now, pulling the heat out of my house as fast as possible.
One was semi-permanently mounted about 20 years ago, as it seemed preposterous to buy an AC unit, when it only got über-hot for 1 week out of the year.
This past June, we set 6 new heat and rainfall records...
Still waiting for the results for July.
One of my cats melted last Friday.

pf.2015.07.31.melted.kitty.jpg

:oldfrown:

sophiecentaur said:
Saved a bit if money, too, I expect. AC is one of those things that we can start to regard as a necessity and it is very easy to have it on more than necessary and also set to a lower temperature than appropriate. A bit of a dilemma, actually, because it can be very pleasant.
The control room operators on the site that I work at typically complain that twenty degrees is too hot in summer and twenty three degrees too cold in winter.

Thanks for your advice guys. Finding it really helpful to keep the house cool during the heatwave this week :).
Also closing window blinds/plys in rooms that I'm not in often which helps a bit during the sunny days.

I try not to use the AC until after pretty much close to 80F or if it's really really humid in the house.

Living in the UK, I seldom find that the house is too hot. But I do know that insulation is great value when trying to keep it warm in winter. It is possible to reduce the rate that the inside of your house gets hot by using insulation and reflective surfaces. It may look radical (silver backing on closed curtains or blinds, for instance) but it would be good value.

Likes OmCheeto
sophiecentaur said:
Living in the UK, I seldom find that the house is too hot. But I do know that insulation is great value when trying to keep it warm in winter. It is possible to reduce the rate that the inside of your house gets hot by using insulation and reflective surfaces. It may look radical (silver backing on closed curtains or blinds, for instance) but it would be good value.

Like tinfoil hats!

Only thing is, it works, in this case. :approve:

1. How can I keep my house cool without using air conditioning?

There are several ways to keep your house cool without using air conditioning. One option is to open windows and use fans to circulate air. Another option is to use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture in the air, making it feel cooler. Additionally, using light-colored curtains or blinds can help reflect sunlight and keep your house cooler.

2. What is the ideal temperature to keep my house cool?

The ideal temperature for keeping your house cool is between 75-78 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is comfortable for most people and also helps save energy compared to setting the thermostat lower.

3. How can I make my house cooler during the summer months?

To make your house cooler during the summer, you can try closing curtains or blinds during the day to block out sunlight. You can also use ceiling fans or portable fans to circulate air and create a cooling breeze. Additionally, planting shade trees or using awnings can help keep your house cooler.

4. Is it better to keep windows open or closed during the summer?

This depends on the outside temperature and humidity. If the outside temperature is cooler than inside, it is beneficial to open windows and let in fresh air. However, if it is hot and humid outside, it is best to keep windows closed and use fans or air conditioning to keep your house cool.

5. How can I reduce my energy bill while keeping my house cool?

To reduce your energy bill while keeping your house cool, you can try using a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature when you are not at home. Additionally, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs can help save energy. Closing curtains or blinds during the day and using fans instead of air conditioning can also help reduce your energy usage.