Questions on Loudspeaker Diaphragm Movement

• Thread starter rockerboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, a speaker's diaphragm movement will vary based on type or brand, and can be measured with a laser pointer.
rockerboi
Good day to all!

I just want to ask if someone here knows some data or measurement of speaker diaphragm movement(distance moved by the diaphragm relative to its resting position) of any speaker(any type or brand) when a certain frequency and volume is applied to it. I just badly need the information.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount of diaphragm movement will vary based on type or brand as different speakers have different efficiencies.

This is a problem whether by volume you mean power applied to the speaker or sound pressure level (SPL).
Edit: If you measure SPL in the near field you can make an approximation.

Even having a speaker mounted in an enclosure or sitting on the floor will make significant changes.

If you need to know then you will need to measure the movement.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply.

I don't have the instruments to measure the speaker's movement that is why I am looking for a data regarding that. Perhaps a loudspeaker manufacturing company can provide me one. Do you know a company that may give me such data that i need? thanks

It's pretty easy to measure. Put in earplugs, then shine a laser pointer at the speaker cone, near the middle and at an angle of 45 degrees. Then turn up the volume, and measure the left-to-right size of the spreading of the red dot (hold your ruler just in front of the moving cone, without touching it). Then use a little trig to figure out what the front-to-back displacement is.

Typical displacement is on the order of 1cm for medium volume 12" speakers, IIRC.

Thanks berkeman.

But if a speaker vibrates and moves very fast, how would I be able to measure the displacement of the cone with regards to a specific frequency and volume?

Do you know where I can find a data of speaker movement for any speaker? Thanks Ü

1) Berkeman's idea will work for any frequency and volume.

Quiz question. How could you use just a ruler and your ears to measure speaker cone displacement.

2) You already have the answer to this.

ok. But what I mean is what is the cone's movement,example, per 1 millisecond. Such that per millisecond there is a varying frequency and loudness. What I am looking for is a some kind of graph or line graph showing the cone's movement with varying frequency and loudness for certain time duration. Sorry if my question is a little vague

rockerboi said:
ok. But what I mean is what is the cone's movement,example, per 1 millisecond. Such that per millisecond there is a varying frequency and loudness. What I am looking for is a some kind of graph or line graph showing the cone's movement with varying frequency and loudness for certain time duration. Sorry if my question is a little vague

If you put in a sine wave for the voltage drive to the speaker, the displacement of the speaker will also be sinusoidal with respect to time. So if the input is a 1kHz sine wave, and the peak-to-peak displacement front-to-back for the speaker is 1cm, then the displacement can be described by the following equation:

d(t) = 1cm sin(2*Pi*1000Hz*t)

NoTime said:
1) Berkeman's idea will work for any frequency and volume.

Quiz question. How could you use just a ruler and your ears to measure speaker cone displacement.

Hmmm. That's a hard quiz question. Is it still a non-contact technique?

berkeman said:
Hmmm. That's a hard quiz question. Is it still a non-contact technique?
No :smile:

NoTime said:
No :smile:

Interesting. Okay, that narrows it down some. I'd assume that the non-no-contact contact needs to be light enough not to distort the measurement (or hurt the speaker cone), so that narrows it more. I have one picture in my mind, but there's a resonance in the non-no-contact thing that will give me the wrong total deflection. Gotta think about other possibilities...

berkeman said:
If you put in a sine wave for the voltage drive to the speaker, the displacement of the speaker will also be sinusoidal with respect to time. So if the input is a 1kHz sine wave, and the peak-to-peak displacement front-to-back for the speaker is 1cm, then the displacement can be described by the following equation:

d(t) = 1cm sin(2*Pi*1000Hz*t)

Thanks berkeman..now i understand.

Is an audio signal always sinusoidal or there are flat turns or edges? If it is not sinusoidal, how can I predict its displacement for a particular time?

There are many possible wave shapes.
Each with a coresponding equation.

Music or voice will not be sinusoidal.
In these cases you could digitize the source to a graph.

Hello people. What you want is, for example, "Eminence Designer", which let you know what is the cone displacement of any speaker (introducing the TS parameters previously) in any box.

Greetings from Spain!

1. What is the purpose of a loudspeaker diaphragm?

The loudspeaker diaphragm is a crucial component of a speaker that is responsible for converting electrical signals into sound waves. It is designed to vibrate and produce sound waves that can be heard by humans.

2. How does the loudspeaker diaphragm move to produce sound?

The loudspeaker diaphragm moves in response to the electrical signals it receives from the amplifier. As the electrical current flows through the voice coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet attached to the diaphragm. This interaction causes the diaphragm to vibrate and produce sound waves.

3. What factors affect the movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm?

The movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the electrical signal, the size and weight of the diaphragm, and the design of the speaker's enclosure. The shape and materials of the diaphragm can also impact its movement and the resulting sound quality.

4. Can the movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm be controlled?

Yes, the movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the input signal, changing the design of the diaphragm, or using a crossover network to split the signal into different frequency ranges. Additionally, the placement and orientation of the speaker can also affect the movement of the diaphragm.

5. What are some common issues that can arise with the movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm?

Some common issues with the movement of a loudspeaker diaphragm include distortion, which can occur when the diaphragm is unable to accurately reproduce the input signal, and cone breakup, which happens when the diaphragm becomes too stiff and starts to vibrate in an uncontrolled manner. These issues can affect the sound quality and overall performance of the speaker.