Questions on material engineering

In summary, Material engineering has a future. People who study Material Engineering will have to study many other areas, hence there are some sort of like jack of all tread master of none.
khorpeggy
i am really wondering does Material engineering has a future. I am wondering this as my friends made a few comments on this subject and i am currently very confuse

1. People who study Material Engineering will most likely very difficult to get a job or the job will be related to radioactive material.

2. People who study Material Engineering will have to study many other areas, hence there are some sort of like jack of all tread master of none.

Can somebody please please help me to verify whether these comments are true or not? I really need help for clarification.

Engineering news on Phys.org
khorpeggy said:
1. People who study Material Engineering will most likely very difficult to get a job or the job will be related to radioactive material.

2. People who study Material Engineering will have to study many other areas, hence there are some sort of like jack of all tread master of none.
Nonsense. The challenge these days is to understand the nuances of alloy/ceramic/intermetallic behavior under challenging environments.

Take a look at ASM International (www.asminternational.org[/url]) and TMS ([url]www.tms.org[/URL]) websites to see what is going on in materials science and technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Astronuc. We're in a golden age of materials science and engineering. I switched fields from mechanical engineering to materials science (and went back to grad school) because (1) the materials scientists I met seemed to be familiar with nearly every type of material, making them invaluable in research and prototyping positions in industry; (2) I wanted to learn how material properties arise, instead of just looking up values in tables; and (3) I was convinced that the opportunities for materials scientists and engineers are immense and larger than ever. Consider that in the area of metals, we're learning how to make single crystals (for creep resistance) or amorphous alloys (for strength), depending on an application's requirements. In IC fab, materials replacement has taken over size reduction as the mechanism to extend Moore's Law. And the biomaterials field is smoking hot with applications involving drug delivery, cancer treatment, and implantable devices. Go materials science!

But if you really want to work with radioactive materials, I'm sure that's possible too. :smile:

Other societies involved in materials, although primarily metals:

AISI - American Iron and Steel Institute
www.steel.org

AIST - Association for Iron and Steel Technology
www.aistech.org

ASME - American Society of Mechanical Engineers
www.asme.org

ASTM - American Society for Testing and Materials
www.astm.org

AWPA - American Wire Producers Association
http://www.awpa.org/

AWS - American Welding Society, Inc.
www.aws.org

ISSF - International Stainless Steel Forum
www.worldstainless.org/

ITA - International Titanium Association
www.titanium.org

ITSC - International Thermal Spray Association
www.thermalspray.org

MPIF - Metal Powder Industries Federation
www.mpif.org

NACE - National Association of Corrosion Engineers
www.nace.org

NiDI - Nickel Development Institute
www.nidi.org

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
www.sae.org

SPI - Society of the Plastics Industry
www.plasticindustry.org

SSINA - Specialty Steel Industry of North America
www.ssina.com

For ceramics, one can see

ACerS - American Ceramic Society
ceramics.org

Materials Science/Engineering go way beyond just composition and phase diagrams. There is a lot to know about the processing of the material in conjunction with the composition, and how that combination affects the microstructure and how ultimately a material performs/behaves in its intended environment. We may know a lot, but there's an awful lot more that we could know and need to know.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Before this, I have totally no idea abt what is material engineering, just only have the basic knowledge. I have an offer on material engineering from a university and I don know whether should I take up the course or not. So I feel like learning more about it.

1. What is material engineering?

Material engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the development, processing, and testing of materials used in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and healthcare. It involves studying the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level to design new and improved materials.

2. What are the different types of materials used in material engineering?

There are three main types of materials used in material engineering: metals, polymers, and ceramics. Metals are strong and durable, polymers are lightweight and flexible, and ceramics are hard and resistant to high temperatures. Each type has its own unique properties and can be further categorized into subtypes.

3. What is the process of material selection in material engineering?

The process of material selection involves considering various factors such as the intended use, properties required, cost, and environmental impact to choose the most suitable material for a specific application. This involves researching and testing different materials to determine their properties and how they will perform under different conditions.

4. How does material engineering contribute to sustainability?

Material engineering plays a crucial role in promoting sustainability by developing and using materials that are more environmentally friendly and have a longer lifespan. This includes using recycled materials, reducing waste in production processes, and creating materials that are biodegradable or can be easily reused or recycled.

5. What are some common applications of material engineering?

Material engineering has a wide range of applications, including the development of new and improved materials for construction, transportation, medical devices, electronics, and more. It also plays a vital role in improving the performance and durability of existing materials, such as making cars more fuel-efficient or developing stronger and lighter aircraft components.