Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What materials bounce cowhide or vulcanized rubber most?

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    I am trying to find out what material that cowhide or vulcanized rubber will bounce off the most? (High school student working on a patent, so really not too experienced with materials engineering.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The subject is too broad ... you just have to test the materials you are interested in.
    For what purpose is a high school student working on a patent?

As a general rule, the less a material deforms when struck the more energy is available for the bounce ... so soft cowhide does not bounce well, and it bounces badly off another soft cowhide, or a very flexible sheet of rubber. But construction is important too - i.e. a trampoline deforms a lot but you bounce higher off that than from the ground because you are actually bouncing off the steel springs ... even so, rubber balls perform poorly off a trampoline mat compared with a concrete floor.
    A cowhide ball will bounce better from any surface than a flat sheet and you can make springs out of hide, and/or treat it to be stiff. See what I mean?

The engineering term you will be looking for is "coefficient of restitution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook