Questions Regarding the Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the photoelectric effect is the ability of photons to cause electrons to escape an electron gun. If an electron must use an energy equal to the work function of the phototube cathode, in order to escape the cathode's surface, it has a considerable amount of kinetic energy once it escapes. The energy required for an electron of charge -e to travel across a potential difference of -V is given by E=V/d. If there are two frequencies of light with v_1> v_2>0, in a light beam shining on a phototube whose work function is x_0 at what level of applied voltage across the phototube will all the electrons which received a photon of frequency v
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We are performing a lab on the photoelectric effect tomorrow and have some pre-lab questions.

1: If an electron must use an energy equal to the work function of the phototube cathode, in order to escape the cathode's surface, how much kinetic energy does it have once it escapes?
2: What is the energy required for an electron of charge -e to travel across a potential difference of -V?
3: IF there are two frequencies of light with v_1> v_2>0, in a light beam shining on a phototube whose work function is x_0 at what level of applied voltage across the phototube will all the electrons which received a photon of frequency v_2 and v_1 be stopped? Which of these voltages are greater?

Homework Equations

c = wavelength * frequency
E=hv, h=plancks constant

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers/guesses:

1:
Energy = hv-work function where v is the frequency. This seems simple enough to me, but I have not studied this in quite some time, so I was looking for confirmation here.
2: E=V/d where d is the seperation. So this would mean V=E*d and since #1, we see V=(hv-workfunction)*d.
3: Since equation in answer 2 shows us that the higher the frequency the higher the voltage, we conclude that the voltage for v_1 is greater. Not sure how to answer the part on applied voltage...

Physics news on Phys.org
OK for part 1. In part 2, the symbol "E" in the equation E = V/d does not stand for energy. You'll need to recall the correct relationship between potential difference and electric potential energy.

Likes RJLiberator
I see, I see. That is a good catch on your part.

Let's try this from scratch.

Potential Difference = W/Q where W = work done Q = per unit charge.

We say potentital difference = -V=W/(-e)
So we can say the answer to 2 is V=W/e

Would you agree? Is it that simple?

Question 2 asks for the energy required. Did you write an expression for the energy required?

Likes RJLiberator
Oi, this is not good! You are absolutely correct.

But it shouldn't be too hard from my answer.

eV=W
Work is made up of the kinetic energy, so we could use the answer in problem one to assist us here.
eV = (hv-workfunction)
Or just eV = E

Right. The energy needed is (-e)(-V) = eV.

Likes RJLiberator
That makes sense. Any words of advice on this: "at what level of applied voltage across the phototube will all the electrons which received a photon of frequency v_2 and v_1 be stopped? "

Which will have more kinetic energy: electrons kicked out by photons of frequency ν1 or electrons kicked out by photons of frequency ν2? You will need a voltage that can stop the most energetic electrons.

Likes RJLiberator
The higher the frequency, the more energy is needed!
So v_1>v_2, thus v_1 will require greater energy.

OK. The wording of question 3 is a little confusing to me. I would work out the voltage V1 required to stop electrons that are kicked out by photons of frequency ν1 and also work out the voltage V2 required to stop electrons that are kicked out by photons of frequency ν2.

It seems that the first question in part 3 is asking for a single voltage that will stop all of the electrons ejected by either frequency. The second question in part 3 seems to be asking for the two individual voltages.

Likes RJLiberator
I agree with your assessment.
We just had the lab, it was successful. Your help had solidified my understanding of the (simple) mathematical operations involved here.

Great! Hope you enjoyed the lab.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where light (or other electromagnetic radiation) causes the emission of electrons from a material. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was further studied by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon (particle of light) strikes a material and transfers its energy to an electron, causing it to be emitted from the material. The energy of the photon must be greater than the material's work function (the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the material) for this to happen.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the behavior of light. It also led to the development of the concept of photons and the quantum theory of light.

4. How does the photoelectric effect relate to the modern understanding of electricity?

The photoelectric effect is one of the fundamental processes that underlies the production of electricity in solar cells. It is also used in photocells, which convert light energy into electrical energy, and in photoemission microscopy, a technique used to study the electronic properties of materials.

5. What are some real-world applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, including photovoltaic cells (solar panels), night vision devices, and light sensors in cameras and other electronic devices. It is also used in photocatalysis, a process where light energy is used to drive chemical reactions, and in photoemission spectroscopy, a technique used to study the electronic structure of materials.