Questions regarding to UoT's Engsci program

• Thread starter Edwardbi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the speaker is a new student in grade 12 IB at a school in Vancouver. They received high marks in math, chemistry, and physics, but struggled in English due to being a non-native speaker. They are wondering about their chances of being accepted into the University of Toronto's Engineering science program and if they will be required to take the TOEFL exam. The speaker also mentions their other grades and courses, including math HL, mandarin, history, and Theory of Knowledge. They are unsure if these will affect their admission.
Edwardbi
Hello guys, i am new here. Currantly, i am in grade 12 IB in vancouver. And after first term, i got 99 in math, 100 in chem, 97 in physics and 66 in english. However, since i have been in Canada for only 3 years up to now and my first language is not english, what's my chance to get into U of T's Engsci? And will the admission office ask me to write the TOEFL exam?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
U of T? Toronto? Tennessee? Timbuktu? Tau Ceti?

University of Toronto's Engineering science program

Your marks are good other than English. If you required to take TOEFL then I guess they will look at it. Though english is not the most determining factor, but you still should get it higher.(Hopefully 75)

Did you take cal and functions for math? And there's one more course I think. (they look at 6)

Actually, I am in math HL, which includes calculus and other stuff. Also, I got 95 on mandarin, 72 for history and 72 for Theory of Knowledge for term 1 in grade 12.

1. What is the difference between UoT's Engsci program and a traditional engineering program?

The Engsci program at UoT is a unique program that combines the fundamentals of engineering with additional coursework in science, humanities, and social sciences. This interdisciplinary approach allows students to develop a broad range of skills and knowledge, making them well-rounded engineers.

2. How competitive is the admission process for UoT's Engsci program?

The Engsci program at UoT is highly competitive, with a limited number of spots available. Each year, thousands of students apply for the program, and only a small percentage are accepted. It is important for applicants to have a strong academic background, extracurricular involvement, and a passion for engineering.

3. Can students specialize in a specific area of engineering within the Engsci program?

Yes, students in the Engsci program can choose to specialize in a specific area of engineering, such as electrical, mechanical, or chemical engineering. The program offers a variety of technical electives that allow students to tailor their education to their interests and career goals.

4. Are there opportunities for hands-on learning and practical experience in the Engsci program?

Yes, the Engsci program at UoT offers numerous opportunities for hands-on learning and practical experience. Students have access to state-of-the-art labs and facilities, and many courses include project-based assignments. Additionally, there are co-op and internship options available for students to gain real-world experience.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of UoT's Engsci program?

Graduates of the Engsci program at UoT are highly sought after by employers in a wide range of industries. They have the skills and knowledge to excel in various roles, such as research and development, project management, and consulting. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in engineering or other fields.