Quick Equations of Motion questions (2). Rxn time; deceleration

In summary, if the meteorite strikes a car with a speed of 130 m/s, its deceleration will be around 44 m/s^2.
SteveThePharmer
Quick "Equations of Motion" questions (2). Rxn time; deceleration

1. A meteorite strikes on October 9, 1992, a 27-pound meteorite struck a car in Peekskill, NY, leaving a dent 22 cm deep in the trunk. If the meteorite struck the car with a speed of 130 m/s, what was the magnitude of its deceleration, assuming it to be constant?

27# meteorite
22cm dent in trucnk
130 m/s

Homework Equations

v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)=v0^2+2a(change in)x

v=-22
v0=130m/s
a=? (to be solved for)
x=?
x0=?

I'm pretty sure this is not the equation since distance is not given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost without the correct equation... :(

1. You are driving through town at 16 m/s when suddenly a car backs out of a driveway in front of you. you apply brakes and begin decelerating at 3.2 m/s^2.
c. If the car backing out was initially 55 m in front of you, what is the maximum reaction time you can have before hitting the brakes and still avoid hitting the car?

v0=16m/s
a=-3.2 m/s^2
(change in)x=55 m
v=0

Homework Equations

[(change in)x=v^2-v0^2]/[2a]

v=v0+at=0

0=16m/s+(-3.2m/s^2)t

t=5s?

answer given is 0.945s, but i want to learn how to get there.

Thanks for looking!
Steve

If I could just get an equation, that would help greatly!

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveThePharmer said:
1. A meteorite strikes on October 9, 1992, a 27-pound meteorite struck a car in Peekskill, NY, leaving a dent 22 cm deep in the trunk. If the meteorite struck the car with a speed of 130 m/s, what was the magnitude of its deceleration, assuming it to be constant?

27# meteorite
22cm dent in trucnk
130 m/s

Homework Equations

v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0)=v0^2+2a(change in)x

v=-22
v0=130m/s
a=? (to be solved for)
x=?
x0=?

I'm pretty sure this is not the equation since distance is not given.

There is no v = -22. :confused: The 22 cm refers to the depth of the dent (i.e. the distance the meteorite travels), so you know the change in x. You also know what the final velocity is. The equation you have will work fine.

SteveThePharmer said:
1. You are driving through town at 16 m/s when suddenly a car backs out of a driveway in front of you. you apply brakes and begin decelerating at 3.2 m/s^2.
c. If the car backing out was initially 55 m in front of you, what is the maximum reaction time you can have before hitting the brakes and still avoid hitting the car?

v0=16m/s
a=-3.2 m/s^2
(change in)x=55 m
v=0

Homework Equations

[(change in)x=v^2-v0^2]/[2a]

v=v0+at=0

0=16m/s+(-3.2m/s^2)t

t=5s?

answer given is 0.945s, but i want to learn how to get there.

Thanks for looking!
Steve

If I could just get an equation, that would help greatly!
The time you have calculated is the time it takes your car to stop, once you apply the brakes. The problem asks for your max reaction time before you apply the brakes, to avoid collision. You are assumed moving at constant speed during that reaction period. The distance you travel during the reaction period, plus the distance you travel during the braking period, must add to 55m. (I got t = .938s).

okay, for question 1:

0^2=(130m/s)^2+2a(0-22)
-16900=-44a
a=384.90m/s^2

and for question 2:
(change in)x=[0^2-(16m/s)^2]/[2(-3.2)m/s^2]=40m

55m-40m=15m

[15m]/[16m/s]=0.9375s=~0.94s

thanks for the kick in the right direction guys! great website!

SteveThePharmer said:
okay, for question 1:

0^2=(130m/s)^2+2a(0-22)
-16900=-44a
a=384.90m/s^2

Be careful of your units. The distance is given 22 cm but your velocity is in m/s. You must be consistent. Also, it's x-x0. Your acceleration should come out negative since the meteorite comes to a stop.

1. What is the formula for calculating reaction time?

The formula for calculating reaction time is t = d/v, where t is the reaction time in seconds, d is the distance traveled in meters, and v is the velocity in meters per second.

2. How do you calculate deceleration?

To calculate deceleration, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the deceleration in meters per second squared, vf is the final velocity in meters per second, vi is the initial velocity in meters per second, and t is the time in seconds.

3. Can reaction time and deceleration be calculated simultaneously?

Yes, reaction time and deceleration can be calculated simultaneously if you have the necessary information, such as distance, velocity, and time.

4. What units are used to measure reaction time?

Reaction time is typically measured in seconds (s).

5. How do changes in velocity affect deceleration?

As velocity increases, deceleration also increases, and vice versa. This is because the higher the velocity, the more force is needed to slow down or stop an object, resulting in a higher deceleration value.