What is the optimal ticket price for a movie theater to maximize revenue?

• Thread starter physicsgal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary: The answer is yes - the theatre should charge $1.05 according to the revenue function. Thanks for your help!
physicsgal
1) "find the vertex algebraically"

y= -x^2 - 3
y = (x - 3)(x+1)??
(the -x is throwing me off)

2) a movie theatre sells tickets for $8.5 each. they are considering raising the prices but know that for every 50 cents the price is raised, 20 fewer people go to the movies. R = -40c^2 + 84c
c = ticket cost
R = revenue

what should the theatre charge to maximize revenue?

for this one i can probably just use my graphing calculator to find the roots?. but what values should i put in the window? (new to using graphing calculator)

~Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The vertex is [tex] (-\frac{b}{2a}, f(-\frac{b}{2a})) [/tex]. So [tex] y = -x^{2} - 3[/tex], [tex] b = 0 [/tex]. Therefore, the vertex is [tex] (0, f(0)) [/tex] or [tex] (0,-3) [/tex].2. Find the vertex of [tex] R(c). [/tex] [tex] b = 84, a = -40 [/tex].

Last edited:
thanks!

for 2) if i do the quadratic formula i end up with -85, and -82.95.. does this mean anything?

~Amy

Since [tex] R(c) [/tex] is quadratic, then the maximum revenue would occur at the vertex, not at the roots. So it would be [tex] (\frac{-84}{-80}, 44.1) [/tex] or [tex] (1.05, 44.1) [/tex].

Last edited:
thanks! where did the 46.2 come from?

~Amy

[tex] R(1.05) = -40(1.05)^{2} + 84(1.05) = 44.1 [/tex]. Should not be 46.2. My bad.

actually does that answer the question about whether or not they should raise the ticket price or not? I am missing more pieces of this puzzle.

they should increase the price to $44?

~Amy

they should charge $1.05 according to the revenue function. Is there more information to this question?

that's all the info to the question. but the answer sounds a bit iffy. thanks, but i dunno. if you calculate $1.50 for c into the original formula:
R = -40c^2 + 84c
the revenue = 36

unless I am calculating that wrong

~Amy

Its $1.05 not $1.50.

k, with $1.05 i calculated the revenue to be $1852.2

with the original $8.5 i calculated it to be $116314

~Amy

Are you sure? In [tex] R(c) = -40c^2 + 84c [/tex], the -40 is outside of the squared expression. So you square c first, then multiply it by -40 and add it to 84c.

[tex] -40c^2 [/tex] does not equal [tex](-40c)^{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
k, sorry for the hassle, looks like you are right :blushing:

thanks again!

~Amy

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the second power, such as x^2. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the part of the quadratic formula inside the square root, b^2 - 4ac. It helps determine the nature of the solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are no real solutions.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have at most two solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, which means it can have a maximum of 2 solutions. However, some solutions may be repeated or complex numbers.

5. What are the applications of quadratic equations in real life?

Quadratic equations have many real-life applications, including calculating the trajectory of a thrown object, designing curved structures such as arches and bridges, and optimizing profit in business. They are also used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena.