1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about power factor angle

1. Jul 6, 2006 #1
    I just took an exam, and one of the questions had a load with a power factor that was leading. ALL of our examples have dealt with LAGGING power factors, so I was unsure about determining the angle.

So for example)
    Find the power factor angle of the following load (load 1):

[tex] pf_{load1}=0.9\,\,\,LEADING [/tex]

would the angle be negative? like...
    [tex] \theta_{z\,\,load1}=-\cos^{-1}(0.9) [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there,

The answer to your question is "yes". The power factor is defined as: [itex]pf=\cos(\theta_V-\theta_I)[/itex]. The terms "leading" and "lagging" pertain to the relationship that the current has with respect to the voltage.

So when you have [itex]\theta_V-\theta_I>0[/itex], the current lags the voltage and the power factor is said to be "lagging". When the current leads the voltage then we have [itex]\theta_I>\theta_V[/itex], which of course implies that the argument of the cosine function, [itex]\theta_V-\theta_I[/itex], is negative.
  4. Jul 14, 2006 #3
    Thank you for the thorough reply. I really didn't want to just memorize that I should toss a negative sign in there. Thanks for the background :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?