How Do You Determine Your Proficiency in a Subject Beyond Grades?

• Thread starter sr6622
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to gauge your proficiency in a course is by how well you can solve problems and how quickly you can understand the methods to get the answer. It is important to prioritize your love for the subject and ensure that your skills are not lacking. While grades may not be the sole indicator of proficiency, working hard and enjoying the subject can lead to success in the field. Ultimately, becoming a true expert in the subject and pursuing it with passion is more important than simply achieving high grades.
sr6622
This is just a general question. I'm currently a Physics major in my first year. I'm taking Medical Physics this semester and have done Physics I, II, III (Modern). Anyway, my question is really how do you know when you're actually good at a give subject or course? You can solve problems very easily? Because just getting A's, I believe, isn't worth all that much at my university (which is mediocre in math/physics). How do I gauge my proficiency in a course besides the use of grades?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
how well you can solve problems is probably the best way of telling, the otherway of telling is how quickly you "get" the answer, this is not necessarilly solving the answr, but just knowing how to get the answer. the methods and all. In the future you'll have courses where the problems can easily exceed over an hour, even when you know exactly what to do.

I don't think it matters. Here are my priorities in order:
1.Make sure you love it (if you don't, kick yourself in the butt, repeat as needed)
2.Make sure you don't suck (if you do, stop sucking)
3.Philosophise for hours at what it means to be good at something (if you do this long enough, you’ll realize that you suck so go back to step 2)

I suggest you work hard and love what you do. You'll know when you are good, but it won't matter.

If you love what you are doing, hopefully it will make you go the extra mile (the fact that you are here is a hint). You will become a physicist and not just someone who takes physics classes.

I did ridiculously high in both biology and English, but for my own special reasons, physics is for me. It makes me happy.

1. How do I know if my experiment is valid?

The validity of an experiment depends on several factors, such as the research question, the methodology used, and the data collected. To ensure validity, it is important to have a clear research question, use a reliable and appropriate methodology, and gather enough relevant data.

2. How do I know if my results are reliable?

Reliability refers to the consistency and reproducibility of results. To determine if your results are reliable, you can repeat the experiment multiple times and compare the results. Additionally, using standardized procedures and controlling for variables can also increase the reliability of your results.

3. How do I know if my sample size is sufficient?

The sample size needed for an experiment depends on the research question and the statistical analysis being used. Generally, a larger sample size is preferred as it can increase the power and accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully determine the appropriate sample size for your specific experiment.

4. How do I know if my data is significant?

Statistical significance is determined by comparing the observed data to the expected results under the null hypothesis. If the observed data is significantly different from the expected results, it is considered significant. This can be determined through various statistical tests such as t-tests or ANOVA.

5. How do I know if my conclusions are valid?

The validity of conclusions drawn from an experiment depends on the strength of the evidence and the soundness of the reasoning used. To ensure valid conclusions, it is important to carefully analyze the data, consider alternative explanations, and adequately support your claims with evidence.