Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick question I'm having trouble with (partial fraction integration)

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Ok, so why do some answers contain an A/something + (Bx + C)/something and others contain just an A/something + B/something.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I know what you're talking about. It depends whether the factors in the denominator are linear factors or irreducible quadratic factors.

For example, with 3/[(x - 1)(x2 + 1)], the x - 1 factor in the denominator is a linear factor (x is to power 1) and x2 + 1 is an irreducible quadratic. The decomposition would look like this:
    3/[(x - 1)(x2 + 1)] = A/(x - 1) + (Bx + C)/(x2 + 1)

To reduce 3/[(x - 1)(x - 2)], both factors in the denominator are linear factors, so the decomposition would look like this:
    3/[(x - 1)(x - 2)] = A/(x - 1) + B/(x - 2)

If you have repeated linear factors, such as 5/[(x - 1)2, things are a little different and the decomposition would be this:
    5/[(x - 1)2 = A/(x - 1) + B/(x - 1)2

Hope that helps.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    Thank's Mark, that makes complete sense. I was confused when the seemingly random x would tag onto an A or B term and i had no idea why. Thanks again for clarifying.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook