Quick question on integration by parts

In summary, the homework statement states that when you perform the integration by parts you get the original integral on both sides of the equation, which leads to the cancelling of the factor of 2 on the right hand side. However, the integral on the RHS is not the original integral on the LHS.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

I'm following an example in the textbook that states:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1672/33686252.jpg

I was just wondering what happened to the 2 out the front, I would have been more inclined to think this would be the next step:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4854/a1aa.jpg

Any explanations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
when you perform the integration by parts you get the original integral on both sides of the equation, which leads to the cancelling of the factor of 2 on the right hand side

I'm not following 100%.
The integral on the RHS is not the original integral on the LHS?

This it the formula I used (and I am familar with):
05fdc1c25e10bae02245a3334d109965.png

(of course with respect to t here not x)

fyi: I let f = Gsintcost and g' = Gdot

everything works out fine, its just the 2 that has me puzzled

ok so in some bastardised short hand

du = G'
u = G
v = Gsc
dv = G'sc + G(c2 - s2)

[tex] \int du.v = uv| - \int u.dv [/tex]

[tex] \int G'.Gsc = G.Gsc| - \int G.(G'sc + G(c^2-s^2)) [/tex]

[tex] \int G'.Gsc = G^2 sc| - \int G.G'sc -\int G^2(c^2-s^2) [/tex]

[tex] 2 \int G'.Gsc = G^2 sc| - \int G^2(c^2-s^2) [/tex]

[tex] 2 \int G'.Gsc = G^2 sc| + \int G^2(s^2-c^2) [/tex]

Last edited:
I think dv should be dv = G'sc + G(c^2 - s^2)

Last edited:
yeah i think you're right, but hopefully the bit about the orginal intergal aappearing on the RHS is celar

lanedance said:
yeah i think you're right, but hopefully the bit about the orginal intergal aappearing on the RHS is celar

bugger, I think dv = G'sc + G(c^2 - s^2), but then if I change that, then I don't get the correct answer!

I understand what you mean by the original integral showing up on the RHS (cos now I can take it over to the lhs and get 2* original integral).

edit: found the mistake. When I broke up the integral I forgot to take the minus inside both.

got it all sorted now.

Cheers!

no worries - i updated the working above as well

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is an integral calculus technique used to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and allows for the integration of more complicated functions.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is often used when trying to integrate a product of two functions where one function is easy to differentiate but difficult to integrate, and the other function is easy to integrate but difficult to differentiate.

3. How do I use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first choose two functions to split the integral into, one to differentiate and one to integrate. Then, you must apply the integration by parts formula: ∫uv' dx = uv - ∫u'v dx, where u is the function you chose to differentiate and v' is the derivative of the function you chose to integrate.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is: ∫uv' dx = uv - ∫u'v dx. This formula is derived from the product rule for differentiation.

5. Are there any tricks to make integration by parts easier?

One trick to make integration by parts easier is to choose u and v' in a way that simplifies the integral. For example, if v' is a constant or a simple function, the integral will be easier to evaluate. Additionally, choosing u and v' so that the integral decreases in complexity with each iteration can make the process easier.