1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gaussian integral using integration by parts

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show in detail that:
    [tex]
    \sigma_{x}^{2} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x -\bar{x})^{2} \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-X)^{2}}{2\sigma^{2}}} = \sigma^{2}
    [/tex]
    where,
    [tex]
    G_{X,\sigma}(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-X)^{2}}{2\sigma^{2}}}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \int u dv = uv -\int v du
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are some hints that are given. Replace [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] with [itex]X[/itex] (according to the text, this is because they are equal after many trials). make the substitutions [itex]x-X=y[/itex] and [itex] y/\sigma=z[/itex]. Integrate by parts to obtain the result.

After following the hints I get the following integral:
    [tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz
    [/tex]
    How would one go about using integration by parts for this integral?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What have you tried?

BTW, your problem statement doesn't look right. That ##(x-\bar x)## should be ##(x-\bar x)^2##. You also have a problem in your final integral.

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    If the problem is what you asked, you want to integrate by parts twice, taking down the ##x^2## one degree at each step.

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You only need to integrate by parts once if you know the value of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2) \, dx## (or of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2/2) \, dx\,\,##).

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5
    as it happens I don't know, altho I think I have done them over and over -- you'd think I would learn.

7. Oct 26, 2013 #6
    Working with integration by parts I've tried some different combinations of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]:

[tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
    u=z^{2}\\
    du = 2 z dz\\
    dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz\\
    v = 2.5\\
    2.5 z^{2} |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int 2.5 *2z dz\\
    =0
    [/tex]

Trying to recognize some symetry:
    [tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
    \frac{2\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
    u = z^{2}\\
    dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz
    [/tex]
    seems to blow up to infinity as does setting [itex]u=z[/itex] and [itex]dv = ze^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz[/itex]

What I would like is a hint about choosing my [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]. Or it seems like there's something I'm missing here.

8. Oct 26, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Don't use limits when integrating dv. The latter choice of u=z and ##dv=ze^{-z^2/2}\,dz## is the way to go.

9. Oct 26, 2013 #8
    [tex]
    \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz\\
    u = z\\
    du = dz\\
    \\
    dv = z e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz\\
    v = ?\\
    \\
    [/tex]
    working to find v and using a strange result that I found on the boards mentioned by nicksauce near the middle of the page link
    [tex]
    \int z e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz\\
    u = z\\
    du = dz\\
    \\
    dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz \\
    v = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}}\\
    \\
    z\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}} - \int \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}} dz = 0\\
    [/tex]
    plugging back into above
    [tex]
    u = z\\
    du = dz\\
    v = 0\\
    \\
    [/tex]
    It seems like everything just keeps going to 0 or infinity.

10. Oct 26, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Don't use limits when integrating dv. Calculate the indefinite integral.

11. Oct 26, 2013 #10
    How would I handle [itex] \int e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz[/itex] if its an indefinite integral?

12. Oct 26, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You don't.

13. Oct 27, 2013 #12
    [tex]
    \sigma_{x}^{2} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x-X)^2 \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-(x-X)^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} y^2 \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-y^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{y^2}{\sigma^{2}}e^{-y^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-z^{2}/2} \\
    [/tex]

then IBP and a u-sub to find [itex]v[/itex] by evaluating [itex]dv[/itex] as an indefinite integral.
    [tex]
    u = z\\
    du = dz\\
    \\
    v = -e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}\\
    \\
    \\
    -ze^{-z^2/2} |_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz\\
    = \sqrt{2\pi}
    [/tex]
    going back up to the top
    [tex]
    \sigma_{x}^{2} = \sigma
    [/tex]

Can you see where I'm missing the extra [itex]\sigma[/itex]? Also, what is the point of doing integration by parts if I just end up with the integral [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz=\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex], but I had to use wolfram to evaluate it, when at the very beginning I could have used wolfram to get [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-z^{2}/2}=\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex].

Is there a trick to evaluating [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz[/itex] by hand?

14. Oct 27, 2013 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You left out the dx, dy, and dz in your integrals. Don't do that.

15. Oct 27, 2013 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using ##u = z## and ##dv = z\: \exp(-z^2/2) \, dz## is exactly the way to go. I cannot get it to "blow up" as you claim.

16. Oct 27, 2013 #15
    And there is my missing sigma! Thank you DH.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted