Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question regarding tangential acceleration

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    What is the force that is responsible for the tangential acceleration? And how does this acceeleration work. I mean this must increase the object's linear velocity right? Since it acts parallel to it. Can someone help clarify this for me.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you say is correct. However, the force could by anything that acts along the path of the object, such as a jet engine or the oars of a rowboat.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    I think torque is responsible for tangential acceleration. Increased torque will increase tangential acceleration.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4
    So would any object that is rotating experience a tangential acceleration? Or does it need a force to be applied like in an example of a bicycle wheel?

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    Torque is equal to the perpendicular force times the distance r from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. I believe you got tangential acceleration confused with angular acceleration.

Or maybe I'am wrong.:rofl:

Edit: Yes I'am wrong because I just read that tangential acceleration = r times angular acceleration.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?