Quick question-Representing a curve w/a DE

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the surface generated by revolving the curve C around the x-axis reflects all parallel light rays to a single point O at the origin. By using the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection, we can determine the shape of the curve C with the differential equation dy/dx = y / (sqrt(x^2+y^2)-x). However, using the identity tan (x/2) = +/- sqrt [(1-cosx)/(1+cosx)] can also help determine the shape of the curve.
bcjochim07
curve.jpg

Assume that when the plane curve C shown in the figure is revolved about the x axis, it generates a surface with the property that all light rays L parallel to the x-axis striking the surface at a point P(x,y) are reflected to a single point O (the origin). Use the fact that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection to determine a differential equation that describes the shape of the curve C.

My work:

The tangent of angle that the tangent line makes with the x-axis is the slope of that tangent line, dy/dx. Using some simple trig, I was able to determine that angle phi = 2theta, so its supplementary angle is 180-2theta. Therefore the angle that the tangent makes with the x-axis is theta. The distance between the origin is sqrt(x^2+y^2), and this is an isoceles triangle, so the distance between the origin and where the tangent line intersects the x-axis is also sqrt(x^2+y^2). Drawing a right triangle to find out what the tangent of theta is, I have a triangle with legs length sqrt(x^2+y^2)-x and y
So I came up with tan theta = dy/dx = y/(sqrt(x^2+y^2)-x). Why does my book say that the answer is (sqrt(x^2+y^2)-x)/y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Help would be appreciated. Thanks

You have chosen the second quadrant as your general point so it must be P(-x,y) not P(x,y) which should be located in the first quadrant.

But never mind, we just stick with what you already have. So changing all your x to -x, your right angled triangle should have the sides (x^2+y^2)+x and y.

[tex]tan\theta=\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+x} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-x}{y} [/tex]

Thanks.

There is another way to do this using the fact that phi is equal to 2* theta & using the identity tan (x/2) = +/- sqrt [(1-cosx)/(1+cosx)] I am having trouble figuring out and expression for the cosine of the angle phi, since I cannot draw in a right triangle.
I have also tried to use the law of sines and law cosines, but I'm not having much luck. Any pointers about how to use this identity?

any ideas?

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Related to Quick question-Representing a curve w/a DE

What is a DE (differential equation)?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe how a certain quantity changes over time or space.

Why do we use differential equations to represent curves?

Differential equations are used to represent curves because they provide a precise mathematical description of how a curve changes at each point. This allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the curve.

What is the difference between an ordinary DE and a partial DE?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, whereas a partial differential equation (PDE) involves two or more independent variables. ODEs are typically used to model one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for more complex systems with multiple dimensions.

What are the steps to solve a DE?

The steps to solve a differential equation depend on the type of DE and its order (the highest derivative present). In general, the steps involve transforming the equation into a simpler form, finding the general solution, and then applying initial or boundary conditions to find a particular solution.

What are some real-world applications of DEs?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and many other phenomena. DEs are also essential in designing and optimizing systems and processes.