Master Darts in a Moving Elevator: A Guide to Precision Aim

• Thread starter JoshuaC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the elevator rising at a constant speed does not affect the acceleration or aiming of a dart thrown inside. The dart will experience the same downward acceleration due to gravity as it would on the ground, and therefore should be aimed the same way. The altitude may affect the dart's flight due to differences in air pressure, but this can be compensated for with practice.
JoshuaC
You are playing darts in an elevator that is rising at a constant speed. Should you still aim at your target the way you would normally do, or should you aim higher, or lower? Explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

Remember that speed is "relative". (No "einsteinean relativity" required here, just "Gallilean relativity".)

I feel like it would be the same because everything in the elevator is moving up at the same upward velocity, but I am not sure.

Ah you are right. But in the period of time during which the dart is in the air, is the dart being pulled up like the rest of the elevator?

Vorde said:
Ah you are right. But in the period of time during which the dart is in the air, is the dart being pulled up like the rest of the elevator?

Note that the problem states the elevator is rising a constant speed, and hence is not accelerating.

dipole said:
Note that the problem states the elevator is rising a constant speed, and hence is not accelerating.

Doesn't what I'm saying still matter though? If it is rising at a constant speed it means there is an acceleration equal to 9.8 m/s^2 up. The dart, in midair, doesn't feel this acceleration.

Vorde said:
Doesn't what I'm saying still matter though? If it is rising at a constant speed it means there is an acceleration equal to 9.8 m/s^2 up. The dart, in midair, doesn't feel this acceleration.

Doh, yes you're definitely right. I thought you were implying there were pseudo-forces present in the elevator.

Not true. If it is rising at a constant velocity, there is 0 acceleration up or else it would not be rising at a constant velocity.

Vorde said:

No, there is no acceleration if the velocity is constant.

Drakkith said:
No, there is no acceleration if the velocity is constant.

Of course, but the second the 'dart' leaves the thrower's hand, it's no longer being pushed up by the force of the rising elevator cart (mediated by your hand) and therefore it feels a downward force equal to g, right?

Vorde said:
Of course, but the second the 'dart' leaves the thrower's hand, it's no longer being pushed up by the force of the rising elevator cart (mediated by your hand) and therefore it feels a downward force equal to g, right?

It already feels a force downward equal to g before the throw. (Just like a dart supported by someone on the ground) Once it is released it is rising at the same velocity as the rest of the elevator and will act identically to a dart thrown on the ground.

JoshuaC said:
You are playing darts in an elevator that is rising at a constant speed. Should you still aim at your target the way you would normally do, or should you aim higher, or lower? Explain.

No, different acceleration is experienced due to altitude

but the probability could be the same

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
It already feels a force downward equal to g before the throw. (Just like a dart supported by someone on the ground) Once it is released it is rising at the same velocity as the rest of the elevator and will act identically to a dart thrown on the ground.

I see what I was thinking wrong. In my head I was thinking that the added velocity would make it seem like there was a greater acceleration, I can see why that is wrong.

Thank you, and to the OP: listen to Drakkith.

Reogl said:
No, different acceleration is experienced due to altitude

but the probability could be the same

NO, :)

read the several previous comments, The speed is constant, there is NO acceleration :)

Dave

davenn said:
NO, :)

read the several previous comments, The speed is constant, there is NO acceleration :)

Dave

Doing that on top of the high mountain is the same.. no acceleration but different g "acceleration due to gravity due to altitude" (should have use that phrase in my last post).
Thus, lighter "darts" to throw . Aiming is a matter of memorizing the motor complex for certain dart flight..try 3 throws first probably the 4th is more precise.

Last edited:
The dart would start to accelerate downwards due to gravity once it leaves your hand, but that happens when you are at ground level as well so you shouldn't have to adjust your aim.

1. How do I aim my darts accurately in a moving elevator?

To aim your darts accurately in a moving elevator, you need to first understand the trajectory of your darts. The key is to aim slightly above your target to account for the movement of the elevator. You should also consider the direction of the elevator's movement and adjust your aim accordingly. Practice and trial-and-error will help you find the perfect aim for your darts in a moving elevator.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of my darts in a moving elevator?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of your darts in a moving elevator. These include the speed and direction of the elevator, the distance between you and your target, and your own hand-eye coordination. Additionally, any sudden movements or changes in the elevator's movement can also impact your aim.

3. Is it possible to achieve the same level of precision in a moving elevator as in a stationary environment?

While it may be more challenging, it is definitely possible to achieve the same level of precision in a moving elevator as in a stationary environment. It may require more practice and adjustments, but with the right technique and aim, you can still hit your target accurately.

4. Can this guide be used for any type of dart game?

Yes, the techniques and tips outlined in this guide can be applied to any type of dart game. However, it is important to note that the movement and speed of the elevator may vary depending on the type of building or location, so adjustments may need to be made accordingly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when playing darts in a moving elevator?

It is important to always prioritize safety when playing darts in a moving elevator. Make sure to check with the building's management or security team before playing and follow any guidelines or restrictions they may have. Additionally, make sure to avoid aiming at people or objects that may be in the elevator with you, and always use caution and common sense when playing in a confined and moving space.