Quick trigonometric function problem

In summary: The way I did it was:cos(x) = (-1 + √33)/8andcos(x) = (-1 - √33)/8-1/8 is the maximum and -1.8058 is the minimum. Am I missing something obvious?
Elpinetos

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve of y=sin(x)+sin(2x)

I got all the derivatives, and the roots N(k*∏|0), but now I'm stuck with the maxima/minima

Homework Equations

First derivative y'=cos(x)+2cos(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set cos(x)+2cos(2x)=0 but now I'm stuck. I just don't know how to solve this oO
Graph-plotters and the solution book spit out -2,57 -0,94 and so on, but how do I get this solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elpinetos said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve of y=sin(x)+sin(2x)

I got all the derivatives, and the roots N(k*∏|0), but now I'm stuck with the maxima/minima

Homework Equations

First derivative y'=cos(x)+2cos(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set cos(x)+2cos(2x)=0 but now I'm stuck. I just don't know how to solve this oO
Graph-plotters and the solution book spit out -2,57 -0,94 and so on, but how do I get this solution?

Use a double angle formula to express cos(2x) in terms of cos(x).

Likes 1 person
So cos(2x) = 2cos^2(x)-1?

When I calculate that through I get cos(x)+4cos(x) = 1

What now? Sorry, I'm really bad at trigonometric identities :(

Elpinetos said:
I got all the derivatives, and the roots N(k*∏|0)

What does ∏|0 mean?

Elpinetos said:

What happened to the cos(x)^2? You should get a quadratic equation in cos(x). Use that to find the possible values of cos(x).

Likes 1 person
Elpinetos said:

You made a mistake with your multiplication here, look at what the 2 should be multiplying, you also lost a power.

Likes 1 person
Sorry, I made a typo, I meant I get cos(x)+4*cos^2(x) = 1
I don't know what to do with this equation :(

@Mark: It means x=k*pi and y=0

Elpinetos said:
Sorry, I made a typo, I meant I get cos(x)+4*cos^2(x) = 1
I don't know what to do with this equation :(

@Mark: It means x=k*pi and y=0
Still wrong. 2[cos(2x)]

Likes 1 person
How can I change cos(x)+2cos(2x) to 2[cos(2x)]? oO
I don't get it :(

Elpinetos said:
How can I change cos(x)+2cos(2x) to 2[cos(2x)]? oO
I don't get it :(

No no, take a realllll close look at your algebra after you switch the 2[cos(2x)] with 2[2cos2(x)-1].

Since you want to find the roots, what kind of equation does this now produce? What can you do with this equation to make your life easier? What has to be done to the equation to find the roots? Hint: Don't move the constant like you've been doing and maybe it'll all make more sense.

Likes 1 person
Oh okay, so I get cos(x)+4cos^2(x)-2 = 0

And now? Oo

Elpinetos said:
Oh okay, so I get cos(x)+4cos^2(x)-2 = 0

And now? Oo

Haha good job.

Now what type of equation is that?

Likes 1 person
It's a quadratic equation, but can I use the formula to solve those for cos(x) too?
Sorry, I'm so rusty in algebra and math, haven't been doing any for 3 years now *sigh*

Elpinetos said:
It's a quadratic equation, but can I use the formula to solve those for cos(x) too?
Sorry, I'm so rusty in algebra and math, haven't been doing any for 3 years now *sigh*

Don't feel bad, I'm still pretty bad at math.

You certainly can. You could use u substitution to put it in terms of u if it's confusing for you:
u = cos(x)
4u2 + u -2.

Or you could also just plug it into the quadratic formula as is.

You just have to remember that cos(x) oscillates, so you have to put the anwser in terms of 2[itex]\pi[/itex]n. Unless your question states a closed interval. Also, you have to use the inverse trig function.

You can brush up on algebra here: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
So the answer would be cos(x) = -1(+-)sqrt(33)/8 ?

This gives me the solutions from above :) Thank you :)

How do I convert this into 2pi*n though?

Elpinetos said:

Does the problem state an interval to draw the original function on? It's probably assumed you'd only have to draw from [itex] (-2\pi , 2\pi) [/itex] So it isn't important for this problem most likely, but it's nice to know:

[itex] 2\pi n \pm \arccos( \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt(33)} {8})[/itex]

This would give you the relative extrema for as long as you'd want to look at the original function.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you :)

Elpinetos said:
What you wrote is something different from what you mean.
This is what you wrote:
$$cos(x) = - 1 \pm \frac{\sqrt{33}}{8}$$

What you meant was this:
$$cos(x) = \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{33}}{8}$$

If you don't use LaTeX to write this, you need parentheses around the entire numerator, like so:
cos(x) = (-1 ± √33)/8

Apparently what you wrote confused Student100, who is not working with the correct value.
Elpinetos said:

Student100 said:
Does the problem state an interval to draw the original function on? It's probably assumed you'd only have to draw from [itex] [-2\pi , 2\pi] [/itex] So it isn't important for this problem most likely, but it's nice to know:

[itex] 2\pi n \pm \arccos( \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt(33)} {8})[/itex]
Student100, I don't believe this is correct. It looks like you are saying cos-1(A + B) = cos-1(A) + cos-1(B). That is NOT true.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
Student100, I don't believe this is correct. It looks like you are saying cos-1(A + B) = cos-1(A) + cos-1(B). That is NOT true.

Your right Mark, I was trying to save time by putting everything in one expression. I could see how that might be confusing.

Quick question:

Which root is outside the domain? I thought I did a quick check on the calculator and both were valid. I may be wrong.

Student100 said:
Your right Mark, I was trying to save time by putting everything in one expression. I could see how that might be confusing.
Not just confusing, but wrong, if my understanding of what you did is correct. Is this what you did? cos-1(A + B) = cos-1(A) + cos-1(B)?
Student100 said:
Quick question:

Which root is outside the domain? I thought I did a quick check on the calculator and both were valid. I may be wrong.
Neither is outside the domain. I got fixated on the OP's solution of -1 ± (√33)/8 and this threw me off. The correctly written values, (-1 ± √33)/8, are both within the interval [-1, 1].

Mark44 said:
Not just confusing, but wrong, if my understanding of what you did is correct. Is this what you did? cos-1(A + B) = cos-1(A) + cos-1(B)?

[itex] 2\pi n + \arccos( \frac{-1 - \sqrt{33}} {8})[/itex]

[itex] 2\pi n - \arccos( \frac{-1 - \sqrt{33}} {8})[/itex]

[itex] 2\pi n + \arccos( \frac{\sqrt{33}-1} {8})[/itex]

[itex] 2\pi n - \arccos( \frac{\sqrt{33}-1} {8})[/itex]

Is what I meant, which can be obtained from the first expression I posted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

1. What is a quick trigonometric function problem?

A quick trigonometric function problem is a mathematical problem that involves using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle. These problems are usually solved using a calculator or by using trigonometric tables.

2. How do I solve a quick trigonometric function problem?

To solve a quick trigonometric function problem, you will need to identify which trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) to use based on the given information. Then, you can use the inverse function (arcsine, arccosine, or arctangent) to find the missing angle or side. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric identities to solve for the remaining unknown values.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving quick trigonometric function problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving quick trigonometric function problems include using the wrong trigonometric function, forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, and rounding too early in the calculation. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these errors.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve quick trigonometric function problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve quick trigonometric function problems. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions and their inverse functions built-in, making it easier to solve these types of problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind trigonometric functions and not solely rely on a calculator for solving problems.

5. What are some real-life applications of quick trigonometric function problems?

Quick trigonometric function problems have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, architecture, surveying, and navigation. For example, engineers may use trigonometric functions to calculate the height of a building or the angle of inclination for a ramp. Pilots and sailors use trigonometry to navigate and determine their position in relation to other objects. Trigonometric functions are also used in video game programming and computer graphics to create realistic movements and angles.