Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quiscent voltage as mention in my hall sensor

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    Hi!!

I am using this hall sensor http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0d88/0900766b80d88153.pdf

i got 2 problems:

1. When i vary the magnetic field, the hall sensor is acting like digital, i mean, it showing either high value or low value... Its not varying linearly as the distance between the magnet and sensor varies.

2. The quiscent voltage of this sensor is 2.5V (that is, the hall voltage must be 2.5V without the magnetic field), but it showing 0.7V.

I am playing with this voltage only, when i bring the north pole of the magnet near to the sensor, the reading is 0.1V and moves away it showing 0.7V (like digital)

Please help me out..

Thanq

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2
    1. You may be saturating the sensor. The range of B fields over which it is linear is small (or smaller than the magnet you are using). A rare earth magnet can be as high as 10,000 gauss. The transfer ratio is 2.5 mV- 5 mV /G. Try using an Alnico or similar non-rare earth magnet to test it. However...

2. This may be part of the problem - solve it first because you may not be biasing the device properly in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook