1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R^2=9cos(3Ө) Convert to rectangular cordinates

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    -In order for me to figure out this problem I had to reverse the equality to isolate the Ө on the left side making the new equation 9cos(3Ө)=r^2. The first thing I’m going to do is change cos(3Ө) in terms of cos and sin. That will make my new equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = r^2. Now since r^2 will just reduce to x^2 + y^2 I am now left with the equation 9(2cos^3Ө – cosӨ – 2sin^2ӨcosӨ) = x^2 + y^2. After this I have no idea what comes next.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

HOI

I don't see any reason to "isolate the Ө". You are, however, wrong about cos(3Ө). You know, I presume, that cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b) and sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)+ cos(a)sin(b) so that cos(2Ө)= cos^2(Ө)- sin^2(Ө) and sin(2Ө)= 2sin(Ө)cos(Ө). Then cos(3Ө)= cos(2Ө+ Ө)= cos(2Ө)cos(Ө)- sin(2Ө)sin(Ө)= (cos^2(Ө)- sin^2(Ө))cos(Ө)- 2sin(Ө)cos(Ө)(sin(Ө))= cos^3(Ө)- 3sin^2(Ө)cos(Ө).

Your equation, r^2= 9cos(3Ө) is r^2= 9cos^3(Ө)- 9 sin^2(Ө) cos(Ө).

I would mulriply both sides by r^3 to get r^5= 9r^3cos^3(Ө)- 9 (r^2 sin^2(\theta))(rcos(\theta). Now replace r sin(Ө) by y and r cos(Ө) by x:
    r^5= 9y^2x^3. Further, r= (x^2+ y^2)^(1/2) and r^5= (x^2+ y^2)^{5/2} so (x^2+ y^2)^{5/2}= 9x^3y^2. If you don't want the 1/2 power, square both sides:
    x^2+ y^2= 81x^6y^4.

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello bubbly616. Welcome to PF !

In the future:
    Please include all information regarding the statement of your problem in "1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data", even if the information is in the title of the thread.

5. Aug 13, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you are going to find a simple algebraic expression for r in terms of x and y cartesian coordinates, especially when the RHS of the equation evaluates to a negative value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted