Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation from a phone mast vs from a phone

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    Hi guys

I'm not going ask is radiation from phones and masts safe, half would say it's absolutely safe and half would say it's probably a bit dangerous.

My question is how does phone mast radiation compare to mobile phone radiation, broadly speaking of course. I'm moving house soon and there's a mast about 20m away (similar height to my house) and another about 50m away. How would this radiation compare to a phone (not in a call but when switched on) or WiFi radiation? Now I am aware there'll be many factors involved here such as the power and direction of the mast and so on, so I am asking for a guesstimate. Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impossible to say. Phone masts don't always transmit equally in all directions. Most countries have regulations on exposure in nearby properties.

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4
  6. Apr 15, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Different frequencies, though.

7. Apr 16, 2017 #6
    So the mast frequencies are safer?

8. Apr 16, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not necessarily, depends on power levels. Also, many cellular frequencies are very close to the microwave oven frequency of 2.45 GHz
    For example, here is the Australian cellular bands.....

upload_2017-4-17_8-56-36.png

Dave

9. Apr 17, 2017 #8

russ_watters

No, a normal microwave.
    Not in this forum they wouldn't. But if you ask a group of people somewhere and half say it's dangerous, you're asking the wrong group!

10. Apr 17, 2017 #9

Drakkith

To expand a bit on Russ's post:
    Note that the linked article states that the microwave is "leaking at the British Standards Institute limit".
    So the 0.5 V/m is the maximum allowable leakage from a microwave according to these standards. In other words, this is the maximum leakage that is still considered safe for a consumer to use. That doesn't mean that higher amounts are dangerous though. We tend to err on the side of caution in situations like this. If exposure to low intensity microwave radiation is dangerous, then the effects must be very subtle, as we don't see any obvious damage in the short term and the long term effects must be small enough that they are buried within the noise from thousands of other health hazards you face every day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted