Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Radiation from a Square Loop of Current

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    It is well known that a circular loop of steady current does not radiate, even though each individual charge is undergoing centripetal acceleration.

How about a loop of steady current that is shaped in a square? Does this structure radiate?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

tech99

Gold Member

Imagine the static field of the charges in the wire. The lines of force point radially outwards everywhere, and are always normal to the wire. Even when it goes round a corner they are normal to the wire. To have radiation, they need to be not normal but pushed to one side a bit. In this way a transverse component of field is created, the radiated E-field. This only occurs if the current is varied, as with AC or at switch-on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016
  4. Apr 24, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You get radiation when you have a changing dipole (or higher) moment. So nothing with a steady current will radiate.

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

tech99

Gold Member

Further to my reply, if the electrons can move fast enough with a steady current it is possible to obtain cyclotron radiation. But electrons in a wire are only travelling at, say, 1 mm an hour. In a vacuum tube it is possible for them to go round millions of times a second, and then cyclotron radiation can be seen at the rotation frequency.

6. Apr 26, 2016 #5
    and i guess radiated power will be given by Larmor's formula ?

7. Apr 27, 2016 #6

tech99

Gold Member

Yes, taking the radial acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted