Radicals-getting a rational denominator

• Thread starter liz777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying radicals and provides steps for finding the simplified form of expressions involving square roots. It also mentions the process of prime factorization and how it can be used to simplify radicals.
liz777
So one of my problems is the square root of 768/square root of 384. I tried multiplying it by the square root of 384/square root of 384, but i ended up with a crazy answer. Should I simply the radicals first and then try it?...never mind, I divide radical 768/radical 384 to get radical 2, right?

But another one I'm stuck on...how do you simplify 9/ square root of 448?

Also,if I have radical 324/radical 147, should I simplify it, like make radical 324, 2 radical 6?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to prime factor 448 to see how this can be simplified. The most obvious first step is to recognize that 448 is even and divisible by 2 (by 4, in fact). If you do that you'll notice that the answer is also divisible by two, and so is the result of that division, and so on...in the end you'll find that 448 is divisible by 2 six times, with the result being 7.

448 = 64 x 7 = 2^6 x 7

of course the square root of 2^6 is 2^3 (ie the square root of 64 is 8). Can you proceed from this point?

Thanks, I think I get it. So if I simplied radical 448 out, I would get 8 radical 7. So my final answer would be 9 radical 7 divided by 56.

What does it mean to "get a rational denominator"?

Getting a rational denominator means simplifying a radical expression so that the denominator (or bottom number) does not have any square roots or other radical symbols. This makes the expression easier to work with and can help in solving equations or simplifying further.

Why is it important to get a rational denominator?

Having a rational denominator makes it easier to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on radical expressions. It also helps in simplifying and solving equations involving radicals.

How do you get a rational denominator?

To get a rational denominator, you need to use the properties of radicals to simplify the expression. This may involve factoring, finding perfect squares, or using the quotient property of radicals. It is important to follow the correct steps and simplify as much as possible.

Can you give an example of "getting a rational denominator"?

Sure, for example, if we have the expression √3/√6, we can get a rational denominator by rationalizing the denominator. This involves multiplying both the numerator and denominator by √6, which gives us (√3 * √6)/(√6 * √6) = √18/6. We can then simplify this further to √2/2, which is a rational denominator.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid while "getting a rational denominator"?

Yes, one common mistake is not simplifying the expression as much as possible. It is important to simplify as much as possible before rationalizing the denominator. Another mistake is not following the correct steps, such as multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the same number when using the quotient property of radicals.