1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive decay and finding half life

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    A sample of tritium 3 decayed to 94.5% of its original amount after a year.
    (a) What is the half-life of tritium-3?
    (b) How long would it take the sample to decay to 20% of its original

The only equations given in my book are dm/dt = km and m(t) = m(0)e^kt but the mass is not given in the problem. Is there another equation I should be using or am I just not seeing what exactly I should be using from the problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter what mass it is because you know what ratios they have to decay to.
  4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    Hint: Use the second eqn. Let initial mass be at t=0, ie m(0) in th expression. So at t = 1 year, m(t) becomes 94.5% of m(0).
    Can you proceed now ?
    Of course as Kurdt said you will find the final expression independent of mass, since only the ratio that remains is what matters.
  5. Dec 3, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The sample decayed to 94.5% of it's original amout."

So if the initial mass is M, what is the mass after 1 year?
  6. Dec 3, 2006 #5
    [tex]m(1)=0,945m(0)[/tex]. Do you see why?

So that m(0) now cancel out and you have:

You can now find k.
  7. Dec 3, 2006 #6
    I understand it now and I'm pretty sure I got it I just have one question.... why is it e^(-k)? I understand t = 1 so that just leaves me with k but why is it negative?
  8. Dec 3, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because it describes the decay of a radioactive substance thus the power to which an exponential should be raised to describe decay must be negative. A positive power would lead to growth.
  9. Dec 3, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't really need the exponential form. Since the question is ask for "half-life", write
    [tex]M(t)= M_0(\frac{1}{2})^\frac{t}{T}[/tex]
    Since for t= T, that multiplies M_0 by 1/2, T is the half-life.

When t= 1,
    [tex]M(1)= .954M_0= M_0(\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{T}[/tex]
    [tex].954= (\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{T}[/tex]
    Take logarythms of both sides and solve for T.
  10. Dec 3, 2006 #9
    I'm really sorry but now I'm confused.
  11. Dec 3, 2006 #10
    Your book didn't really do you any favors on the k thing. Since the amount of radioactive material remaining decreases as time increases, the first equation should properly be written as:

The minus sign on the kt represents the fact that m is decreasing as time increases (and vice-versa.)

When you solve that equation, you'll get

That's good. As time increases, m decreases. k will be the decay constant, which is just ln(2)/(half-life). With the way your equations are written, k is actually the negative decay constant. It should be pretty obvious when you try to solve it, since the half-life has to be a positive value.

Anyway, remember that k isn't actually the value you're looking for in part a. If has units of inverse time. half-life = ln(2)/k is what you want.
  12. Dec 4, 2006 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is it that confuses you? Do you understand that If the half life is T, then the amount is multiplied by 1/2 every T years? Do you know how to solve [tex].954= (\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{T}[/tex]?

As I said, take logarithms of both sides.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?