Radius & Angular Speed of Proton in Cyclotron

In summary, the goal is to accelerate protons in a cyclotron to an energy of 5.4 MeV using a superconducting electromagnet with a magnetic field of 3.5 T. When the protons have achieved a kinetic energy of 2.7 MeV, their circular orbit has a radius of 0.068m and an angular speed of 3.353*10^8 rad/s. These values are confirmed using the equations R=mv/qB and w=v/R.
pat666

Homework Statement

A cyclotron is to accelerate protons to an energy of 5.4 MeV. The superconducting electromagnet of the cyclotron produces a magnetic field of 3.5 T, perpendicular to the proton’s orbits.
a) When the protons have achieved a kinetic energy of 2.7 MeV, what is the radius of their circular orbit and what is their angular speed?
b) Repeat part a) when the protons have achieved their final kinetic energy of 5.4 MeV.

Homework Equations

R=mv/qB
fc=qB/(2pi*m)

The Attempt at a Solution

google calc
2.7 megaelectron volts = 4.32587645 × 10-13 joules
mass of a proton 1.67262158 × 10-27 kilograms
elementary charge = 1.60217646 × 10-19 coulombs
K=1/2mv2 not totally sure if I can use this -cant see why not either?
v=2.2743*107
subbing all values in
R=0.068m
not sure what sort of range these are usually in so I can't tell if my answer seems right or not?

found fc to be 5.33588*107Hz so w=3.353*108rad/s

I really just need to know if these values seem right and someone to check my procedure(and answers if your really nice). b is the same so i won't bother wasting time with that.
thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that seems right, though I'll admit that I didn't do the numbers myself. I think you should be using w = v/R though.

Related to Radius & Angular Speed of Proton in Cyclotron

1. What is the radius of a proton in a cyclotron?

The radius of a proton in a cyclotron depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the proton. It can range from a few centimeters to several meters.

2. How is the angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron determined?

The angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron is determined by the frequency of the alternating voltage applied to the dees (the electrodes that accelerate the protons) and the radius of the cyclotron.

3. What is the relationship between the radius and the angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron?

The radius and the angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron are inversely proportional. This means that as the radius of the cyclotron increases, the angular speed decreases, and vice versa.

4. What factors affect the radius and angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron?

The main factors that affect the radius and angular speed of a proton in a cyclotron are the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the alternating voltage, and the mass of the proton.

5. What is the purpose of controlling the radius and angular speed of protons in a cyclotron?

The purpose of controlling the radius and angular speed of protons in a cyclotron is to ensure that the protons follow a precise path and collide with the target material at the desired energy level. This allows for the production of high-energy particles for various scientific and medical applications.