Radius probability of random cut hemisphere.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of randomly cutting a hemisphere and how it affects the radius of the resulting cross-section. The question posed is about the average length of the radius of a randomly cut cross-section. One approach is to do numerical calculations, which yielded a value of 0.7855 of the original radius. The other approach is to use an analytical method, which involves integration and results in a value of πR/4, where R is the radius of the hemisphere. The speaker admits to using Mathematica to obtain the solution and jokes about being useless on a deserted island without it.
quasi426
Imagine viewing a hemisphere normal to the equator such that it looks like a circile with the full radius of the hemisphere. Now randomly section or cut the hemisphere in a manner a tomato is sliced. If we only consider the portion of the hemisphere that contains the pole we should be generating a smaller radius then the full radius given we actually cut something off.

My question is the following:
What is the average length of the radius of a randomly cut cross-section?

I did this numerically and obtained 0.7855 of the original radius. What is the analytical approach? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do some integration .
You will get
[tex]\frac{\pi R}{4}[/tex]
where R is the radius of the sphere

Last edited:
Ah I see, I just integrate sqrt(1-x^2) from 0 to R. That's a tough integral though for a guy who hasn't done much calculus in 3 years, I was lazy and used mathematica to obtain the solution. Makes me feel like I would be useless in a deserted island. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of "Radius probability of random cut hemisphere"?

The radius probability of random cut hemisphere is a mathematical concept that represents the likelihood of a random point on the surface of a hemisphere being a certain distance from the center of the hemisphere.

2. How is the radius probability of random cut hemisphere calculated?

The radius probability of random cut hemisphere is calculated by dividing the surface area of a hemisphere by the total area of a circle with the same radius. This gives the probability of a random point on the hemisphere's surface falling within a certain radius from the center.

3. What is the significance of the radius probability of random cut hemisphere in science?

The radius probability of random cut hemisphere is important in various fields of science, such as physics, astronomy, and biology. It can be used to calculate the likelihood of certain events or phenomena occurring within a specific distance from a given point or object.

4. How does the radius probability of random cut hemisphere relate to probability distributions?

The radius probability of random cut hemisphere is a type of probability distribution, specifically a continuous uniform distribution. This means that all points on the hemisphere's surface have an equal chance of being selected, and the probability of selecting a point within a certain radius is constant.

5. Can the radius probability of random cut hemisphere be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the radius probability of random cut hemisphere can be applied to real-world situations, such as predicting the likelihood of objects colliding in space or estimating the probability of a disease spreading within a certain distance from an infected individual. It can also be used in simulations and experiments to model random events and outcomes.