Probability: random length of poles, how much is lost?

In summary, the random variable Y is the length of each piece lost as a function of the length of the original pole. If the length of the original pole is less than L, the entire pole is lost. If it is greater than L, the pole with be cut down to L, and the section left over is lost.
forty
Suppose the length of a pole is a random variable X, with mean m(x) and probability density function f(x). Poles are cut to obtain an exact length L. If the initial length of the pole is less than L, the entire pole is lost. If it is greater than L, the pole with be cut down to L, and the section left over is lost.

We are interested in the random variable Y, defined as the length of each piece lost.

i) Sketch the graph y (values of Y) as a function of x (values of X), and derive m(y) = E[Y] as a function of f(x) and m(x).

The graph...

y=x , x < L
y=x-L , x => L

but how do I derive the mean of Y?

Any helps as always greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

There may be a shorter way, but here's a way that works.

If you knew the pdf f_Y for the random variable Y, you could find E[Y] by integrating y times f_Y(y) from 0 to infinity.

So, derive the pdf f_Y by finding the cdf F_Y(t)=P(Y <= t) and then taking the derivative.

If I did it right, finding F_Y(t) in terms of integrals of f_X takes a couple of steps, finding the derivative is then one step, and then finally computing E[Y] takes several steps including a change of variables in integration.

Another suggestion but please double check.

Since y = g(x). I.e.

y = x , x < L
y = x-L , x => L

Then

[tex]E(y) = E(g(x)) = \int {g(x) f(x)} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{L} {x f(x)} dx + \int_{L}^{\infty} {(x-L)f(x)} dx[/tex]

where I am saying m(x) is equivalent to E(x).

I am a bit rusty so this might be completely wrong.

Definitely do it bsdz's way! My way gets to the same formula but takes six times as long.

thanks guys!

1. What is the concept of probability?

Probability is a mathematical measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. How does random length of poles affect probability?

Random length of poles can impact probability in that it introduces uncertainty into the calculation. The variability in the length of the poles can change the number of desired outcomes and therefore affect the probability of an event occurring.

4. Why is probability important in scientific experiments?

Probability is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to assess the likelihood of their results being due to chance. By understanding the probability of different outcomes, scientists can make informed decisions about the significance of their findings.

5. How can probability be used to determine how much is lost?

Probability can be used to determine how much is lost by calculating the expected value. This involves multiplying the probability of each possible outcome by the value associated with that outcome and then summing all of these products. The resulting value represents the average amount that can be expected to be lost in a given situation.