Rainbow without rain at Stonehenge

In summary, the conversation focused on the importance of effective communication in relationships. The speakers discussed the need for active listening and understanding in order to maintain healthy and fulfilling connections. They also highlighted the impact of technology and social media on communication and emphasized the value of face-to-face interactions. Overall, the conversation emphasized the role of communication in building and maintaining strong relationships.
datacloud
Here is a video that I took on the 14/9/2011 after having an undefined urge to go to Stonehenge. My location was atop the first in the line of mounds that make up the Winterbourne barrows. What you can see is a rainbow formed at sunrise with the sun in direct alignment to the barrows but with no rain. Does anybody have an explanation? Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/andypandyspp?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/70ezgfUyja4

Physics news on Phys.org
datacloud said:
Here is a video that I took on the 14/9/2011 after having an undefined urge to go to Stonehenge. My location was atop the first in the line of mounds that make up the Winterbourne barrows. What you can see is a rainbow formed at sunrise with the sun in direct alignment to the barrows but with no rain. Does anybody have an explanation? Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/andypandyspp?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/70ezgfUyja4
Rain is not required to see a rainbow, from the storm clouds in the video, it would make sense that there is sufficient moisture in the air.

Please do not start threads on obvious occurences without doing an internet search first. Then if you can't find an answer, you can tell us what you searched for, what you found and what you don't understand.

I'd like to echo Evo's comment here. It is always best to spent some time researching yourself before turning to others. The first paragraph on the extensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow" [Broken] shows that rainbows are created from moisture in the air rather than rain;
wikipedia said:
A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines on to droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere...Rainbows can be caused by many forms of airborne water. These include not only rain, but also mist, spray, and airborne dew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Is it usual for rainbows to begin mid-field and arch so highly. I thought that they usually rose and fell on the horizon.

datacloud said:
Thanks guys. Is it usual for rainbows to begin mid-field and arch so highly. I thought that they usually rose and fell on the horizon.

Rainbows appear at specific angles in atmosphere with the right characteristics. The wikipedia article explains much of this.

1. What causes a rainbow to appear without rain at Stonehenge?

A rainbow appears when sunlight is refracted and reflected off of water droplets in the air. In the case of a rainbow without rain at Stonehenge, the sunlight is being refracted and reflected off of moisture in the air, such as mist or fog.

2. Is a rainbow without rain at Stonehenge a common occurrence?

No, it is not a common occurrence. Rainbows typically require rain or moisture in the air to form. However, due to Stonehenge's location on the Salisbury Plain, mist and fog can often be present, creating the conditions for a rainbow to appear without rain.

3. Are there any special meanings or beliefs associated with a rainbow at Stonehenge?

Stonehenge has been a site of significance for thousands of years and has been associated with many different beliefs and meanings. Some believe that a rainbow at Stonehenge is a symbol of peace and harmony, while others see it as a sign of good luck or a blessing from the gods.

4. Can a rainbow at Stonehenge be seen at any time of day?

No, a rainbow can only be seen when the sun is shining and the angle of the sun's rays is just right. This typically occurs in the early morning or late afternoon. It is less likely to see a rainbow at Stonehenge during the middle of the day when the sun is directly overhead.

5. Is there a specific spot at Stonehenge where a rainbow is more likely to appear?

There is no specific spot at Stonehenge where a rainbow is more likely to appear. However, due to the monument's alignment with the sun during the summer solstice, it is possible that a rainbow may appear in that direction during that time of year.

Back