Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rainbow without rain at Stonehenge

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Here is a video that I took on the 14/9/2011 after having an undefined urge to go to Stonehenge. My location was atop the first in the line of mounds that make up the Winterbourne barrows. What you can see is a rainbow formed at sunrise with the sun in direct alignment to the barrows but with no rain. Does anybody have an explanation? Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/andypandyspp?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/70ezgfUyja4

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Rain is not required to see a rainbow, from the storm clouds in the video, it would make sense that there is sufficient moisture in the air.

Please do not start threads on obvious occurences without doing an internet search first. Then if you can't find an answer, you can tell us what you searched for, what you found and what you don't understand.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

I'd like to echo Evo's comment here. It is always best to spent some time researching yourself before turning to others. The first paragraph on the extensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow" [Broken] shows that rainbows are created from moisture in the air rather than rain;

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    Thanks guys. Is it usual for rainbows to begin mid-field and arch so highly. I thought that they usually rose and fell on the horizon.

6. Oct 18, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

Rainbows appear at specific angles in atmosphere with the right characteristics. The wikipedia article explains much of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook