Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,536
I'm not a Francophile, but French has the coolest words for very particular and often spooky phenomena. i.e. Deja Vu, of course, and my favorite,
L’appel du vide, "the call of the void." It is an inexplicable urge to jump from a high place, (or something similarly reckless, even if one isn't particularly suicidal).

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,537
dkotschessaa said:
I'm not a Francophile, but French has the coolest words for very particular and often spooky phenomena. i.e. Deja Vu, of course, and my favorite,
L’appel du vide, "the call of the void." It is an inexplicable urge to jump from a high place, (or something similarly reckless, even if one isn't particularly suicidal).
Yes, that phrase has a certain " I don't know what".

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #3,538
Nostalgia is back. Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

• #3,539
Nostalgia has been around for far too long.

• #3,540
How did the flatfish end up the way it did? It's just not natural for a whole race of creatures to spend their lives resting on what is clearly their sides.

• #3,541
Are there left sided and right sided flatfish?

• #3,542
rootone said:
Are there left sided and right sided flatfish?
It's an important question, but I don't personally know any flatfish I could ask.

• #3,543
zoobyshoe said:
It's just not natural for a whole race of creatures to spend their lives resting on what is clearly their sides.
This should read: "It's just not natural for a whole race of creatures to spend it's life resting on what is clearly it's side." For, the subject of the sentence is "race," not "creatures."

• #3,544
rootone said:
Nostalgia has been around for far too long.
I guess it would not make sense to call this nostalgia 2.0, new and improved nostalgia? But still, just not as good as the old one...nothing can ever be (sigh).

• #3,545
zoobyshoe said:
This should read: "It's just not natural for a whole race of creatures to spend it's life resting on what is clearly it's side." For, the subject of the sentence is "race," not "creatures."
I know a lot of people who spend most of their lives resting on their back sides. There are whole industries and TV channels catering to them.

• #3,546
I used to get nostalgic, but now I don't. Ah...I remember the days when I used to be nostalgic...

Likes WWGD and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,547
I am not always nostalgic. But at night I do have dreams once in a while about the hardships I went through during my school days.

• #3,548
I have not had a nightmare in at least 8 years or so. I'd like to think this means that me and my subconscious have things pretty well worked out.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,549
sub·con·scious
səbˈkänSHəs/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of or concerning the part of the mind of which one is not fully aware but which influences one's actions and feelings.
    "my subconscious fear"
    synonyms: unconscious, latent, suppressed, repressed, subliminal, dormant,underlying, innermost;
    informalbottled up
    "subconscious desires"
noun
  1. 1.
    the subconscious part of the mind (not in technical use in psychoanalysis, where unconscious is preferred).
    synonyms: (unconscious) mind, imagination, inner(most) self, psyche
    "the creative powers of the subconscious"
Provided that past things I actually never forget remain buried deep inside of me, nothing else will matter. :approve:

• #3,550
zoobyshoe said:
How did the flatfish end up the way it did? It's just not natural for a whole race of creatures to spend their lives resting on what is clearly their sides.
If you drop a flatfish, will it land face-side up?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,551
dkotschessaa said:
I used to get nostalgic, but now I don't. Ah...I remember the days when I used to be nostalgic...
You know, they just don't make nostalgia like they used to, do they ?.

• #3,552
jim hardy said:
You know, they just don't make nostalgia like they used to, do they ?.

(Sigh...) Of course not, it is just not the same anymore.

• #3,553
CVUovu3WIAE7igC.jpg

Likes Jonathan Scott
  • #3,554
Maybe we could followup the nostalgia exchange with one about Deja Vu?

• #3,555
lisab said:
If you drop a flatfish, will it land face-side up?
And if you go behind a flat fish's back, aren't you really going "under it's side?"

• #3,556
Did I just made a post on Deja Vu? I though I did...

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,557
zoobyshoe said:
And if you go behind a flat fish's back, aren't you really going "under it's side?"
The question I never got to was whether fish sleep. Sorry to derail your post.

• #3,558
I just saw a listing of this really sick-sounding channel on my line up : Children on Demand.
Turns out it is about TV shows for children. Still, they should really change that name.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #3,559
WWGD said:
The question I never got to was whether fish sleep. Sorry to derail your post.
I once saw a ceramic sculpture at an art show which consisted of a kind of mass of worms. The sculpture was entitled, "When trout dream."

• #3,560
A headline from the BBC news site this morning: "Hospitals fail to hit nurse targets". Well, that's a relief!

Likes lisab
  • #3,561
Speaking of Beethoven:
https://gma.yahoo.com/appraiser-describes-finding-beethoven-sketch-leaf-connecticut-home-202827229--abc-news-house-and-home.html

• #3,562
My order of 1000 LED's arrived this afternoon from Hong Kong. I tried a few out and they're very bright! I'm happy. It was something like $20.00, shipping included, so that's about 2 cents per LED.

• #3,563
I guessing those would be the white-bluish ones, about 6K temperature. needing about 3.5Vdc

• #3,564
LED failure rate = ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,566
I don't know when the hungry rats have lunch, is it 9:00AM,12:00PM or 3:00PM or 6:00PM. They seem to eat randomly and whatever. :smile:
How can I make a test to determine which one is hungrier than the other by throwing some potato chips (my father has a plant growing potatoes here) towards their caves or where the garbage bin is?

• #3,567
Twilight Zone marathon for new years' eve, including the more recent ones in color (which I actually like more than the older, black-and-white ones). Despite enjoying socializing, I have somehow turned into a loner , and a TV marathon and some good food, caffeine is like a small party. Should be fun, although I may have to decide between different programming marathons (I think there is also one on Burn Notice, but they seem to have those almost monthly): life is so hard!

• #3,568
WWGD said:
Despite enjoying socializing, I have somehow turned into a loner , and a TV marathon and some good food, caffeine is like a small party.
My life has cycled between being very social and very private. I usually feel I'd rather have company, but I get to the point where I have to be alone for extended periods to integrate changes made during "social" periods. The prospect of hours of good TV can be very appealing sometimes.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,569
zoobyshoe said:
My life has cycled between being very social and very private. I usually feel I'd rather have company, but I get to the point where I have to be alone for extended periods to integrate changes made during "social" periods. The prospect of hours of good TV can be very appealing sometimes.
Ditto. I still look forward to the day where you can watch whatever is available in a list of programs without having to pay high prices for " on demand" programming. And, of course, I hope for friends who can accommodate this need to be alone from time to time and/or for extended periods of time.

• #3,570
In Polish, so hardly readable for most of you, but it just hit the shelves here. Published by a small, but reasonably reputable publishing house.

odwlekane_porzadki.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Borg and lisab