Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
tell them they've reached Hannibal Lechter
Password is "Guess who's coming to Dinner"
And you'll be right over.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Password is "Guest"

I spent the night in a hotel that had been visited by Anthony Hopkins. :nb)
It was actually a very nice hotel. :smile:

Borg said:
I spent the night in a hotel that had been visited by Anthony Hopkins. :nb)
It was actually a very nice hotel. :smile:
It sounds like you're surprised he'd have stayed in a very nice hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Current temperature at the South Pole is -51F.
http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/antarctica/south-pole[/url/
And it's Summertime!

jim hardy said:
Password is "Guest"

This is getting spooky.
Two weeks ago I started reading 'Silence of the Lambs' and Lecter remarked in there that valentines was just next week.
Right now, I just put down 'Hannibal' and this post crops up.

zoobyshoe said:
It sounds like you're surprised he'd have stayed in a very nice hotel.
Bad phrasing on my part. :smile:

Astronuc said:
And now for something completely different -

Antarctica post office seeking job applicants who can dodge 'smelly penguins,' live without showering
http://news.yahoo.com/antarctica-post-office-job-port-lockroy-application-190236612.html
Many years ago I volunteered at the San Francisco Academy of Sciences Aquarium. A wealthy donor gave a huge monetary gift with the stipulation that a penguin display be built.

Can confirm, they are *awfully* smelly birds.

Likes Astronuc and Borg
Looking for a new car for my wife. I've emailed the same question to 4 different dealers and not one has answered the question that I asked. They either respond with boilerplate platitudes or answer a question that they made up. When I correct them, they respond with some new level of misunderstanding no matter how clearly I spell it out. It's interesting how stupid they can be until it's time to roll out how much they want to charge you. Only then do they understand every nuance of the process... :oldeyes:

I've read about viruses are that are closely related to the rabies's one. Some bats contain these viruses, sometimes transmitting it to humans and other animals. Unfortunately the rabies vaccines is ineffective against those viruses and death is as far as I know, unavoidable.

Likes lisab
fluidistic said:
I've read about viruses are that are closely related to the rabies's one. Some bats contain these viruses, sometimes transmitting it to humans and other animals. Unfortunately the rabies vaccines is ineffective against those viruses and death is as far as I know, unavoidable.
I haven't heard about this - as if rabies isn't scary enough!

I had a close call with rabies years ago. We had just adopted an adorable yellow Labrador puppy named Zoe. Now, before I tell this, please note that I'm all for vaccinations. For myself, my daughter, and my animals - I get them all. But you can't get your dog vaccinated against rabies until they're 6 months old.

Zoe's face started getting a bit wonky when she was about 4 months old. It's hard to describe, but the triangle between her mouth, eyes, and ears was kind of wrinkled in a strange way on one side. I took her to the vet. He wasn't sure what was going on but he thought it was an inflammation due to a tooth coming in. He said it would be OK, it just had to resolve on its own.

A few days later, she suddenly got worse. She could barely stand and her face was very wrinkled on both sides . Her front legs were suddenly stiff and she fell down a lot. I took her back to the vet, who just about freaked out when he saw her. He called that facial wrinkling a "sardonic grin". He examined her and said she had several symptoms which could indicate rabies! Bats carry rabies where I live. And so do raccoons, and sometimes skunks.

Long story short: she didn't make it :frown:, and the necropsy showed it was tetanus that got her, not rabies.

But I did a lot of research on rabies after the vet said we were possibly exposed. My conclusion: Holy. Living. Crap. You do not want rabies. Once symptoms show, it's fatal. Well not exactly - there are three known survivors. Not good odds.

This is a quite long random thought :biggrin:.

Likes Borg, fluidistic and Enigman
I've got a family of bats living in my bed room, hard to explain for me where exactly. Near the window inside the wall. I don't really notice when they leave at night but they come back at around 5:30 am to 6 am generally and they make high pitched sounds that's really annoying, leaving excrement under my window every day. I've got to clean that although I know that there diseases that could be transmitted through it, like the histoplasmosis. I don't know how to get rid of them and even if I could close their entrance I'm not sure I'd do it because I may leave a baby bat inside that's going to die and then I'd get the flies and the smell, etc.

fluidistic said:
I've got a family of bats living in my bed room, hard to explain for me where exactly. Near the window inside the wall. I don't really notice when they leave at night but they come back at around 5:30 am to 6 am generally and they make high pitched sounds that's really annoying, leaving excrement under my window every day. I've got to clean that although I know that there diseases that could be transmitted through it, like the histoplasmosis. I don't know how to get rid of them and even if I could close their entrance I'm not sure I'd do it because I may leave a baby bat inside that's going to die and then I'd get the flies and the smell, etc.
Hmmm. I have a quetion. Do you ever find yourself ruminating about taking justice into your own hands? Single-handed crime fighting wearing some sort of disguise?

Enigman said:
This is getting spooky.
Two weeks ago I started reading 'Silence of the Lambs' and Lecter remarked in there that valentines was just next week.
Right now, I just put down 'Hannibal' and this post crops up.
Relevant:
http://bbc.com/news/technology-31302312
...and relevant in two senses. It's about our sense of randomness and coincidence, and I read it the day before I read Enigman's comment.

zoobyshoe said:
Hmmm. I have a quetion. Do you ever find yourself ruminating about taking justice into your own hands? Single-handed crime fighting wearing some sort of disguise?
From the dark under-reaches of the place only known as the 'Living Room' rises a herald of Death itself, a force of nature, a fell vigilante frothing, http://r.fod4.com/s=w800,pd1/o=85/http://a.fod4.com/images/user_photos/1352817/f4b4cd2a3e4d940c271b3a95a5b2df69_original.jpg

I couldn't tell why the guy at the entrance of the subway was insulting everyone; he didn't seem crazy at first sight: "Asswipe, Asswipe,...". It turns out he was asking people to let him in, by giving him_ a swipe_, (one must swipe the card to be allowed in) but he was mumbling "can I have a swipe", and for some reason he was putting an emphasis on the last two words.

The other day I was shaving and like always I bleed. My friend who was passing by and saw me shaving said: "What the hell is wrong with all that blood?! You're bleeding!" The conversation went like this:

Me: "Um... Yes. That's normal."
Friend: "No. That's not normal! That's a lot of blood! Just look at you! Plus that's an expensive blade you are using, you shouldn't bleed. Is it new?"
Me: "Yes, it is new. This is the second use."
Friend: "What the..." *confused*

So I don't know. Maybe it's just impossible to shave without bleeding.

a3YenVv_700b_v1.jpg

Likes DennisN
You could go stand in the subway and solicit toilet paper from strangers to stop up the bleeding.

Psinter said:
The other day I was shaving and like always I bleed.
That's one of the reasons why I use modern electric razor to shave.

Erhm, I never bled back when I used a razor.
Now I switched to hair clippers and trim the stuff.

I did read the story and it read worse than a fan-fiction but...
tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg

My doctor is on vacation again! He's never around when I need him...:oldgrumpy:

February is very neat and tidy this year. 4 weeks exactly, starts on Sunday, ends on Saturday.

http://www.free-printable-calendar.net/February-2015.html

Likes collinsmark
Enigman said:
I need a new bed.

In keeping with the recent string of unrandom thoughts of the collective, I read this as "I need a new beard".

But I sympathize. I need a new couch and, like beds, there is no way to buy one based on online research. You have to actually sit or/and lay on it to determine if you like it. What a pain in the neck!

Likes bhobba and collinsmark
Ok Snowden, you're trying too hard. Assange's star of fame will always shine brighter.

There's an invention on Indiegogo called 'Flow' that allows honey to be harvested without opening the hive.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive#home

I think it's been on for a couple of days at most. It had 70k USD as the funding goal. Just now it's breaking 2 million in pledges. They got 15k just during the time it took me to read through the thing. :wideeyed:

I know next to nothing about bee keeping, but it looks like they solved some age-old problem since apparently every single bee keeper out there wants one of those.

That's a more impressive jackpot than all the facebooks, reddits and minecrafts taken together, I think.

Bandersnatch said:
...but it looks like they solved some age-old problem...
It's an artificial honeycomb. Normally you have to smoke the bees out to get in there and remove the whole honeycomb by hand, and then you have to somehow separate the honey from the wax, usually by heating past the melting point of the wax.

Thing about this method is you get no beeswax. That is usually worth something in it's own right, since it makes superior candles. The smoke from beeswax candles is light and unoffensive compared to paraffin smoke, which is smelly and sooty. But maybe it's not worth the time and cost for bee keepers.

I've seen a a beekeeper which used a rotating thingamajing to get the honey out of the honeycomb.

Now I wonder what angular velocity one needs to make that work since honey is quite viscous. At least the store bought can be.
I should write that down to find out.

I get excited very quick about such things.

JorisL said:
I've seen a a beekeeper which used a rotating thingamajing to get the honey out of the honeycomb.
That's a good idea. Maybe that's the way it's done nowadays. Somewhere in there they have to heat the honey to pasteurize it. Or maybe only large commercial operations are required to pasteurize. Someone pasteurizes it. I've read complaints from hippie types claiming this ruins the natural health benefits.

zoobyshoe said:
Maybe that's the way it's done nowadays

I am almost sure I have seen centrifuges dated 190x or 191x.

Borek said:
I am almost sure I have seen centrifuges dated 190x or 191x.
Do you recall what they were designed for?