Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,591
selfie-stick-ridiculous-looking-funny-ecard-XUh.png

:oldlaugh:

Likes Enigman
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,592
DiracPool said:
I'm a member of "Massage Envy" I'm not going to tell you the exact location because I don't want you to track me down...

http://www.massageenvy.com/clinics/WA/Tacoma.aspx

But I highly recommend getting a membership if there's one in your area. It's $59 a month for the membership. What you get is one 1-hour massage a month plus a discounted rate on another massage(s) and special pampering treatments like sugar footrubs, if that's your thing (and I like to be pampered :biggrin:).

At the clinic I go to, they got this girl named "jaqueline," She's the deep tissue mistress. I have an appointment with her on Thursday.

She doesn't F%^$ around. Get's straight to the point, whether you're ready for it or not. She does her thing, smacks you in the ass and throws a cooling pad at you as you're walking out the door. But you're glad to have it.

The main point is that I think it's really important to have a professional "human touch" in your life. And that specifically means NOT your girlfriend or spouse. It means an objective human caring (clinical) touch that is freed of any emotional entanglements. It's not a sexual thing, it's something else, something that I think the appreciation of may come with age and a little wisdom.

I love professional massages! Well and non-professional ones too. You're right, it's a good practice to include in the Care and Feeding of Your Body.

• #2,593
lisab said:
I love professional massages! Well and non-professional ones too. You're right, it's a good practice to include in the Care and Feeding of Your Body.
I thought people who gave massages were called massagynists. That clears up _a lot_ of confusing statements.

• #2,594
WWGD said:
I thought people who gave massages were called massagynists.

Well, let me give you fair warning, WWGD, you definitely don't want to "wax misogyny" around Jaqueline, she'll kick your ass :eek:

• #2,595
DiracPool said:
I don't know what to believe anymore Zoobs. You seemed so confident an hour ago just to have it all collapse.
Right? However, flashbacks to prior points in history are only metaphorical 'returns from the dead'. Not literal ones, as with Spock.

O.K., then. Anyway, the opening episode of season 2 was pretty darn good.

• #2,596
zoobyshoe said:
Right? However, flashbacks to prior points in history are only metaphorical 'returns from the dead'. Not literal ones, as with Spock.

O.K., then. Anyway, the opening episode of season 2 was pretty darn good.
I always wondered why that theme has become so common recently, all these moves about the living dead, vampires, etc., you know, the whole Twilight saga and so on. I find it kind of boring.

• #2,597
DiracPool said:
Well, let me give you fair warning, WWGD, you definitely don't want to "wax misogyny" around Jaqueline, she'll kick your ass :eek:
Sounds like my kind of massgynist. I may call her if I drop by Seattle.

• #2,598
WWGD said:
I always wondered why that theme has become so common recently, all these moves about the living dead, vampires, etc., you know, the whole Twilight saga and so on. I find it kind of boring.
Vampires have been really big since the publication of J. Sheridan Le Fanu's, Carmilla. Bram Stoker was actually riding on the coat tails of Le Fanu's success when he wrote Dracula. Carmilla was actually much more like todays vampires: she passed herself off as human really successfully, and worked by personal and erotic seduction.

Zombies are much more recent. Night of the Living Dead (1968) really creeped people out on some fundamental level, despite being low budget and not well made. But the real shot in the arm came from Michael Jackson's extended music video, Thriller. The people making zombie movies today grew up on that video.

• #2,599
zoobyshoe said:
Vampires have been really big since the publication of J. Sheridan Le Fanu's, Carmilla. Bram Stoker was actually riding on the coat tails of Le Fanu's success when he wrote Dracula. Carmilla was actually much more like todays vampires: she passed herself off as human really successfully, and worked by personal and erotic seduction.

Zombies are much more recent. Night of the Living Dead (1968) really creeped people out on some fundamental level, despite being low budget and not well made. But the real shot in the arm came from Michael Jackson's extended music video, Thriller. The people making zombie movies today grew up on that video.

Good points, I thought it had something vaguely to see with the fear of being buried alive that existed in the middle ages somehow. Makes sense since it is a relatively recent thing. Still, I think Voodoo takes it seriously.

• #2,600
WWGD said:
Good points, I thought it had something vaguely to see with the fear of being buried alive that existed in the middle ages somehow. Makes sense since it is a relatively recent thing. Still, I think Voodoo takes it seriously.
Before Night of the Living Dead there were a few voodoo zombie movies, but they weren't that popular. Voodoo zombies are people completely psychologically enslaved by people with the mojo to do it. The modern zombie is something else: corpses animated by some exotic virus. In Night of the Living Dead the cause of zombiism is not Voodoo, but some undetermined thing that can affect large numbers of people:
Experts, scientists, and the United States military fail to discover the cause, though one scientist suspects radioactive contamination from a space probe. It returned from Venus, and deliberately exploded in the Earth's atmosphere when the radiation was detected.
-Wiki
Most of the zombie films since have used that sort of device to explain the phenomenon: it's an outbreak of some undetermined nature.

In my opinion the popularity of zombie movies arises from the fact it's the only scenario where it's socially acceptable to kill mass numbers of human-like things with complete impunity. If you don't kill them, they will kill you, so anything goes. (See above clip.)

Likes WWGD
  • #2,601
A dream come true: Whole Foods has a brand name line selling quality bacon (no nitrites) at a reasonable cost. Now I need to figure out where to buy an industrial oven where I can cook 100's of packs at a time -- a microwave oven only cooks one at a time.

EDIT: Dont get me wrong, this is one of my indulgences; I exercise, try to get my fruits, vegetables regularly, but I like bacon too much to leave it. So I broil it to make it leaner.

Last edited:
  • #2,602
Tonight's lentil soup had what the French would describe as " a certain I don't know what".

• #2,603
  • #2,604
I won't buy anything from Whole Foods, Their "fresh produce" is full of gnats. The worst food ever. I thought maybe it was just my store, then I watched Top Chef and several times chefs lost because the seafood they bought at Whole Foods was rotting and they lost because the seafood was inedible.

• #2,605
I started putting parsley in my daily nutri-BLASTS!

https://www.nutribullet.com/

But you have to be careful, too much parsely gives it that weird parsley minty taste. So you have to be conservative. However, they play up the health benefits of parsley so much you feel inclined to overdo it, but don't fall for this.

I try to mix it up, but my current concoction in my fridge is organic Italian Kale, organic red chard, frozen blueberries, walnuts, non-organic cameo apple, non-organic parsley, and organic broccoli. You just blast the thing in the blender for 20 seconds and it tastes delicious. And cleanup is a SNAP! :woot:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,606
DiracPool said:
I started putting parsley in my daily nutri-BLASTS!

https://www.nutribullet.com/

But you have to be careful, too much parsely gives it that weird parsley minty taste. So you have to be conservative. However, they play up the health benefits of parsley so much you feel inclined to overdo it, but don't fall for this.

:woot:

So, Quinoa and Acai are not the solution to all of one's health problems anymore?

• #2,607
zoobyshoe said:
It could be I don't need to tell you this but, "je ne sais quois" is generally a good thing:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/je-ne-sais-quoi
This one was also a good one; never heard of it being used to describe a negative quality, but then again, I have only
heard of it/ seen it being used a few times.

• #2,608
You come from a town where
People don't bother saying hello
Unless somebody's born or dies

And I come from a place where they
Drag your hopes through the mud
Because their own dreams are all dying

Yeah< I'm that depressed!:oldbiggrin:

• #2,609
@Lisa! Watch a few movies - they always help. If all fails, go for Spongebob.

Likes Lisa!
  • #2,610
Cartoons always cheer me up when I'm feeling down.

• #2,611
I will meet you in the Next Life, I promise you
Where we can be together, I promise you
I will wait till then in Heaven, I promise you
I promise, I promise

There's so many fighting
To get past the Pearly Gates
But nobody ever wants to die or get saved

Their intentions aren't that good
And I can smell the asphalt
That's their personal road to hell being paved

And when we walk down the street
The wind sings our name in rebel songs
But it's much to late when the fear is gone
o0)

Likes Lisa!
  • #2,612
Lisa! said:
Yeah< I'm that depressed!:oldbiggrin:
Isn't there a mandatory joke now: oh, so you come from ...[enter city name]?

EDIT. Lisa! : I heard of this trick, I don't know if it works, but may be worth a try:
stare intently at a point anywhere for a few minutes. The idea is that the neurological
channels that relay input from your brain to your senses are the same as those relaying data
from the outside world to the brain, so that you cannot do both simultaneously, because the
channel can be used for one or the other, but not for both.
This means then that if you stare for a while, you cannot
receive/experience the depression. This is from NLP; I read about it a while back.

Last edited:
Likes nuuskur, Lisa! and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,613
nuuskur said:
No, it really isn't :/ With texlive you can do anything, with word you have to first google and find out whether what you want to do can be done in word in the first place ^^
Common, you know the amount of effort it took me to say something good about Minisoft or one of its products? You know how long I had to look?

• #2,614
My daughter makes a difference in kids lives.

Taking the time, teaching respect, giving confidence, makes a winner.
coach.jpg
respect.jpg
nice.jpg
winner.jpg

Likes PWiz, KiggenPig and lisab
  • #2,615
I have been working off and on for over a month putting a new top on a guitar. I got a cheap, mass produced guitar used at the swap meet for $10 to experiment on. The sound board was warped, but I figured I could slap a door-skin replacement on it without much trouble. Turns out I had to make all kinds of clamps, and I figured I'd better lacquer it, So, I have shelled out about $20 more. I am one of the few people I know who can sped $30 and several hours of work to turn a $10 guitar into a $15 guitar.

Likes lisab and collinsmark
  • #2,616
Kind of weird to see the main guy from "Burn Notice" staring in "Fargo".

• #2,617
zoobyshoe said:
I have been working off and on for over a month putting a new top on a guitar. I got a cheap, mass produced guitar used at the swap meet for $10 to experiment on. The sound board was warped, but I figured I could slap a door-skin replacement on it without much trouble. Turns out I had to make all kinds of clamps, and I figured I'd better lacquer it, So, I have shelled out about $20 more. I am one of the few people I know who can sped $30 and several hours of work to turn a $10 guitar into a $15 guitar.

But think of the skills you have squired:biggrin:

• #2,618
I've been putting in an average of 14 hours of practice a week on my (electric) guitar for almost 2 years now, but I still can't play those 16th notes at 240bpm. Kinda frustrating when sustained hard work doesn't pay off.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,619
Don't know why I did this: I was leaving a public bathroom at a coffee shop and saw someone walking in.
I told him: good luck!

Likes Borg, zoobyshoe and nuuskur
  • #2,620
Had some yogurt go bad. What does it turn into? Isn't Yogurt a form of spoiled cheese? How can
spoiled cheese become spoiled? I guess similar to the way cheese itself --spoiled milk-- may rot.

• #2,621
WWGD said:
Had some yogurt go bad. What does it turn into? Isn't Yogurt a form of spoiled cheese? How can
spoiled cheese become spoiled? I guess similar to the way cheese itself --spoiled milk-- may rot.
I dare you to eat it!

• #2,622
KiggenPig said:
I dare you to eat it!
Only if I can respond with a dare to you in return -- after I recover.

• #2,623
Challenge accepted --- only because midterms are tomorrow and next week. Perhaps I can have them deferred if I get sick enough!

• #2,624
KiggenPig said:
Challenge accepted --- only because midterms are tomorrow and next week. Perhaps I can have them deferred if I get sick enough!
Will you send some KGB thugs after me if you get too sick?

Likes nuuskur
  • #2,625
:DD I can't resist! But I like it...badly! You excite me, so please tell me when you want me to excite you back!