Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Silicon Waffle said:
It's a neat plan, actually. On one hand, everyone feels good, and on the other, everyone still gets the benefits as predefined and calculated in advance :biggrin:.
Resistance is futile, as it will be eliminated or suppressed easier with such a difference both online and offline. :DD
Symmetry ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking of wind gusts, Zoobie's not kidding. It's gusty all over the place here. Localized splotches of relative calm in between extremely formidable gusts. Windows have been rattling left and right, although everything is holding together presently.

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
collinsmark said:
Speaking of wind gusts, Zoobie's not kidding. It's gusty all over the place here. Localized splotches of relative calm in between extremely formidable gusts. Windows have been rattling left and right, although everything is holding together presently.
Were you expecting storm weather? In sunny SD?

WWGD said:
Were you expecting storm weather? In sunny SD?
It's rare, I'll give you that. But it does happen from time to time.

collinsmark said:
Sounds like fun if you ask me.

On the bright side you don't have to worry about Zika while the gusts last since it blows mosquitoes away.

Cons of having long hair on windy days:
windy.memes.3.jpg

collinsmark said:

Jumpin' Jehosifats!

Hang on down there!

Likes Silicon Waffle
1oldman2 said:
Symmetry ?
I was just joking for fun ! No it's asymmetry. :oldbiggrin:

When you see the rain, don't ever forget to remember me ! :partytime:

Likes 1oldman2
zoobyshoe said:
Incidentally, I found out the other day they have Starbucks in Russia. That surprised me.
Why?

Silicon Waffle said:
I was just joking for fun ! No it's asymmetry. :oldbiggrin:

When you see the rain, don't ever forget to remember me ! :partytime:
What I like best about that is it sounds like a line lifted straight from a John Prine song :cool:

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
Just heard a big, metallic crash. It looks like the wind ripped the rain gutter off the building across the street. I saw earlier it had started ripping shingles off its roof.
Now you can train your superhero skills and help with repairing things :-)

zoobyshoe said:
Incidentally, I found out the other day they have Starbucks in Russia. That surprised me.
I visited Berlin once. There's a Starbucks on the square where the Brandenburg gate stands. I can't now remember if it's actually in the former Soviet embassy or just next door.

Ibix said:
I visited Berlin once. There's a Starbucks on the square where the Brandenburg gate stands. I can't now remember if it's actually in the former Soviet embassy or just next door.
I've got a piece of Berlin Wall. But I was told it's not valuable because almost everyone has one. :frown:

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
I count on the google map and find there are 6 Starbucks in my city. People here I don't think prefer Starbucks to other local coffee stores. They, Starbucks inclusive, serve almost the same bitter tastes at similarly dear prices :biggrin:.

Silicon Waffle said:
I count on the google map and find there are 6 Starbucks in my city. People here I don't think prefer Starbucks to other local coffee stores. They, Starbucks inclusive, serve almost the same bitter tastes at similarly dear prices :biggrin:.
I counted and there are like EDIT: 22 at my place and they are all conglomerated on the capital and cities around it. It makes sense, only people with money would visit such a place.

Speaking of walls I wondered whether the United States has enough resources from tax-payers to build a wall to separate their country from Mexico and Canada. Like the Great Wall of China. Not that it has any use, I just wondered whether they have the resources, a random thought.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
An upcoming week with highs in the 50's. My kind of week.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
I counted and there are like EDIT: 22 at my place and they are all conglomerated on the capital and cities around it. It makes sense, only people with money would visit such a place.

Speaking of walls I wondered whether the United States has enough resources from tax-payers to build a wall to separate their country from Mexico and Canada. Like the Great Wall of China. Not that it has any use, I just wondered whether they have the resources, a random thought.

And the resources to put 22 Starbucki along the wall.

Likes Psinter and Sophia
WWGD said:
That way they can serve people from 3 countries at the borders.

Likes Psinter
But everyone has to sit at the table according to their country's colour. Canada is white, US is blue and Mexico is yellow.

Likes WWGD and Psinter
WWGD said:
Silicon Waffle said:
That way they can serve people from 3 countries at the borders.
You two are hired for the project.

People will wonder why the Wi-Fi is fire-walled... Yeah that was terrible, I know.

Likes Sophia
collinsmark said:
I slept all night but woke up again. It is still very windy! The wind chill factor is giving things an arctic nip. I was hoping all this would have cleared up over night, but no such luck.

Sophia said:
But everyone has to sit at the table according to their country's colour. Canada is white, US is blue and Mexico is yellow.
And China's color is...

BTW, talking about China, tomorrow is the Chinese new year, year of the Fire Monkey. Happy new year in case I don't post before tomorrow.

WWGD said:
And China's color is...

BTW, talking about China, tomorrow is the Chinese new year, year of the Fire Monkey. Happy new year in case I don't post before tomorrow.
Fire monkey? Sure it's going to be a funny year! :)
Any predictions?

zoobyshoe said:
I slept all night but woke up again. It is still very windy! The wind chill factor is giving things an arctic nip. I was hoping all this would have cleared up over night, but no such luck.
Strange thing. Here (est. ¼ around the globe) it's unusually windy, too.

fresh_42 said:
Hmmmm. Well, I hope it goes away. If I liked this kind of weather I'd have moved to Tierra Del Fuego.

fresh_42 said:
Hairy Ball Theorem (Nothing vulgar, this is the actual name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm researching tablets. There's this really cheap RCA tablet ($40). Now, you would think it's cheap due to not having any fancy features. Customer reviews, however, indicate that the battery and charging system is highly defective. You would think, rather than build up a bad reputation, RCA would take it off the market. But it's still being distributed and bought, presumably by unwary people who will not find out about the bad battery until about 3 months after they buy it.

Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
Hairy Ball Theorem (Nothing vulgar, this is the actual name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem)?
I see the English trivialization reads "you can't comb a hairy ball flat without creating a cowlick".
The German is better: "Du kannst den Igel nicht striegeln." (You cannot groom the hedgehog.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ibix
DiracPool said:
Why can't I find at least one photo of Frederick Douglass smiling? Can you guys find one for me?
I've tried. "Frederick Douglass smiling" gets you a little further, i.e. on some pictures there is a touch of a smile. However, at those times it wasn't usual to smile on portraits which were the pictures mainly taken. And then there is the most significant part of all: far too much hair!

fresh_42 said:
I've tried. "Frederick Douglass smiling" gets you a little further, i.e. on some pictures there is a touch of a smile. However, at those times it wasn't usual to smile on portraits which were the pictures mainly taken. And then there is the most significant part of all: far too much hair!
But maybe he's got a Hairy Ball Theorem-like result that prevents him from combing it.

fresh_42 said:
I've tried. "Frederick Douglass smiling" gets you a little further, i.e. on some pictures there is a touch of a smile. However, at those times it wasn't usual to smile on portraits which were the pictures mainly taken.
True, you look at today's portrait and you would believe humanity has conquered all of its problems, with the big smiles with teeth popping out, like a freshly-picked corn husk.

Ibix said:
I've been to another one there about a mile away just to give it a try. It's been expensive, senseless and instead of offering different tastes of coffee varying with their origins and roasting procedures, they serve different kinds of chemicals added to it.
Better to visit the Hard Rock Cafe in a case of homesickness.

Likes Sophia
I am now starting my sentences with " My life coach told me..." just to see how people react. Hopefully the reaction will be better than the one I got from " My psychiatrist ...". Wonder the reaction I would get from " My project manager told me ..."

fresh_42 said:
I've been to another one there about a mile away just to give it a try. It's been expensive, senseless and instead of offering different tastes of coffee varying with their origins and roasting procedures, they serve different kinds of chemicals added to it.
Better to visit the Hard Rock Cafe in a case of homesickness.
I went to another one several thousand miles away from it, just now, only to find it was closed today due to a power outage. I would have preferred a senseless Berliner Starbucks to one that was closed.