Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,016
fresh_42 said:
"Angular momentum during bremsstrahlung" sounds very, very, very weird in my ears. Why isn't it called deceleration radiation? Laziness?
As we all know, electromagnetic radiation is produced when charged particles undergo acceleration. (Stationary charged particles have electric fields; charged particles moving at a constant velocity have magnetic fields in addition; and accelerating charged particles produce electromagnetic radiation in addition to the those.)

Faster acceleration corresponds to higher energy (i.e., higher frequency) photons.

If you want to produce x-rays you accelerate electrons to high speeds in a vacuum and then smash them into a target (typically just a piece of metal). The initial acceleration involves a tad of electromagnetic radiation, but it's the sudden -- almost instantaneous -- deceleration that produces most of the x-rays, when the electrons smash against the target.

That's my guess as to why it's called bremsstrahlung (braking radiation). (But yeah, "deceleration radiation" works too.)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
Sophia said:
But I must admit that most Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants speak really well! Which is strange because I've heard from people living in Australia that their Chinese immigrants' English is not so good.
Lol - too simple?

• #1,018
collinsmark said:
That's my guess as to why it's called bremsstrahlung (braking radiation). (But yeah, "deceleration radiation" works too.)
I know what it is, I just ask why it has to be the German word for it. I find the 'eigen'-stuff has some rights because it's better than, e.g. proper.
But Bremsstrahlung or Ansatz in the middle of an English sentence looks and even more sounds weird to me.

• #1,019
fresh_42 said:
I know what it is, I just ask why it has to be the German word for it. I find the 'eigen'-stuff has some rights because it's better than, e.g. proper.
But Bremsstrahlung or Ansatz in the middle of an English sentence looks and even more sounds weird to me.
Oh, I understand now.

That's merely because the German word sounds more intimidating. "Bow down and cower in fear before my bremsstrahlung!" It helps to keep the undergrads on their toes.

• #1,020
collinsmark said:
That's merely because the German word sounds more intimidating. "Bow down and cower in fear before my bremsstrahlung!" It helps to keep the undergrads on their toes.
This is the method they teach math at schools over here. I have found terms in schoolbooks I haven't heard a single time in my studies or read in a real book.

• #1,021
WWGD said:
A handful of almonds, a double espresso and you will feel like singing :).
o_O I don't like coffee, but I suppose I could try some every now and then. Just not now because my stomach still pains.
WWGD said:
I've never seen that movie.

Guys, I have so many things to do right now that I have decided to take a nap... An 8 hour nap...

• #1,022
Psinter said:
o_O

I've never seen that movie.

Guys, I have so many things to do right now that I have decided to take a nap... An 8 hour nap...

Me neither, I had just heard about it and seemed like a fittingly bad joke. I could not come up with anything so I just did a web search -- a new form of (bad) comedy I invented.

Last edited:
  • #1,023
Where will I be when the Benadryl kicks in?

Likes Psinter and collinsmark
  • #1,024
Think, it is like you lend me your toy for a while, after everything is done and over, it will come back to you.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,025
Silicon Waffle said:
Think, it is like you lend me your toy for a while, after everything is done and over, it will come back to you.
I tried that line on a woman and I only got a slap in the face.

• #1,026
WWGD said:
And you had expected exactly what?

• #1,027
lisab said:
Where will I be when the Benadryl kicks in?
I also took one. Found myself in my bed.

If you are going to kidnap someone's daughter, make sure it is not Liam Nesson's daughter. If it is then I guess you can try following over the phone:
Silicon Waffle said:

Then prepare your testament. :nb)

Last edited:
  • #1,028
WWGD said:
lisab has a toy! :biggrin:. Let me guess, a rubber tank or a water gun. I think she'll be in bed after taking her meds.
Psinter said:
If you are going to kidnap someone's daughter, make sure it is not Liam Nesson's daughter. If it is then I guess you can try following over the phone:
Then prepare your testament. :nb)
Your example makes me a little sad. I am off for my genome sequence analysis now.

• #1,029
Silicon Waffle said:
Your example makes me a little sad. I am off for my genome sequence analysis now.
Well, knowing him, sad is the last thing those who kidnapped her daughter should be feeling.

I'm just joking around.

Talking about sad, this is sad:
cool-best-relationship-advice-person.jpg

I'm still waiting for another zooby story.

• #1,030
funny-wikipedia-mind-blown.jpg

Well, I tried that by starting at Global Warming and I did end up in Philosophy. The way it is made at this point in time, if you end up at Science, you will end up in philosophy.

Kinda makes me want to make a crawler to look how many articles chain and link to Philosophy. Then graph all paths.

• #1,031
Psinter said:
philosophy.

Kinda makes me want to make a crawler to look how many articles chain and link to Philosophy. Then graph all paths.

How do you do that?

• #1,032
Science links to philosophy are natural. Science is just a branch of empirical philosophy, even if scientists are reluctant to admit it :-)

Likes OCR, Psinter and fresh_42
  • #1,033
WWGD said:
How do you do that?
You could use any language, but the easiest and less hassle that comes to mind is Python. There are probably easier or more efficient languages for the task, but that one is the first that comes to my mind.
  • Get the HTML
  • Put the article name in a list
  • Parse the first link found in that article that is not within a parenthesis
  • Follow the link
  • Repeat
A PL with an already implemented doubly linked list would be better, but that can be implemented in Python or one could probably copy paste it from someone who already did. I feel a little lazy now, what do you say, shall we try it?

EDIT: Now PF members who are professors at universities will give this as homework to their students. :-p

• #1,034
Fascinating.

I tried it, starting with "doubly linked list." Here are the results:

doubly linked list
computer science
science
knowledge
awareness
consciousness
quality (philosophy)
property (philosophy)
modern philosophy
philosophy

Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #1,035
I started with a different language and on fiber bundles and then ran into a cycle with mathematics.
'Erkenntnis' (perception) was the closest I could get. But there is no English article on it. :-p

Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #1,036
collinsmark said:
Fascinating.

I tried it, starting with "doubly linked list." Here are the results:

doubly linked list
computer science
science
knowledge
awareness
consciousness
quality (philosophy)
property (philosophy)
modern philosophy
philosophy
Yup. That's how it rolls. :biggrin:

• #1,037
What's the English word describing a situation when after raining in winter all the water on the roads turned into ice so it's dangerous to walk on?

• #1,038
Sophia said:
What's the English word describing a situation when after raining in winter all the water on the roads turned into ice so it's dangerous to walk on?
slippery?

Likes Sophia
  • #1,039
Thank you, it is slippery but I was wondering if there is a special name for that kind of ice. We have two different words. One is normal ice and the another one that describes this kind of weather. There are warnings like : 'be careful, there is ? on the road!'

• #1,040
Sophia said:
Thank you, it is slippery but I was wondering if there is a special name for that kind of ice. We have two different words. One is normal ice and the another one that describes this kind of weather. There are warnings like : 'be careful, there is ? on the road!'

maybe ice sheet or icing layer? no idea

Likes Sophia
  • #1,041
Sophia said:

philosophy
.modern philosophy
..property
...quality
...consciousness
...awareness
...knowledge
...science
...natural science
...physics
...physical chemistry
...homogeneous
...glaze ice
....black ice <------- What I call it.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2, Psinter, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
  • #1,042
Sophia said:

Does freezing rain describe what you're hinting at?
I started from the word in my mothertongue and then checked the English version.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,043
JorisL said:
I started from the word in my mothertongue and then checked the English version.
Thank you. We also have a word for freezing rain . I think that OmCheeto's black ice is the right term :-)

• #1,044
Sophia said:
Freezing rain. (FZRA in METAR code)

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,045
JorisL said:
So did I. :smile:
Edit: TBH I expected the word would be the German one: Blitzeis. I mean if ' Blitzkrieg' isn't translated, so why not call FZRA blitzice? Always the ugly words ...

Last edited:
  • #1,047
fresh_42 said:
So did I. [emoji2]
Edit: TBH I expected the word would be the German one: Blitzeis. I mean if ' Blitzkrieg' isn't translated, so why not call FZRA blitzice? Always the ugly words ...
Adding Blitzeis to my German vocab list.
My favourite word I've learned yesterday is Kummerspeck - excessive fat gained by emotional eating :-) you know, one has to be able to describe himself :-)

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,048
Sophia said:
Adding Blitzeis to my German vocab list.
My favourite word I've learned yesterday is Kummerspeck - excessive fat gained by emotional eating :-) you know, one has to be able to describe himself :-)
I wouldn't define it as 'excessive'. :wink:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,049
I found a better method for collecting enough change for the washing machines: vending machines, but I must buy items whose decimal part is $.25 or less to make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Even better, some times putting in $1 in the machine and hitting the "return" button gives change without having to buy anything. But there seem to be fewer vending machines now than I remember seeing some 10 years ago.

Last edited:
  • #1,050
WWGD said:
I found a better method for collecting enough change for the washing machines: vending machines, but I must buy items whose decimal part is $.25 or less to make it worthwhile.
I would give you my two cents worth about this but I don't have change for a dollar. :oldtongue:

Likes WWGD and zoobyshoe