Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,506
zoobyshoe said:
Magnate of the Round Phalanges Ornimentations

Likes Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,507
zoobyshoe said:
Magnate of the Round Phalanges Ornimentations
Enunciate the caret of the bivalvic disjunction in its full ellipsis.

• #1,508
WWGD said:
Sorry, that should be :
Elucidate the caret of the bivalvic disjunction in its full ellipsis.

• #1,509
WWGD said:
I'm having a really hard time looking at the dictionary every time you write something. :confused: :biggrin:

You have two flavors for ice cream to choose: vanilla or chocolate. Which one do you choose? No need to answer. Obviously the chocolate one with chocolate toppings in a chocolate cone waffle and chocolate fudge. That's not even a question.

• #1,510
Psinter said:
I'm having a really hard time looking at the dictionary every time you write something. :confused: :biggrin:

You have two flavors for ice cream to choose: vanilla or chocolate. Which one do you choose? No need to answer. Obviously the chocolate one with chocolate toppings in a chocolate cone waffle and chocolate fudge. That's not even a question.
Sorry, this comment needed to use bizarre words. Will try to keep it simpler otherwise, or link to an explanation.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,511
WWGD said:
Sorry, this comment needed to use bizarre words. Will try to keep it simpler otherwise, or link to an explanation.
Thanks. :smile:

Bizarre sounds alright. But right now I'm in the mood for a pizzarre! :pizza:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,513
Speaking of the Lord of the Rings movies and The Hobbit movies (not to be confused with the books), I've always been somewhat of a fascinated observer of the then, up and coming New Zealand film industry.

In my recollection, films and television series made in New Zealand became big with American audiences back with Hercules and, of course, Zena, Warrior Princess.
latest?cb=20100710184059.jpg

(Image source: http://hercules-xena.wikia.com/wiki/Xena)

Peter Jackson, director of the Lord of the Rings movies and The Hobbit movies, was of course much younger at that time, but he was still in the thick of this budding film industry with such movies as Bad Taste.

Bad_taste_poster.jpg

(Image source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bad_taste_poster.jpg)

Oh, how I adore such movies. They bring back such good memories.

And they became quite good at that certain sort of mystique. One movie that comes to mind is Black Sheep, a story about zombie (or at least zombie-like) sheep:
51GSPWjiBfL.jpg

(Image source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TJ6PB0/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

Eventually, as we now know, the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies established the New Zealand film industries as very capable. They came a long way from lower-budget TV drama and knee-slapping horror to high-budget, world-wide block-busters.

Now when I see Spartacus, while not wholly New Zealand in its production (it's more of a hybrid American + New Zealand thing with actors speaking in some sort of odd, pseudo-Shakespearean dialect), I cannot miss the unmistakable New Zealand film industry influence on it. It's definitely worth checking out.
SPS3_04.jpg

(Image source: http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus/photos)

On a more serious note, if I want a good chuckle about serious matters, I tend to catch some New Zealand Parliament.
http://www.inthehouse.co.nz/
Some of those house members have as good of sense of humor as they do dedication to serious issues. I think elected officials in other countries could find it useful to follow their lead in that respect.
(I think it was @StevieTNZ that got me hooked on that.)

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle, Sophia and Psinter
  • #1,514
collinsmark said:
On a more serious note, if I want a good chuckle about serious matters, I tend to catch some New Zealand Parliament.
http://www.inthehouse.co.nz/
Some of those house members have as good of sense of humor as they do dedication to serious issues. I think elected officials in other countries could find it useful to follow their lead in that respect.
(I think it was @StevieTNZ that got me hooked on that.)
I don't understand what they are talking about, but they do seem like funny people. :smile:

• #1,515
Psinter said:
I don't understand what they are talking about, but they do seem like funny people. :smile:

Here's one from MP Maurice Williamson back in 2013 that made lots of rounds on the Internet.

Most days are not nearly that funny and eloquent. But still, most times I watch I'll catch a good zinger or two within ten to twenty minutes or so. It might be about something as mundane as a project delay due to substandard concrete formula that might have otherwise potentially, maybe, caused a risk of a minor landslide, and hearing, "Well I'll tell you about a landslide last September 20th!" (referring to the then most recent elections, September 20th, 2014). Every once in awhile there's a zinger or two like that.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,516
collinsmark said:
Here's one from MP Maurice Williamson back in 2013 that made lots of rounds on the Internet.

Most days are not nearly that funny and eloquent. But still, most times I watch I'll catch a good zinger or two within ten to twenty minutes or so. It might be about something as mundane as a project delay due to substandard concrete formula that might have otherwise potentially, maybe, caused a risk of a minor landslide, and hearing, "Well I'll tell you about a landslide last September 20th!" (referring to the then most recent elections, September 20th, 2014). Every once in awhile there's a zinger or two like that.

Hehehe. I like it. :smile:

A random thought: That awkward moment when Super Markets at my place try to sell you 5 oranges for $5 USD when I can buy 100 fresh oranges for $5 USD from street sellers and at most $15 USD depending on the town you are. If you know where to find them of course. Usually old people know where to find them. (Old people appear to know each other)

Just don't buy them if you can't consume them all, it will be a pity to waste them just because you were greedy and couldn't consume them.

• #1,518
WWGD said:
... if it is not fully under sea
In which case Sate will be made from octopus with lemongrass of its garden under the sea.

• #1,519
fresh_42 said:
In which case Sate will be made from octopus with lemongrass of its garden under the sea.
And that is the optimistic view...

• #1,520
zoobyshoe said:
Here's a more ancient version of the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

Thanks, unfortunately there is no sound in my computer, hasn't been in a long time. I just remembered the link I posted.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,521
WWGD said:
Thanks, unfortunately there is no sound in my computer, hasn't been in a long time. I just remembered the link I posted.
:nb) please add sounds to it.

• #1,522
Silicon Waffle said:
:nb) please add sounds to it.
It's windows system, just no way of making sound come out, after checking all possibilities.

• #1,523
I know there is an automatic censorship here that deletes some especially unpleasant words. (At least as far as I remember, since I once lost a word which wasn't a bad word in my context but on itself. I have forgotten the word and context as well. I just found it funny.)

Now: Why aren't the real bad, mean and evil curse words forbidden? Words like:
Bohemian, simultaneous, duality, FLT, SUSY, new, virtual, fluctuation, locality, event horizon

• #1,525
WWGD said:
It's windows system, just no way of making sound come out, after checking all possibilities.
Oh no...
Watch this @ 12:12. His advice is try blowing on it!

Last edited:
  • #1,526
WWGD said:
If you're really interested in watching a video (not that you would be really interested in watching the one I posted, but some hypothetical one) can't you watch it on your phone?

• #1,527
zoobyshoe said:
If you're really interested in watching a video (not that you would be really interested in watching the one I posted, but some hypothetical one) can't you watch it on your phone?
I have a $10 dumb phone, unfortunately; will have to wait for a bonus at work to scale up.

• #1,528
WWGD said:
I have a $10 dumb phone, unfortunately; will have to wait for a bonus at work to scale up.
Hehe. I beat you: I got my phone on sale for $5. Normally they're $15.99, but I guess they weren't moving even at that price.

• #1,529
zoobyshoe said:
Hehe. I beat you: I got my phone on sale for $5. Normally they're $15.99, but I guess they weren't moving even at that price.
I'll be checking out for a $4.99 phone on the flea markets...

• #1,530
WWGD said:

zoobyshoe said:

WWGD said:
I'll be checking out for a $4.99 phone on the flea markets...

Halleluja! I'm not the only person on the planet who thinks a phone has to receive and make phone-calls - fullstop.

• #1,531
fresh_42 said:
Halleluja! I'm not the only person on the planet who thinks a phone has to receive and make phone-calls - fullstop.
It's more of a matter of being able to pay for it. It is a useful tool in many respects; e.g., if you end up lost in the middle of nowhere.
Also, since I work at what is considered a technology job, it does not look good that I don't keep up with some recent technology.

• #1,532
I got this message when trying to access PF in the morning:

500 server error...

Then a message stating the servers in the site are proudly run by company x...

• #1,533
Yes the server was down for a while, there's another thread about it somewhere, and some mention of hackers was made.
Afaik everything is sorted out now, but strange that PF might be targeted by hackers, I mean why would anyone want to?

• #1,534
rootone said:
Yes the server was down for a while, there's another thread about it somewhere, and some mention of hackers was made.
Afaik everything is sorted out now, but strange that PF might be targeted by hackers, I mean why would anyone want to?
My point was that the company was announcing its pride next to a statement attesting to an error it just made.

• #1,535
The company most probably is just a server farm or an agent for one, not itself responsible for traffic going to or from a particular site which they host.

• #1,536
WWGD said:
My point was that the company was announcing its pride next to a statement attesting to an error it just made.
Yes, that was a good one. I laughed, too. The more because the server as a machine was up!

Edit: Btw, what's the intersection of NYC and the middle of nowhere and the complement of cabs?

• #1,537
WWGD said:
I got this message when trying to access PF in the morning:

500 server error...

Then a message stating the servers in the site are proudly run by company x...
rootone said:
I am very sorry guys, but I have to correct. I saw the error and the server is not run by company x. Just the software that generated the error. And there was no mention of hackers anywhere. It's all here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-down-for-a-long-time-what-happened.859584

AND I want some chocolate if you don't mind.

• #1,538
fresh_42 said:
Edit: Btw, what's the intersection of NYC and the middle of nowhere and the complement of cabs?

?

• #1,539
WWGD said:
?
NYC is written on your missing avatar, middle of nowhere is where you feared to be without internet and cabs must not be around because they could help you to get away from nowhere. I'm just wondering where such a place could be.

• #1,540
fresh_42 said:
NYC is written on your missing avatar, middle of nowhere is where you feared to be without internet and cabs must not be around because they could help you to get away from nowhere. I'm just wondering where such a place could be.

Maybe Staten Island? And I may travel out at some point, outside of the city.

Last edited: