What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,061
WWGD said:
Just beam us up with a Martini, either shaken, stirred or both?
An innovative combination of transporter and replicater technology, to be sure.

Martini, Earl Grey, Hot.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,062
Ibix said:
Martini, Earl Grey, Hot.
Computer! I need three catch phrases and a blender!

Likes WWGD
  • #4,063
Ibix said:
An innovative combination of transporter and replicater technology, to be sure.

Martini, Earl Grey, Hot.
My API will not handle that. Need special protocol for Tea and Martini (Mar(Tea)ni)?

Likes Ibix
  • #4,064
WWGD said:
My API will not handle that. Need special protocol for Tea and Martini (Mar(Tea)ni)?
Sounds like a marketing niche for a bottled drink. LiptonIce Marteani?

Likes WWGD
  • #4,065
Ibix said:
Sounds like a marketing niche for a bottled drink. LiptonIce Marteani?
Sounds at least as it was made for the European market. Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states, I've been told you can't get Mon Chéri there.

• #4,066
fresh_42 said:
Sounds at least as it was made for the European market. Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states, I've been told you can't get Mon Chéri there.
Maybe one needs a liquor license, which I heard is expensive. Do you need them in Europe too?

• #4,067
fresh_42 said:
Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states
They've hidden the alcohol in their commercial beers. I certainly never noticed any.

Some microbrews, however...

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,068
WWGD said:
Maybe one needs a liquor license, which I heard is expensive. Do you need them in Europe too?
Not that I knew of. I can buy Lagavullin in the same store I buy coke, beer or water.

• #4,069
fresh_42 said:
Not that I knew of. I can buy Lagavullin in the same store I buy coke, beer or water.
I bought Roller Blades, Rat Poison and a Spare Bicycle Tire in one of the big new chain stores ( I think it was CVS ).

• #4,070
At least you can have liquors in basically any supermarket. They aren't allowed to sell it to people younger than 18, but that's all.

• #4,071
fresh_42 said:
At least you can have liquors in basically any supermarket. They aren't allowed to sell it to people younger than 18, but that's all.
I guess that comes with the corresponding 15-17 year-olds standing outside and asking you to buy some for them?

• #4,072
Not so much as in American movies / shows. They usually know small shops which don't really care or find an eighteen year old to do it. The favorite drinks are those Red Bull mixtures, Coke with Whiskey and similar drinks which hide the alcohol. Not sure in which category they fall, but considering the occasional public discussions and the relatively low overall alcohol, I assume those drinks are no problems.

It's all in all far more relaxed here. I mean I was - I think 40 - as I had been refused to enter an American music bar without ID card, which I hadn't with me on purpose (so it could not have been stolen). This was simply ridiculous.

• #4,073
I guess I acted like the nerd I saw in other people by pointing out unnecessary detail , re the old line " A set is not like a door: either open or closed...".
I said (along the lines) : Actually, a door can have more accurately, three states: open, closed and locked: a door may be closed but not locked. Great point, very enlightening on my part (right) \sarc

• #4,074
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/business/china-tariffs-trump.html
Chinese Goods May Face 25% Tariffs, Not 10%, as Trump’s Anger Grows

WASHINGTON — President Trump escalated his trade war with China on Wednesday, ordering his administration to consider more than doubling proposed tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to 25 percent from 10 percent, as talks between Washington and Beijing remain at a standstill.

Mr. Trump instructed the United States trade representative to look into increasing tariffs on Chinese imports like fish, petroleum, chemicals, handbags and other goods to 25 percent, a significant step in a dispute that is beginning to take a toll on industries and consumers in both countries. A final decision on the size and scope of the tariffs is not expected before September.

The effort to further punish China is being led by hard-line advisers to Mr. Trump, who believe inflicting painful measures on Beijing is the best way to force it back to the negotiating table on trade. But that approach is once again creating fissures within Mr. Trump’s own team, with his Treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, adamantly opposed to ratcheting up the tariffs and Peter Navarro, a key trade adviser, advocating the higher duties, people with knowledge of the discussions said. Stephen K. Bannon, who left the White House last August, has also been counseling the president to pursue tougher tariffs, according to people familiar with his thinking.

The potential for a 25 percent tax is being fueled by deep frustration within the Trump administration over its unsuccessful attempts to press China to change its trade practices, as well as by a sharp decline in the value of China’s currency. Administration officials have also been concerned that China may be manipulating prices of commodities like soybeans to harm American farmers, and hurting American companies through regulatory practices — for example, detaining shipments of agricultural products in customs until they rot.
Anyone think this will happen?

I was listening to a debate between Robert Reich and Trump's economic adviser Stephen Moore last week (can be found on YouTube - pretty cool chat/debate). Moore said something interesting in it. He said Trump's train of thought on a trade war with the likes of a China is that the U.S.' position is the strongest and the other countries need us more than we need them. In other words, their economies require more of our goods and services than we do of theirs to function and grow. He felt that the first person to blink would be other nations.

In any case, even if that is true (not saying it is), certain industries might take a pounding in the short-run.

Last edited:
  • #4,075
kyphysics said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/business/china-tariffs-trump.html
Chinese Goods May Face 25% Tariffs, Not 10%, as Trump’s Anger GrowsAnyone think this will happen?

I was listening to a debate between Robert Reich and Trump's economic adviser Stephen Moore last week (can be found on YouTube - pretty cool chat/debate). Moore said something interesting in it. He said Trump's train of thought on a trade war with the likes of a China is that the U.S.' position is the strongest and the other countries need us more than we need them. In other words, their economies require more of our goods and services than we do of theirs to function and grow. He felt that the first person to blink would be other nations.

In any case, even if that is true (not saying it is), certain industries might take a pounding in the short-run.

There is also the fact that other countries may try to find suppliers who may choose to negotiate rather than start a trade war. Exports are only around 20% of Chinese GNP AFAIK, so , while it may hurt, the pain is likely bearable.

• #4,076
No politics, please. This is a door which can hardly be closed again. Not to mention locked.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,077
WWGD said:
There is also the fact that other countries may try to find suppliers who may choose to negotiate rather than start a trade war. Exports are only around 20% of Chinese GNP AFAIK, so , while it may hurt, the pain is likely bearable.
Yeah, maybe on the "top end" services, there aren't any alternative suppliers (at least none that come close to U.S. expertise), though. I'm not sure.

fresh_42 said:
No politics, please. This is a door which can hardly be closed again. Not to mention locked.

Hey, fresh

Was that in reference to my post about the tariffs? If so, I was thinking it would be more in the realm of economics or world affairs than politics. Nonetheless, if you're saying it's off limits too, then I'll stop after this post.

• #4,078
skyshrimp said:
It's strange how we go to such great lengths to find life on other planets by looking for bodies of water, yet destroy our own ocean ecosystems by ruthlessly bottom trawling and dumping plastic waste into it.
Yeah. Almost like we are looking for an exit strategy.

• #4,079
Mark44 said:
Yes, very remarkable. The chorus makes me think of the oldie, "Counting Flowers on the Wall," by the Statler Brothers, from back in 1966.

The little girl seems to really get into her playing, dancing around, with a lot of flourishes. Great tune!

Knowing how hard it is to play a violin, from those who've tried; no frets and all, she blew my mind. :bow:

• #4,081
OCR said:
Her name is Karolina Protsenko...
Thanks. I've been trying to figure her name to see if she has other music vids.
OCR said:
I'm pretty sure this is the one you posted...
Yes it is. Looks like it's been edited to zoom in more, but the same performance.
OCR said:
This is the one Karolina posted three days ago...
Same tune, different performance. I've only listened/viewed this one where she makes here violin "talk": .
That takes some real talent. Makes me think, "The world has hope", ... but I am old. Thanks for sharing.

• #4,082
It's hot here in London. Not that hot, but 31c. I like to put a thick wedge of watermelon in the freezer for an hour. It gives it a nice sorbet consistency with a thin, icy shell. So refreshing.

It's the giant Moroccan watermelon that gets imported at this time of year. Super sweet. I have no idea how all the local shops can sell it for only 79p a kilo and make a profit.

• #4,083
skyshrimp said:
It's hot here in London. Not that hot, but 31c. I like to put a thick wedge of watermelon in the freezer for an hour. It gives it a nice sorbet consistency with a thin, icy shell. So refreshing.
Good idea.
It's the giant Moroccan watermelon that gets imported at this time of year. Super sweet. I have no idea how all the local shops can sell it for only 79p a kilo and make a profit.
Because the real price for water in Morocco is calculated as zero.

• #4,084
skyshrimp said:
It's the giant Moroccan watermelon that gets imported at this time of year. Super sweet.
Quick story. My grandfather hauled ice to customers iceboxes from the age of 14 till he hung up his ice hooks at age 65. This was in Arkansas USA where it's hot and humid in the summers. The ice plant he worked for sold ice cold watermelon and he would always have one on ice in his outside cooler. The variety he brought home was the Black Diamond. Very sweet.
There are two types; red and yellow meat.
nonhybrid-blackdiamondwatermelon.jpg

Attachments

• nonhybrid-blackdiamondwatermelon.jpg
    nonhybrid-blackdiamondwatermelon.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 309
Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,085
dlgoff said:
My grandfather hauled ice to customers iceboxes from the age of 14 till he hung up his ice hooks at age 65
How quickly things change fascinates me. I think of electric fridges as things that all homes have, but your grandfather delivered ice. I think of indoor plumbing as standard, but there are rows and rows of houses near me that have indoor toilets only as a refit.

I was watching a video on YouTube with my son, and he asked me if I watched videos on YouTube with my daddy when I was little. I don't think he could quite grasp the notion that computers couldn't do that back in the day...

Likes dlgoff
  • #4,086
Ibix said:
How quickly things change fascinates me. I think of electric fridges as things that all homes have, but your grandfather delivered ice. I think of indoor plumbing as standard, but there are rows and rows of houses near me that have indoor toilets only as a refit.

I was watching a video on YouTube with my son, and he asked me if I watched videos on YouTube with my daddy when I was little. I don't think he could quite grasp the notion that computers couldn't do that back in the day...
And there is the flip side of older "Where can I buy an internet, one of the latest model? " (An exaggeration, but not by much) . Or the one catching a taxi :"Take me to the Internet, quick".

• #4,087
WWGD said:
And there is the flip side of older "Where can I buy an internet, one of the latest model? " (An exaggeration, but not by much) . Or the one catching a taxi :"Take me to the Internet, quick".
I remember a headline from the 90's: "Housewife in Massachusetts Downloaded the Internet!"

Ibix said:
I don't think he could quite grasp the notion that computers couldn't do that back in the day...
I sometimes have to think: "What would have Grandma said, if I had told her what I'm doing here", especially whom I talk to as if it was my neighbor.

• #4,088
fresh_42 said:
I sometimes have to think: "What would have Grandma said, if I had told her what I'm doing here", especially whom I talk to as if it was my neighbor.
Oddly, I think "chatting about maths/physics/whatever" is perfectly understandable. It's the "here" that's problematic, because we aren't anywhere in particular.

On the other hand, if you don't get into the technical details, the only thing we're doing that's different from debating in the letters page of some journal is the speed with which we can do it.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,089
Ibix said:
It's the "here" that's problematic, because we aren't anywhere in particular.
Yes, that's what she probably couldn't have believed.
"Oh Grandma, it was late last night."
"Why? What were you doing?"
"Oh, I talked about math with someone from Down Under to whom it was at day. And before we were finished, this guy from Portland joined the debate."
"?"

I even note it with my parents. Mom: "The internet doesn't work!" Me: "Telephone line, Router, WLAN, PC, Windows, Browser or Site Content?" - "?"

• #4,090
fresh_42 said:
I even note it with my parents.
Fortunately I was able to introduced my dad to my first PC; with the 80286 processor. He was amazed as much as me. If he were alive today, I don't think he could handle technology. And he even worked for DuPont.

• #4,091
Just in case anybody asks himself whether the red sofa still travels: Just heard on the radio that it has be seen on a highway here.

• #4,092
fresh_42 said:
Just in case anybody asks himself whether the red sofa still travels: Just heard on the radio that it has be seen on a highway here.
...what?

Likes BillTre
  • #4,093
fresh_42 said:
Lay off the exotic mushrooms, Fresh. :).

• #4,094
Ibix said:
...what?
"There!" said Ford, shooting out his arm; "there, behind that sofa!"
Arthur looked. Much to his surprise, there was a velvet paisley-covered Chesterfield sofa in the field in front of them. He boggled intelligently at it. Shrewd questions sprang into his mind.
"Why," he said, "is there a sofa in that field?"
"I told you!" shouted Ford, leaping to his feet. "Eddies in the space-time continuum!"
"And this is his sofa, is it?"
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/950420-i-have-detected-he-said-disturbances-in-the-wash

After 4 years of being stranded on prehistoric Earth , Arthur Dent is met by his old friend Ford Prefect, who drags him into a space-time eddy, represented by an anachronistic chesterfield sofa. The two end up at Lord's Cricket Ground two days before the Earth's destruction by the Vogons. Shortly after they arrive, a squad of robots land in a spaceship in the middle of the field and attack the assembled crowd, stealing The Ashes before departing. Another spaceship, the Starship Bistromath, arrives, with Slartibartfast at the helm, who discovers he is too late and requests Arthur and Ford's help.
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Life,_the_Universe_and_Everything

“Arthur felt happy. He was terribly pleased that the day was for once working out so much according to plan. Only twenty minutes ago he had decided he would go mad, and now here he was already chasing a Chesterfield sofa across the fields of prehistoric Earth.”
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/385444-arthur-felt-happy-he-was-terribly-pleased-that-the-day

• #4,095
Had you said "Chesterfield", I'd have got it. And Paisley is a pattern, not a uniform red. But HHGttG is an excellent reference.