What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
WWGD said:
They claim the word "paying" in "paying attention" is used because the process of attending uses up resources ( so one must pay with resources). But why, then, is the word "pay" or equivalent not used in all languages?
It's cheaper here. Unfortunately there is no good English word for "handover a present" so I can't translate it. In a sense, it is also an act of paying something, we just skip the buying process before we give it away for free.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
It's cheaper here. Unfortunately there is no good English word for "handover a present" so I can't translate it. In a sense, it is also an act of paying something, we just skip the buying process before we give it away for free.
Germans are more attentive/ focused?
 
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/388584/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-pay-attention
upload_2018-3-8_17-40-25.png


old jim
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-3-8_17-40-25.png
    upload_2018-3-8_17-40-25.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 872
pay (v.)

c. 1200, "to appease, pacify, satisfy," from Old French paier "to pay, pay up" (12c., Modern French payer), from Latin pacare "to please, pacify, satisfy" (in Medieval Latin especially "satisfy a creditor"), literally "make peaceful," from pax (genitive pacis) "peace" (see peace).Paid; paying.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/pay (Douglas Harper)
 
fresh_42 said:
Before or after ADHS has been invented?
IDK. "Blondes have more Fun" sounds better than " Germans pay more Attention". ( And I guess German Blondes pay more Attention _and_ have more fun".
 
WWGD said:
IDK. "Blondes have more Fun" sounds better than " Germans pay more Attention". ( And I guess German Blondes pay more Attention _and_ have more fun".
We don't pay for attention, we give it as a present (Aufmerksamkeit schenken). But as said, there is no English word for schenken, only more or less bad substitutions as give or present which mean something completely different in the first place. Schenken is something you do with a birthday present for somebody else.
 
fresh_42 said:
We don't pay for attention, we give it as a present (Aufmerksamkeit schenken). But as said, there is no English word for schenken, only more or less bad substitutions as give or present which mean something completely different in the first place. Schenken is something you do with a birthday present for somebody else.
But you're not answering my question: " Do German Blondes have more fun ( while giving you attention)"?
 
Don't shanken too much attention, I am monkeying around.
 
WWGD said:
But you're not answering my question: " Do German Blondes have more fun ( while giving you attention)"?
While giving me attention? Of course, natürlich, bien sure, naturalmente! However, I'm not a fan of Blondes. Do you know the yellow strip between the lanes on a country road? That's my list of bad experiences with Blondes. So, maybe they have more fun, but I don't hope so.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
While giving me attention? Of course, natürlich, bien sure, naturalmente! However, I'm not a fan of Blondes. Do you know the yellow strip between the lanes on a country road? That's my list of bad experiences with Blondes. So, maybe they have more fun, but I don't hope so.
And now they have the Starbuchs' Blondes too ( Yellow beans). I have not tried them yet.
 
WWGD said:
And now they have the Starbuchs' Blondes too. I have not tried them yet.
They call a cold beer in a glas a cool Blonde over here. Strange, all of a sudden I have to think about "12 reasons why a beer is better ..."
 
fresh_42 said:
They call a cold beer in a glas a cool Blonde over here. Strange, all of a sudden I have to think about "12 reasons why a beer is better ..."
I was always curious why people drink iced bear in Winter
 
Why do I get such a weird buzz when I drink Iced coffee? The buzz from hot espresso is much more straightforward.
 
WWGD said:
I was always curious why people drink iced bear in Winter
Did you ever try to drink a bear that has warmed up his muscles before? I can't imagine this to be a good idea. And they don't really sleep in winter, it's more a sort of a rest.
 
fresh_42 said:
Did you ever try to drink a bear that has warmed up his muscles before? I can't imagine this to be a good idea. And they don't really sleep in winter, it's more a sort of a rest.
That's part of the weird buzz: thinking about bears instead of beers. Typical ;).
 
WWGD said:
That's part of the weird buzz: thinking about bears instead of beers. Typical ;).
Look for the beer necessities
The simple beer necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the beer necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the beer necessities of life
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I have to admit I have my biases. I was surprised to see burly construction workers at the lunch place having no-meat salads and one even a Kale shake.If they start talking about (s)Astrology, and asking each other their sign, I will flip, though.
 
WWGD said:
Still, it does seem to wear one out. After paying attention, focusing, I feel drained; I imagine/assume most do.
Yeah, ... attending payment is more fun.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, ... attending payment is more fun.
And incoming payment is even bettererer.
 
Another triple-syllable repeat, from the papers:

Percoco convicted (co co co ) Maybe Malala lamented ( la la la) . EDIT: See my previous too, for another triple ( er er er).
 
Last edited:
I had a bad experience today. I was commuting to work on the bus. It went down the road where the former KGB agent, Nikolai Glushkov was murdered this week. You could see the blue police tents outside and the BBC filming everything. The trouble was, I had a very, very bad stomach and felt bloated. My flatulence was so bad it could strip the paint off a car in minutes.

I was siting on the top deck and opened a window. Luckily, the top deck had very few commuters, but then an army of 11 yr old school girls boarded and filled the top deck, talking loudly. My stomach was making loud bubbling sounds and I was trying desperately not to let another one rip. My stop was a good 6 stops away before I had to alight and I didn't want to drop this bomb. The girls would immediately know it was me and I didn't want the ensuing heat. I had to think fast. I opted to go downstairs and stealthily 'crop dust' the top deck on my way down like Solid Snake. I got up and realized I had a very upset stomach and needed the bathroom ASAP. I quickly sat back down in a panic. I had to catch another bus after this one and was already running late. The only viable option was the local MacDonalds, but I just can't stand public loos. The built up of gas made it even worse. I was a ticking time bomb.

I held it together and made it to work but couldn't start my shift for a good 45 minutes for obvious reasons.

So today I learned NOT to try prune juice for the first time before commuting.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Borg said:
shrimp and prune juice - not a good combination. :nb)
Similar here. The restaurants " Taco Tuesday" turned into my " Bathroom Wednesday".
 
I don't know why the only weekday used as a name ( that I am aware off ) is Sunday: "Domingo/Domenico"(Spanish/Italian). I would have thought that Friday would be the most popular day overall ( Save Robinson Crusoe). Still, I have seen cases of people named " January" , even " February", when the most popular month-names are April, June, May -- I assume most prefer Spring over Winter.
 
WWGD said:
Similar here. The restaurants " Taco Tuesday" turned into my " Bathroom Wednesday".
You should try a "Marquee Friday" followed by a "Bedroom Weekend". Only risk is, this could easily end in a nightmarish spring and summer.
WWGD said:
I don't know why the only weekday used as a name ( that I am aware off ) is Sunday: "Domingo/Domenico"(Spanish/Italian). I would have thought that Friday would be the most popular day overall ( Save Robinson Crusoe). Still, I have seen cases of people named " January" , even " February", when the most popular month-names are April, June, May -- I assume most prefer Spring over Winter.
Does he count: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_Freitag ? Although I like the writing Freytag more. It's somehow more honest.
 
fresh_42 said:
You should try a "Marquee Friday" followed by a "Bedroom Weekend". Only risk is, this could easily end in a nightmarish spring and summer.

Does he count: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_Freitag ? Although I like the writing Freytag more. It's somehow more honest.
But isn't Freytag the last name? I was referring to the use as a first name.
 
WWGD said:
But isn't Freytag the last name? I was referring to the use as a first name.
Well, we still have Freya, don't we?
 
fresh_42 said:
Well, we still have Freya, don't we?
After Thursdiya?