New papers on randomness and QM, need insight please

In summary, the first paper argues that the apparent randomness in the quantum world is based on the complexity of the environment, and that there is no underlying hidden determinism. The second paper argues that time does not exist at the quantum level, and the third paper argues that many folks believe there is an underlying nonlocal explanation for the apparent randomness in the quantum world, but that there is not a scintilla of evidence to point to an underlying hidden determinism.
Adrian Lee
Hi,new college guy here,previewing next year's work.
Been seeing these articles,written by reputed physicists.
https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/23/5/519
this one claims that quantum randomness is false.does this argument be strong enough to rule out QM's so-called randomness?I understand that physicists try to recover determinism and i respect those works,but is it this easy?
on the contrary we have these done by FQXI
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-70354-7
in which people argue .
pages17-45 authors shows that (Bohmian,t'hooft)models of deterministic hidden variables are ruled out,thus determinism too...
https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/23/6/772/htm#B168-entropy-23-00772
Argues time does not exist at quantum level.
How meaningful are these articles?Especially 1,recent hot threads on PF talks about this topic.What do you think of the argument that quantum randomness is chimeric?

Physics news on Phys.org
For all practical purposes quantum phenomena appear random. Whether this randomness is fundamental or emergent from deterministic laws, we don't know. It is possible to reformulate quantum laws such that they are deterministic at the fundamental law, but it's not easy. One possible route to this is Bohmian mechanics, which is not ruled out.

• Informative
Likes msumm21, physika, Delta2 and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
For all practical purposes quantum phenomena appear random. Whether this randomness is fundamental or emergent from deterministic laws, we don't know. It is possible to reformulate quantum laws such that they are deterministic at the fundamental law, but it's not easy. One possible route to this is Bohmian mechanics, which is not ruled out.
Thanks Demystifier!Known you and your work from a forum in my country long ago (paper in2010)!

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Another thing,the author here claims for no Everett or something ,he seems to indicate that randomness comes from the unknown disturbance from measurements.is this sth new?Did you read the paper?😀

Adrian Lee said:
Another thing,the author here claims for no Everett or something ,he seems to indicate that randomness comes from the unknown disturbance from measurements.is this sth new?Did you read the paper?😀
Or I guess the author didn't (or in principle cannot) intend to prove that randomness is epistemic,since he pointed out himself:this is not objectifiable.Is this correct?

Adrian Lee said:
Did you read the paper?
I did not.

Demystifier said:
I did not.
The author’s point is that epistemological randomness pervades our universe so much, that we can never have a system that is purely ontologically random.
Adrian Lee said:
Or I guess the author didn't (or in principle cannot) intend to prove that randomness is epistemic,since he pointed out himself:this is not objectifiable.Is this correct?
Nevermind,do you think this is correct?:headbang:

Adrian Lee said:
Nevermind,do you think this is correct?
I think this is not even wrong. :oldbiggrin:

Hm, yes. I'm a bit in doubt about the entire publisher, mdpi and about the journal "entropy" in particular. It has been on Beall's list of predatory journals once but was removed again later. I'm not sure whether the latter decision was a good one. For my taste there are too many articles on the edge of being crackpotery.

Likes DrChinese
vanhees71 said:
Hm, yes. I'm a bit in doubt about the entire publisher, mdpi and about the journal "entropy" in particular. It has been on Beall's list of predatory journals once but was removed again later. I'm not sure whether the latter decision was a good one. For my taste there are too many articles on the edge of being crackpotery.
Lots of great physicists admire this one(Frank Wilczek ,Caslav Brukner...)
It's like a mixture of good and bad maybe.
vanhees71 said:
Hm, yes
On my early question,yes?

Demystifier said:
I think this is not even wrong. :oldbiggrin:
Sorry. :headbang:

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:

One of the very few articles citing my work (that are not self-cites) is from mdpi-universe. It's from a reputable author, but reading the publisher is shady makes me sad.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Adrian Lee said:
How meaningful are these articles?Especially 1,recent hot threads on PF talks about this topic.What do you think of the argument that quantum randomness is chimeric?

First, this discussion belongs in the Interpretations subforum: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/quantum-interpretations-and-foundations.292/

Second, these are not good papers to reference for the correctness of their ideas. It is pretty much in the realm of pure speculation, this from the summary of the first paper.

"[R]andomness extracted from coherent superpositions or linear combinations of the quantum state might be based on the complexity of the environment rather than on the intrinsic, ontologic “oracle” nature of the state."

Third, many folks believe there is an underlying (and necessarily per Bell) nonlocal explanation for the apparent randomness in the quantum world. However, there is not a scintilla of evidence to point to an underlying cause for the observed outcome of a single measurement on a quantum superposition. Simply saying "it could be elsewhere" isn't exactly a convincing argument, and it certainly isn't new or novel. Authors have been questioning/speculating about this for the better part of 100 years.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
DrChinese said:
this discussion belongs in the Interpretations subforum
Yes, agreed. Thread has been moved.

Likes vanhees71 and DrChinese
andresB said:
One of the very few articles citing my work
May I ask what is your work about?

Likes vanhees71
Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, gentzen and Demystifier
DrChinese said:
First, this discussion belongs in the Interpretations subforum: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/quantum-interpretations-and-foundations.292/

Second, these are not good papers to reference for the correctness of their ideas. It is pretty much in the realm of pure speculation, this from the summary of the first paper.

"[R]andomness extracted from coherent superpositions or linear combinations of the quantum state might be based on the complexity of the environment rather than on the intrinsic, ontologic “oracle” nature of the state."

Third, many folks believe there is an underlying (and necessarily per Bell) nonlocal explanation for the apparent randomness in the quantum world. However, there is not a scintilla of evidence to point to an underlying cause for the observed outcome of a single measurement on a quantum superposition. Simply saying "it could be elsewhere" isn't exactly a convincing argument, and it certainly isn't new or novel. Authors have been questioning/speculating about this for the better part of 100 years.
Ok,thanks for answering the dumb question.

Guys,unwatch the thread and leave!None of these means anything to anyone anymore,back to your more meaningful work guys,stop receiving alerts from here.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy

1. What is the significance of randomness in quantum mechanics (QM)?

Randomness plays a crucial role in QM as it describes the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of subatomic particles and their behavior. This randomness is a fundamental aspect of QM and is essential for understanding and interpreting many of its phenomena.

2. How do scientists study randomness in QM?

Scientists study randomness in QM through various experiments and mathematical models. These experiments involve measuring the properties of subatomic particles, such as position and momentum, and observing their behavior to understand the role of randomness in QM.

3. What are some recent papers on randomness and QM?

Some recent papers on randomness and QM include "Randomness and Quantum Mechanics: A Review" by Alexander Vlasov and "Quantum Randomness and Information" by Giulio Chiribella and Robert W. Spekkens. These papers explore the role of randomness in QM and its implications for information processing and communication.

4. How does randomness in QM relate to the concept of determinism?

Randomness in QM challenges the traditional concept of determinism, which states that all events have a cause and are predictable. In QM, the behavior of subatomic particles is inherently random, and their future states cannot be precisely determined, leading to a more probabilistic understanding of the universe.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding randomness in QM?

Understanding randomness in QM has the potential to advance various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and information theory. It can also provide insights into the fundamental nature of reality and the limitations of our current understanding of the universe.