What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,721
What does the green rectangle next to the members name mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,722
pinball1970 said:
Green rectangle where? On mobile or desktop?

• #6,723
Ibix said:
Green rectangle where? On mobile or desktop?
Vanadium has one next to his name

1617699206402.png

• #6,724
pinball1970 said:
Just hover over the mouse pointer.

Likes pinball1970
  • #6,725
Rive said:
Just hover over the mouse pointer.
Thanks!

• #6,726
pinball1970 said:
Vanadium has one next to his name

View attachment 281030
It's where the Education Advisor badge ought to be. But the picture is missing for some reason - sitewide, I think, not just you.

Likes pinball1970
  • #6,727
I realized how cautious I am, or at least I am being. First, I usually carry two masks , in case something happens to one of them. Rare, but can happen. Today, I soiled one while eating. So I bought another one. Very unlikely something will happen to it , but the prospect of not being able to buy another one , nor do anything without a mask was enough to compel me.

• #6,728
WWGD said:
I realized how cautious I am, or at least I am being. First, I usually carry two masks , in case something happens to one of them. Rare, but can happen. Today, I soiled one while eating. So I bought another one. Very unlikely something will happen to it , but the prospect of not being able to buy another one , nor do anything without a mask was enough to compel me.
I would recommend upgrading from cloth (if that's what you're using) to something more protective if you're worried about Covid at this stage.

By now you can easily find multipacks of real high quality masks, like kn95's, online (e.g. on Amazon). And surgical masks are easy to come by in large packs as well in many places.

• #6,729
Jarvis323 said:
I would recommend upgrading from cloth (if that's what you're using) to something more protective if you're worried about Covid at this stage.

By now you can easily find multipacks of real high quality masks, like kn95's, online (e.g. on Amazon). And surgical masks are easy to come by in large packs as well in many places.
Thanks, my concern was mostly about nit being able to do anything , enter any store/building because of not having a mask.

• #6,730
WWGD said:
Today, I soiled one while eating.

You were eating... with the mask on? 🧐

• Haha
Likes hmmm27
  • #6,731
etotheipi said:
You were eating... with the mask on? 🧐
No, I put it close to my plate and some meat sauce fell on it. Unfortunately it was a blue mask, so no way to hide it.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
  • #6,732
WWGD said:
No, I put it close to my plate and some meat sauce fell on it. Unfortunately it was a blue mask, so no way to hide it.
tragic. sorry for your loss :frown:

Likes WWGD
  • #6,733
Same again with this lady looking at a map on the streets. " You are Here". She asks " How do they know?".

• #6,734
WWGD said:
Same again with this lady looking at a map on the streets. " You are Here". She asks " How do they know?".
I suppose you have told her that "being here" is transitive.

• #6,735
etotheipi said:
tragic. sorry for your loss :frown:
It was very good sauce.

Likes etotheipi
  • #6,736
Keith_McClary said:
It was very good sauce.
I kept the mask and will throw it into the rice tomorrow...

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
  • #6,737
"What do you prefer: go make a change or status quo?" - Eddy
"I wish I could have kept status quo before that mistake," - me

• #6,738
bagasme said:
"What do you prefer: go make a change or status quo?" - Eddy
"I wish I could have kept status quo before that mistake," - me
This is the " Dialog of the Ages" between conservatives and liberals. The two ideally keep each other in check so that change happens, but it is not too hasty. A dialectic, if you will.

• #6,739
fresh_42 said:
I suppose you have told her that "being here" is transitive.
I think it comes down to a sort of fixed point theorem/result. Maybe a contraction map theorem.

Last edited:
  • #6,740
WWGD said:
This is the " Dialog of the Ages" between conservatives and liberals. The two ideally keep each other in check so that change happens, but it is not too hasty.
Those parties are so successful with keeping each other in check that conservativism is no longer what it's used to be and liberals are just stuck in the past.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,741
Rive said:
Those parties are so successful with keeping each other in check that conservativism is no longer what it's used to be and liberals are just stuck in the past.
The usual difference between dictionary definitions and reality.

• #6,742
WWGD said:
The usual difference between dictionary definitions and reality.
This leads to strange situations: You can be too conservative to be conservative, and too liberal to be liberal.

Edit: Or even both!

Last edited:
  • #6,743
Just like being the world's tallest dwarf or shortest giant ;).

• #6,744
fresh_42 said:
This leads to strange situations: You can be too conservative to be conservative, and too liberal to be liberal.

Edit: Or even both!
Not sure I have noticed it. Maybe a German thing?

• #6,745
What do you do when you overhear someone say they will feed their dogs a vegan diet, because " It's healthier and better for the environment"?

• #6,746
WWGD said:
What do you do when you overhear someone say they will feed their dogs a vegan diet, because " It's healthier and better for the environment"?
May I swap your dog with my rabbit?

Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
  • #6,747
fresh_42 said:
May I swap your dog with my rabbit?
Sorry, I am not hip to your slang.

• #6,748
"If nothing in the world is for the faints of heart, should they exist, or must their heart be stronger?" - Eurosceptics

• #6,749
Great new feature in printers. Can now specify pages , as in e.g., 1, 5, 7-10, 13. Instead of having to stop and start. Maybe just new to me, haven't done any printing in a while.

• #6,750
bagasme said:
"If nothing in the world is for the faints of heart, should they exist, or must their heart be stronger?" - Eurosceptics
Talking about Eurosceptics, is Brexit finally through? It seems to have taken endlessly to be implemented.

• #6,751
WWGD said:
Great new feature in printers. Can now specify pages , as in e.g., 1, 5, 7-10, 13. Instead of having to stop and start. Maybe just new to me, haven't done any printing in a while.
A while? The understatement of the day!
WWGD said:
Talking about Eurosceptics, is Brexit finally through? It seems to have taken endlessly to be implemented.
Yes. All economic obstacles are in place and work. Stupidity has again achieved a huge victory!

• #6,752
fresh_42 said:
A while? The understatement of the day!

Yes. All economic obstacles are in place and work. Stupidity has again achieved a huge victory!
It seems some exiters are now saying they did not understand the implications of the vote. But maybe I should stop the political posts. Edit: And few consider the implications the EU had towards cutting down on intra-Euro wars ( which would end up involving outsiders).

• #6,753
The naked numbers speak for themselves. One doesn't have to have an opinion or even debate. EU exports to the UK dropped by 20% and UK Exports to the EU by 40% (in the news this morning). And the impact on the huge British financial industry sector hasn't even started to show all its consequences.

It is less a political debate than it is one about mankind in general. Our history has a famous example of collective stupidity. Goebbels held a speech in 1943 in which he culminated with: "Do you want the total war?" and the masses shouted - who wonders - "Yes!" One has to know this if one wants to understand why general polls are not allowed to automatically become law here.

Or as Tommy Lee Jones had put it:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

• #6,754
fresh_42 said:
The naked numbers speak for themselves. One doesn't have to have an opinion or even debate. EU exports to the UK dropped by 20% and UK Exports to the EU by 40% (in the news this morning). And the impact on the huge British financial industry sector hasn't even started to show all its consequences.

It is less a political debate than it is one about mankind in general. Our history has a famous example of collective stupidity. Goebbels held a speech in 1943 in which he culminated with: "Do you want the total war?" and the masses shouted - who wonders - "Yes!" One has to know this if one wants to understand why general polls are not allowed to automatically become law here.

Or as Tommy Lee Jones had put it:
I suspect there was some issue bitgering Brits, on how it was mainly the SE that was benefitting economically
main-qimg-ab98455679ea706e3e86041868b47b23.jpeg

• #6,755
WWGD said:
Should be a crime to have soggy/noncrispy bacon. It seems to go well with everything. I see vegans hating on me when I eat bacon , because they know what they're missing. But not soggy bacon. Its disgusting. Sounds like rich food, apt for winter.
You probably wouldn't like Irish (style) bacon then. Irish bacon is essentially a thickish slab of soggy, almost gelatinous meat. I'm guessing most American's wouldn't even recognize it as "bacon." [Edit: Also, it's traditionally boiled, rather than fried, if you can imagine that.]

Oh, and don't get me started about the "pudding."

Last edited:
Likes WWGD