What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,876
gmax137 said:
I remember a phoney contest in Mad Magazine where the prize was "a semester at the William Shatner school of acting."
Rip MAD. I wonder how those who worked there could transition to more traditional occupations.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,877
Mad Magazine, and then the National Lampoon. Some of those were hilarious from front to back.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,878
WWGD said:
Rip MAD. I wonder how those who worked there could transition to more traditional occupations.
I ask myself the same about the guys who made spongebob. Did they run out of weed?

• #7,879
fresh_42 said:
I ask myself the same about the guys who made spongebob. Did they run out of weed?
I agree that in general if you've watched most cartoons you have a good idea of what the pot/drug experience is like.

• #7,880
gmax137 said:
Mad Magazine, and then the National Lampoon. Some of those were hilarious from front to back.
Did you watch MadTv? I thought it had some pretty good stuff. And further back, " In Living Color" had some good stuff too. Not quite the same, but , hey, what you going to do? I ran into Living Color when someone recommend skits from Oswald Bates. I am glad I checked them out.

• #7,881
fresh_42 said:

Likes BillTre and fresh_42
  • #7,882
SpongeBob was born from a bad trip.

• #7,883
Oxbridge? Why not Cambford? No one asked me.

• #7,884
WWGD said:
SpongeBob was born from a bad trip.
That explains the many disgusting close-ups.

• #7,885
fresh_42 said:
That explains the many disgusting close-ups.
What explains, though, that I sent a text time stamped at 5:15 p.m and the reply came back ( same time zone) time-stamped 5:08 p.m ?

• #7,886
WWGD said:
What explains, though, that I sent a text time stamped at 5:15 p.m and the reply came back ( same time zone) time-stamped 5:08 p.m ?
You're far too fast. You must slow down. I know it is difficult in a city like NYC where everybody is constantly in a hurry, but you have to force yourself. Don't travel back in time.

• #7,887
fresh_42 said:
You're far too fast. You must slow down. I know it is difficult in a city like NYC where everybody is constantly in a hurry, but you have to force yourself. Don't travel back in time.
I won't try to kill nor disturb my parents...

• #7,888
Why not use the last name ' Rowave' if your first name is Mike?

• #7,889
Had a right giggle this morning, one of my favourite scenes from this show. 😜

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian
  • #7,890
Looks like the shed at Dulwich. Great food!

• #7,891
Nice image
main-qimg-2f1e7aa159edb70e1716f71867e6835f-mzj.jpeg

Likes BillTre
  • #7,892
Kind of weird that suddenly raw sugar has a sweetening effect to my taste buds. After I had started using Splenda, Equal, nothing else worked as a sweetener.

• #7,893
you can buy tea that tastes like toast and jam from tesco

• #7,894
ergospherical said:
How about one tasting like eggs and bacon?

• #7,895
WWGD said:
How about one tasting like eggs and bacon?
that's distusting

• #7,896
ergospherical said:
that's distusting
Well, they have ice cream in all sorts of I usual flavors: black bean, potatos, etc. , so it seems like the next step.

• #7,897
I remember the grimace I elicited in this Brit when I told him I drink my tea iced, instant Lipton, with two Splenda. But I do put my pinky sideways while drinking it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BillTre and Keith_McClary
  • #7,898
Weird how my Android phone charging time doubled when I charged while the phone was off. From an average of some 170 minutes with phone on, " standard"; 140 minutes on and airplane mode, to 280 minutes when the phone was off. ?

• #7,899
WWGD said:
Weird how my Android phone charging time doubled when I charged while the phone was off. From an average of some 170 minutes with phone on, " standard"; 140 minutes on and airplane mode, to 280 minutes when the phone was off. ?
That’s when the intelligence agencies are scanning your phone.

• #7,900
caz said:
That’s when the intelligence agencies are scanning your phone.
It's such an absurd outlier. Maybe I'll take more accurate data to estimate the variability ( which had been small) , since this seems like a ##5\sigma##+ deviation.

• #7,901
WWGD said:
It's such an absurd outlier. Maybe I'll take more accurate data to estimate the variability ( which had been small) , since this seems like a ##5\sigma##+ deviation.
Some phones will only do automatic backups when plugged in and with access to wifi. I am not sure if this occurs if they are off.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,902
ergospherical said:
They should just call it toast jam.

• #7,903
caz said:
Some phones will only do automatic backups when plugged in and with access to wifi. I am not sure if this occurs if they are off.
I could try to test by tracking battery use but it seems hard to control for variables affecting it.

• #7,904
Wifi settings answered my question on a Topology problem: Open, Connected ?

• #7,905
Datsun? Is there any other sun, aka, Dissun?

Likes Bystander
  • #7,906
if lectures are online again next year then I'll probably jump out my window
wonder if I can go a whole two years with no proper friends at uni :-p

• #7,907
ergospherical said:
if lectures are online again next year then I'll probably jump out my window
wonder if I can go a whole two years with no proper friends at uni :-p
We hope you'll restrict your jumping to the virtual realm.

• #7,908
I was getting strange looks when I was telking someone how great the show " Burn Unit" was. Then I saw the add for ..." Burn Notice". Miss the show.

• #7,909
Weird emails, files. Time for Wireshark , I guess.

• #7,910
Quick poll: what's been the best TV show of 2021 so far? Options:

A. Clarkson's farm
B. Clarkson's farm
C. Clarkson's farm
D. Clarkson's farm