What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
What does the green rectangle next to the members name mean?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
What does the green rectangle next to the members name mean?
Green rectangle where? On mobile or desktop?
 
Ibix said:
Green rectangle where? On mobile or desktop?
Vanadium has one next to his name

1617699206402.png
 
pinball1970 said:
What does the green rectangle next to the members name mean?
Just hover over the mouse pointer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Rive said:
Just hover over the mouse pointer.
Thanks!
 
pinball1970 said:
Vanadium has one next to his name

View attachment 281030
It's where the Education Advisor badge ought to be. But the picture is missing for some reason - sitewide, I think, not just you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I realized how cautious I am, or at least I am being. First, I usually carry two masks , in case something happens to one of them. Rare, but can happen. Today, I soiled one while eating. So I bought another one. Very unlikely something will happen to it , but the prospect of not being able to buy another one , nor do anything without a mask was enough to compel me.
 
WWGD said:
I realized how cautious I am, or at least I am being. First, I usually carry two masks , in case something happens to one of them. Rare, but can happen. Today, I soiled one while eating. So I bought another one. Very unlikely something will happen to it , but the prospect of not being able to buy another one , nor do anything without a mask was enough to compel me.
I would recommend upgrading from cloth (if that's what you're using) to something more protective if you're worried about Covid at this stage.

By now you can easily find multipacks of real high quality masks, like kn95's, online (e.g. on Amazon). And surgical masks are easy to come by in large packs as well in many places.
 
Jarvis323 said:
I would recommend upgrading from cloth (if that's what you're using) to something more protective if you're worried about Covid at this stage.

By now you can easily find multipacks of real high quality masks, like kn95's, online (e.g. on Amazon). And surgical masks are easy to come by in large packs as well in many places.
Thanks, my concern was mostly about nit being able to do anything , enter any store/building because of not having a mask.
 
WWGD said:
Today, I soiled one while eating.

You were eating... with the mask on? 🧐
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27
etotheipi said:
You were eating... with the mask on? 🧐
No, I put it close to my plate and some meat sauce fell on it. Unfortunately it was a blue mask, so no way to hide it.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
WWGD said:
No, I put it close to my plate and some meat sauce fell on it. Unfortunately it was a blue mask, so no way to hide it.
tragic. sorry for your loss :frown:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Same again with this lady looking at a map on the streets. " You are Here". She asks " How do they know?".
 
WWGD said:
Same again with this lady looking at a map on the streets. " You are Here". She asks " How do they know?".
I suppose you have told her that "being here" is transitive.
 
etotheipi said:
tragic. sorry for your loss :frown:
It was very good sauce.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
Keith_McClary said:
It was very good sauce.
I kept the mask and will throw it into the rice tomorrow...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Keith_McClary
"What do you prefer: go make a change or status quo?" - Eddy
"I wish I could have kept status quo before that mistake," - me
 
bagasme said:
"What do you prefer: go make a change or status quo?" - Eddy
"I wish I could have kept status quo before that mistake," - me
This is the " Dialog of the Ages" between conservatives and liberals. The two ideally keep each other in check so that change happens, but it is not too hasty. A dialectic, if you will.
 
fresh_42 said:
I suppose you have told her that "being here" is transitive.
I think it comes down to a sort of fixed point theorem/result. Maybe a contraction map theorem.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
This is the " Dialog of the Ages" between conservatives and liberals. The two ideally keep each other in check so that change happens, but it is not too hasty.
Those parties are so successful with keeping each other in check that conservativism is no longer what it's used to be and liberals are just stuck in the past.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Rive said:
Those parties are so successful with keeping each other in check that conservativism is no longer what it's used to be and liberals are just stuck in the past.
The usual difference between dictionary definitions and reality.
 
WWGD said:
The usual difference between dictionary definitions and reality.
This leads to strange situations: You can be too conservative to be conservative, and too liberal to be liberal.

Edit: Or even both!
 
Last edited:
Just like being the world's tallest dwarf or shortest giant ;).
 
fresh_42 said:
This leads to strange situations: You can be too conservative to be conservative, and too liberal to be liberal.

Edit: Or even both!
Not sure I have noticed it. Maybe a German thing?
 
What do you do when you overhear someone say they will feed their dogs a vegan diet, because " It's healthier and better for the environment"?
 
WWGD said:
What do you do when you overhear someone say they will feed their dogs a vegan diet, because " It's healthier and better for the environment"?
May I swap your dog with my rabbit?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
May I swap your dog with my rabbit?
Sorry, I am not hip to your slang.
 
"If nothing in the world is for the faints of heart, should they exist, or must their heart be stronger?" - Eurosceptics
 
Great new feature in printers. Can now specify pages , as in e.g., 1, 5, 7-10, 13. Instead of having to stop and start. Maybe just new to me, haven't done any printing in a while.
 
bagasme said:
"If nothing in the world is for the faints of heart, should they exist, or must their heart be stronger?" - Eurosceptics
Talking about Eurosceptics, is Brexit finally through? It seems to have taken endlessly to be implemented.