Random Variables: Calculating E[X|Y]

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the expected value E[X|Y] given certain information and conditions. The person providing the summary explains that E[X|Y] is the expected value of X given a specific value for Y, and the method for calculating it involves using the conditional probability density function and weighted integration. The conversation also touches on the concept of biconditional statements and clarifies the probabilities involved in calculating E[X|Y].
Joshuarr

Homework Statement

This is an example in a textbook; it already has the solution. I don't understand how E[X|Y] was obtained though. So my question is how do I calculate E[X|Y] from the information given?

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/484/20120413134552578.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/770/20120413134653906.jpg
This last part is probably not needed to solve the problem, I think. But I am adding it for completeness and context.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3802/20120413141622958.jpg

E[X] is the expected value, or mean, of X.

Homework Equations

[tex] E[X|Y] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x f_{X|Y}(x|y)dx [/tex]

Law of Total Variance: var(X) = E[var(X|Y)] + var(E[X|Y])

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how X is dependent on Y. It seems to me that Y is dependent on X! I'm really lost with this material, though. I don't have fX|Y(x|y) and I think that E[X|Y] is independent of Y, which would imply that E[X|Y] = E[X].
[tex]E[X] = 1/2\int_{0}^{1} x dx + 1/4\int_{1}^{3} x dx
= 1/2*1 + 1/4*2 = 1?[/tex]
E[X|Y] is supposed to be a random variable that is a function of Y though. I just don't see how Y plays any part in the computation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just forget about the integrals and junk and just think about what that is telling you to do.

E[X|Y=y] says what is the expected value of the variable X given we know Y is a certain value. So, Y can take on 2 values -- 1 and 2. Let's write these out:
E[X|Y = 1] and E[X|Y = 2]

So what do we know about X if we know Y = 1? We know, by the definition of Y, that X < 1. So the conditional pdf of X is the region between 0 and 1 normalized such that the area from 0 to 1 equals 1.Like this:
[tex]f_{X|Y=1}(x) = \frac{f_X(x)}{p[Y=1]}[/tex]
where f_x(x) is only nonzero where y = 1 (meaning x < 1)
[tex]f_{X|Y=1}(x) = \frac{f_X(x)}{\int\limits_{0}^{1} f_X(x)dx}=\frac{f_X(x)}{\frac{1}{2}}=2f_X(x)[/tex]
Once we have this conditional pdf, just plug it into the integral definition of expectation
[tex]\int\limits_{0}^{1} 2xf_X(x) dx [/tex]
Note, again, the limits here are because this f_X(x) (it is bad notation, I know) is actually nonzero only where x < 1 since it comes from finding the P[X <= x AND Y = y] in the equation
[tex] P[X \le x | Y = y] = \frac{P[X \le x \cap Y = y]}{P[Y=y]}[/tex]

For the other one, it's the exact same except we know x is greater than or equal to 1.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.

Can we always assume the if is biconditional (if and only if)? It seems that you interpret IF x <1, then Y=1 to also mean, IF Y =1, then x <1.

I'm also not sure why [tex]f_{X|Y=1}(x) = 2*f_X(x) = 1[/tex] I think this is the probability for E[X|Y=1], isn't it supposed to be 1/2?

I assumed that f_X(x) = 1/2, since that's its value between 0 and 1.

Joshuarr said:
Thanks for answering.

Can we always assume the if is biconditional (if and only if)? It seems that you interpret IF x <1, then Y=1 to also mean, IF Y =1, then x <1.

I'm also not sure why [tex]f_{X|Y=1}(x) = 2*f_X(x) = 1[/tex] I think this is the probability for E[X|Y=1], isn't it supposed to be 1/2?

I assumed that f_X(x) = 1/2, since that's its value between 0 and 1.

There is no interpretation. If someone tells you the only way you can make Y = 1 is for X < 1 and they also tell you Y = 1, you know X < 1.

I derived for you the conditional pdf. The conditional expectation is found through weighted integration of the conditional pdf:
[tex]E\{X|Y=1\}=\int\limits_{0}^{1} 2xf_X(x) dx =\int\limits_{0}^{1} 2x\frac{1}{2} dx=\int\limits_{0}^{1} x dx=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

But of course, you can just use the common sense notion of expectation to figure it out. The first one is uniform from 0 to 1, so its average value is 1/2. The second is uniform from 1 to 3, so its average value is 2.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your clarification. The problem that I was having was rationalizing how the probability of E[X|Y=1] and E[X|Y=2] is 1/2, but I think I understand now.

Thank you!

1. What does E[X|Y] represent in random variables?

E[X|Y] represents the expected value of the random variable X, given that the random variable Y has a specific value or falls within a certain range. It is a measure of the average value of X when Y is known.

2. How is E[X|Y] calculated?

E[X|Y] is calculated by taking the sum of all possible values of X multiplied by their corresponding probabilities, given that Y has a specific value or falls within a certain range. This is then divided by the total number of possible values for Y.

3. What is the relationship between E[X|Y] and conditional probability?

E[X|Y] and conditional probability are closely related, as they both involve calculating the probability of an event given certain conditions. However, E[X|Y] is a measure of the expected value of a random variable, while conditional probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring.

4. Can E[X|Y] be negative?

Yes, E[X|Y] can be negative if the values of X and Y have a negative correlation. This means that as the value of Y increases, the value of X decreases, resulting in a negative expected value.

5. How is E[X|Y] used in real-world applications?

E[X|Y] is commonly used in finance, engineering, and other fields to make predictions and inform decision-making. For example, it can be used to calculate the expected return on an investment given certain market conditions, or to determine the expected lifespan of a product given certain environmental factors.