1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Random Walk - Falling into a pool

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A clown stands at the side of a swimming pool. In his hand is a bag containing [tex]n[/tex] red balls and [tex]n[/tex] blue balls. At each step he puts his hand into the bag and pulls out a random ball and throws it away. If the ball is red, he makes a step towards the pool and if it is blue, he makes a step away from the pool. What is the probability that the clown falls in to the pool?

3. The attempt at a solution

Let R be the probability that he draws a red ball. Let B be the probability he draws a blue ball.

P(falling) = R + B[tex]\left[ RR + RB... \right][/tex]

I want to do some kind of recursion but I'm not exactly sure if I'm approaching this problem correctly.

Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    Draw a tree diagram and look at the probability that you fall into the pool the first step, the second step etc. Try find a formula and sum all these probabilities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook