1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Randomized Complete Block Design - Scheffe Multiple Comparison

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working on a problem in Design and Analysis of Experiments by Dean and Voss. It's Chapter 10 question 11 part c.

We have an experiment with 2 treatment factors (each with three levels) and 1 blocking factor (with four levels. It's a randomized complete block design so only one experimental unit per treatment/block combination:

[tex]y_{hij} = \mu + \theta_h + \alpha_i + \beta_j + (\alpha\beta)_{ij} + \epsilon_{hij}[/tex]
    where [itex]\theta_h[/itex] refers to the [itex]h^{th}[/itex] block effect and [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] refers to the effect of factor A, [itex]\beta_j[/itex] refers to the effect of factor B and [itex](\alpha\beta)_{ij}[/itex] refers to the interaction between the 2.

The experimenters want Scheffe 95% confidence intervals for normalized contrasts in the main effects of each factor to be no wider than 10. A pilot experiment was run to give an estimate for MSE equal to 670. How many subjects are needed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The width of a Scheffe interval is defined to be [itex]2\sqrt{(3−1)F_{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}} \sqrt{MSE}[/itex]

Where [itex]8(b−1)[/itex] is the degrees of freedom of SSE and MSE is the variance of the contrasts since they are normalized.

If this is to be less than or equal to 10 then [itex]F_{2,8(b−1),0.05} \leq \frac{25}{670∗2}=0.0186567[/itex]

My problem is that I don't think I can possibly make this inequality work because the F critical values never go below 3 for a numerator degree of freedom equal to 2. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Am I making a mistake or is there something wrong with the question? Thank you

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

[EDIT]
    I was wrong with my first post...
    Your algebra was right...it is the MSE that will change.
    You were given that the width is
    ## 2\sqrt{(3−1)F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}} \sqrt{ MSE} < 10 ## .
    Rearranging and squaring gives: ##(3−1)F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}< \frac{25}{MSE} ##.
    So you want to find: ##F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}< \frac{25}{2 MSE} ##.
    Remember that your MSE for these purposes will be affected by the sample size...where does that fit in?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted