Range of projectile traveling through two points at same elevation

In summary, the conversation was about a projectile being fired at an initial velocity V_o and passing through two points a distance h above the horizontal. The question was how to show that if the gun is adjusted for maximum range, the separation of the points would be? The solution involved using equations A=v_0 t cos45 and h=v_0 t sin45-(1/2)gt^2, and finding h in terms of A by using the formula tan(45)=h/A. The speaker also mentioned creating a variable A in order to get A in terms of h and subtract it from the maximum range.
UrbanXrisis
"A projectile is fired with an initial velocity [tex]V_o[/tex] such that it passes through two points both a distant h above the horizontal. Show that if the gun is adjusted for a maximum range the separation of the potins is?"

my work is http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/projectile.pdf"

does it look correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
h/A does NOT equal tan 45. Just look at your picture to see this.
Find h in terms of A by using the eqs. A=v_0 t cos45 and
h=v_0 t sin45-(1/2)gt^2.

I'm not sure why they would not be equal.

Opposite/Adjacent = tan(theta)

The side opposite to the angle is h
The side Adjacent to the angle is A

so the equation should read: tan(45)=h/A

and why would I want to get h in terms of A? Dont I want A in terms of h?

I made up the variable A so I that I could get A in terms of h and subtract it from the max range.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a baseball, a bullet, or a rocket.

2. What does "range" mean in the context of projectile motion?

The range of a projectile refers to the horizontal distance it travels from its initial point of launch to its final point of impact. This is affected by factors such as the angle of launch, velocity, and air resistance.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = v2sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Why is it important to consider the elevation of two points when calculating the range of a projectile?

The elevation of two points is important because it affects the angle of launch and the height of the projectile's path. This can significantly impact the range of the projectile, as the higher the elevation, the longer the projectile will stay in the air.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the range of a projectile?

Understanding the range of a projectile is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. It is used to design trajectory paths for rockets and missiles, to calculate the distance of a golf swing, and to predict the flight of a bullet fired from a gun.